VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost of the products are list price of course and I'll do my best to find the parts at better prices. I would budget for about $2300.00 and you'd be safe.

All I can guarantee is that you will have a kick ass system and if your not happy I will buy it back from you.

Killer Deal! Figure a couple of trips to the dyno is worth what, $400?

Anyone want to buy a kidney for $2700.00?

LOL... Should only need one trip to the dyno to see how much horsepower you ended up with. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to see if the manifold/exhaust improvements will net more horsepower than my last street setup. If you drop the price on the kidney you may get more bites.

Gary, the guy I am working with on doing dyno testing of different systems is willing to do the turbo setup too. We are going to be posting info we have so far maybe as early as tonight. I have some prelim info now but want to get some more clarification on a few details.

All stock engine with diff carb and exhaust setups. So far, started with jardine slip/ons and finished up UFO 4-1 with diff kits. Moving on to 4-2 UFO next then on to the 4-1's.

Sean

LOL... Should only need one trip to the dyno to see how much horsepower you ended up with. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to see if the manifold/exhaust improvements will net more horsepower than my last street setup. If you drop the price on the kidney you may get more bites.

I know you posted about swapping the heads around so the exhaust was on the inside.
What other manifold/exhaust improvements are you talking about???

I know you posted about swapping the heads around so the exhaust was on the inside.
What other manifold/exhaust improvements are you talking about???

I won't be swapping the heads around on this setup. That will only be when the EFI is totally fool proof. The thing that concerns me most with the EFI is the end user friendliness. I don't want something that requires a rocket scientist degree to tune. This will be very friendly in that you will have only one carburetor to deal with.

The improvements will be in the turbo sizing and plenum flow of the draw thru design I miss very much... simple and very effective. It will be very easy to upgrade to EFI with lots of features for adding other power adders... NOS, Water Alcohol Injection etc. Most of all I want it to look like it belongs on the bike. So the person I'm looking for is someone who wants to work at those kinds of things... development and lots of horsepower.

Gary, the guy I am working with on doing dyno testing of different systems is willing to do the turbo setup too. We are going to be posting info we have so far maybe as early as tonight. I have some prelim info now but want to get some more clarification on a few details.

All stock engine with diff carb and exhaust setups. So far, started with jardine slip/ons and finished up UFO 4-1 with diff kits. Moving on to 4-2 UFO next then on to the 4-1's.

Sean

Sean,

That's what I like... lots and lots of testing. Looking forward to seeing that. I've run most, but have always liked the Kerker best for a power pipe. Not sure right now how to deal with the testing of the turbo setup I'm offering.

Is anybody truely interested in having a turbo setup?

I think you already know that I am in... I just purchased my first part... got the wastegate crossed off the list :clapping:.

And guys, if any of you are on the fence with getting a turbo/not getting a turbo, GO FOR IT!!!!!! I'd be willing to bet almost anything you will not regret it!!!!! Nitrous is great, but you are always filling the bottle, with a turbo, the power is always there, plus you get that sweet whine when you are getting into it.

But isnt turbo on a bike predictibly unpredictible?:ummm:eek:r is it just amatter of getting use to it:ummm:

I'm sure Gary will have a better answer for you as he has much more experience with turbos, but for me, the turbo acts very similar to a 2-stroke with a STRONG powerband... when you reach that point, there is plenty of power but I wouldn't say unpredictable. With my drag bike if you get into it hard and start to wheelie, and then get out of it, it is pretty hard to get back into it gently since the boost has been built and the bike wants to go. I would also bet that my carb setup (S&S Super B) make matters worse. I have been told that this carb is great for the track, but not the street. Gary will be using the Mikuni 42mm HSR carb and is good for both the street and track. Adding a turbo isn't really any more unpredictable, just lots more power and you have to know that before you wack the throttle. It would be very similar to jumping on a Busa for the first time... it you hit wide open throttle right away, it may bite ya.

Im willing to learn, this is my only experience with a turbo:punk:lots of fun and sorry guys prolly smoke most sixties muscle cars.

Attachments

• 94 vulcan 750 046.jpg
    94 vulcan 750 046.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 64
Nice car! Is it stock? On a serious note.... A turbo can run with little or lots of boost. That's the advantage over the supercharger. There are some sweet boost controllers out there that can time/add boost on demand. That's how those high power no wheelie bar bikes make those incredable seven second runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiuXOQA1TBk

:pullhair::hijacked::eek:fftopic::protest: lol... NICE BIKE! Bet it goes for big dollars if anyone has the money to buy it. Lots of good deals out there.

Are we going to be seeing pics of this Vmax Turbo project as it comes into being???

Please document this stuff.... I'm sure we all want to see the finished project as well as the dyno numbers.

Vinnie

Are we going to be seeing pics of this Vmax Turbo project as it comes into being???

Please document this stuff.... I'm sure we all want to see the finished project as well as the dyno numbers.

Vinnie

+1:biglaugh:

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Be sure to let us know Gary...:clapping:

+1:biglaugh:

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Be sure to let us know Gary...:clapping:

Hummm.... Think I'm going to join the secret society. Will post pics eventually and of course build pics in confidence to the person who signed up for the program. :lol_hitting:

Over 600 views and time for a reality check... Is there someone that is really wanting to have a turbo and take advantage of my offer? I'm not interested in using used components. This will be the beginning of a commercially available turbo kit. Don't want to spend time diagnosing problems because a lesser quality component was used. If you want to go that route you can buy the manifold and components of the system later and do the experimenting. Review the guidelines and commit no later than Friday (12-11-09) of this week. I will need the parts by 1-30-10 and the system will be delivered to you by 3-30-10. If you don't like what you get. Send the system back within 2 weeks of accepting delivery and I'll refund your money spent for the components.

Requirements:
  1. Your engine must have the stock deck height with no head milling.(Larger displacement OK)
  2. You purchase (my choice of products) the turbo, waste gate and 42 or 48 mm Mikuni carb (depending on your bikes displacement) and the stainless steel for the exhaust with the exhaust can of your choice (or no can).
  3. Purchase any other commercial parts you would like to add.
  4. Have your setup dyno'd and report the results.
In turn I will supply the aluminum for the manifold and do all of the machine work and fabrication free of charge. You will install the system on your bike.

I plan to use high quality components for the beta. Turbonetics or Comp Turbo for the turbo. The waste gate will be Turbosmart. The Mikuni HSR 42 Flatslide will be purchased from Mr. Turbo. . The system will be capable of producing 20+ pounds of boost. For the stock Vmax you will be able to run up to about 8 PSI (180 HP). Above that you should upgrade to a good set of turbo pistons for your engine.

So your looking at

Turbo $950.00
Wastegate $300.00
Carb $500.00
Stainless, Clamps, Gaskets (exhaust) $400.00
Can (exhaust) ?... your choice
Polishing/Anodizing colors etc. will be your option.

The cost of the products are list price of course and I'll do my best to find the parts at better prices. I would budget for about $2300.00 and you'd be safe.

hey gary,

Got one of my overseas customers looking for maybe two kits.

One of the bikes (a friends) has a 1300cc set up with new sleeves, Carrilo Rods, aftermarket flat head pistons, bronze bushings and etc - chain driven, 41 Keihin FCR. He is also looking to go for 1500cc turbo set up

His other bike is 1300cc with new sleeves again - standard rods and pistons, strengthened engine chains and new aftermarket valve springs, new bearings, Stage 7 kit.

Neither one has deck height modification. If you want to send kits to me for them I can start trying to setup with the noted companies as a dealer. I know I am seriously considering a personal kit for myself and as soon as few things sell here I will be getting that done.

Of course the bike we are doing all the dyno comparisons on would be a great candidate for the turbo and the customer has already stated he would be very interested. Let me know what you think and i'll start trying to get the pricing setup and money collected to order the parts.

Sean

hey gary,

Got one of my overseas customers looking for maybe two kits.

One of the bikes (a friends) has a 1300cc set up with new sleeves, Carrilo Rods, aftermarket flat head pistons, bronze bushings and etc - chain driven, 41 Keihin FCR. He is also looking to go for 1500cc turbo set up

His other bike is 1300cc with new sleeves again - standard rods and pistons, strengthened engine chains and new aftermarket valve springs, new bearings, Stage 7 kit.

Neither one has deck height modification. If you want to send kits to me for them I can start trying to setup with the noted companies as a dealer. I know I am seriously considering a personal kit for myself and as soon as few things sell here I will be getting that done.

Of course the bike we are doing all the dyno comparisons on would be a great candidate for the turbo and the customer has already stated he would be very interested. Let me know what you think and i'll start trying to get the pricing setup and money collected to order the parts.

Sean

Sounds good Sean I've already started the manifold details. I'll call you this weekend so we can discuss who you should set up dealer with. Nice to have a forcast of wanted parts to bargain with when talking with the suppliers.

Latest posts

Back