clutch change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had posted earlier about needing help on my 1st clutch change and it really was easy, especially with all the help.. now after about 30 miles on it is still slipping, sometimes right when I start off or after its warm... slips in about every gear.. :ummm: been reading some posts but dont want to guess.. thoughts.. Thanks, TIM

Did you bleed to line when you changed it? Accidentally squeeze the lever during the process? You might need to put a guitar string (probably high E) into one of the tiny holes in the bottom of the master cylinder to get some tiny particles out of there. It can become clogged and prevent the fluid from flowing back into the master the way it's supposed to. When the fluid heats up, it builds pressure and partially disengages the clutch (that's how I understand it). You might also want to remove and grease the brass barrel that the M/C diaphragm pin goes into in the lever. This can get just a tiny bit stuck and bind preventing the plunger from fully retracting.

Posted with my thumbs.

Any build up due to retained pressure in the hydraulic line is often accumulative. Every time you use the clutch a little more pressure is retained so the clutch will slip more.
However, you say in your previous post you cleaned it out. Would be worthwhile re-checking as there could still have been some crud in the line

Also check that the lever is moving freely and that the little push-rod twixt lever and piston is in the right way round.

If that checks out OK then it's back into the clutch for you milado.

Make sure that the steel plates are flat and if not already done roughed up with some wet 'n dry to remove any glazing. Any badly blued plates should be replaced. Thickness should be between 2.4 and 2.2 mm.
Note that as all of the metalwork of the plates have been stamped out there will be a slightly rounded edge and a 'sharp' edge. Plates should be fitted with all the edges the same way up (or down).

If everything checks OK then the most likely cause is that the diaphragm spring is weak. The standard height of the spring is 7 mm, minimum 6.5 mm

Out of curiosity what engine oil you running ? I used to use yamalube and it slipped pretty much all the time. I switch to a thicker oil 15w40 and not one slip in last 2 years ..

Latest posts

Back