Oil light under hard accelleration??? Normal or not?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newb with a question. I tried searching but found nothing so any help would be appreciated.

I just bought my 85 Vmax from an ex-coworker (love it)
My problem is that under hard accelleration the oil level light comes on, but only in 2nd gear. Is it common for these bikes to have that much slosh in the oilpan? I know the bike has the correct level of oil in it right now.

Any help would be great!

Thanx,
-Brian-

Re: Oil light under hard accell

MaxPower said:
My problem is that under hard accelleration the oil level light comes on, but only in 2nd gear. Is it common for these bikes to have that much slosh in the oilpan? I know the bike has the correct level of oil in it right now.

Any help would be great!

Thanx,
-Brian-
Brian, pretty normal under hard acceleration. No worries.

+ 1 Very common, welcome to this side of motorcycling:rocket bike:

MaxPower said:
Hi all, I am a newb with a question. I tried searching but found nothing so any help would be appreciated.

I just bought my 85 Vmax from an ex-coworker (love it)

Any help would be great!

Thanx,
-Brian-
________
Acura Legend

Last edited:

It's pretty normal. Yamaha in their grand wisdom put the oil level sensor in the front of the oil pan. So basicly, once the oil is good an hot, hotting boost in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd will cause the oil to ho the back of the pan and leave the sensor high and dry.

Just do yourself a favor and check the oil level every other ride or so as the max will burn oil with lots of boost usage.:eusa_dance:

lol this has had me worried for weeks now!! Thanks for asking man and everyone else for answering. I'll sleep alot better tonight!!

Thanks for the info guys :thumbup1:

Now I'm not so worried.

One more question on the same subject. Was Yamaha smart enough to put the oil pump pickup at the back of the oil pan or is it up front near the sensor?

The oil pickup is toward the rear....only the oil level switch is at the front.

Mark

Mine does this too. I added a little more oil (up close to the top of the sight glass) and that keeps the light from coming on.

I did the same thing on my GSX-R1000 as the oil pressure light would sometimes come on briefly after longer wheelies--more oil solved that as well. Better to have a little (a LITTLE!) extra than not enough.

Oil Light

All,

I have a 2005 V-Max with 6100 kilometers and notice that when I accelerate from the stopped position, the Oil Engine Light sometimes comes on. I have changed the oil and it's currently on the Maximum fill line. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and know how I can rectifiy it. Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks!

Re: Oil Light

It's fine, all good running Vmaxes do it. The oil level switch is in the front and during hard acceleration the oil goes to the back of the pan. No worries though, the oil pickup is also in the back.

I noticed it cam on less often when running 20W-50 motor oil.

Mark

Thanks for the quick response Mark!! It's my first Max so I'm a little nervous.
Also, just another quick question, When I first start thre bike I sometimes hear a high pitched air sound coming from the choke area. It sometimes happens when I have my finger on the choke lever so I know that's where it';s coming from. Do you know what this could be and is there a problem?

Thanks again!!

It makes an high pitched air sound when the choke is one. The cylinder is pulling fuel from the choke circuit. If you look at the lever you'll see a fork that pulls a plunger out. Make sure that plunger is all the way closed when choke is off.

I'm running the Morley air box and you can really hear the high pitched air noise with that setup.

Mark

Once again Mark thanks for the response. My service manual recommends that I have the engine serviced at 7000 Km's. I'm now at 6200 and where the bike is running fine, I'm not sure if I should bother or abide by the rule "if it's not broken, don't fix it". What's your thoughts?

What does that service include?

I change oil every 2-3000 miles and change the coolant, brake/clutch fluid and fork oil every two years. I replace the spark plugs every spring and replace the plug wires every 3 years. Fuel filter....I bought a glass Purolator so it's easy to take apart and clean when dirty. I sync the carbs once a month and sync the vboost once a year. I use BG power steering fluid for my final drive oil and will never have to change that again. I check oil level before I get on the bike. I check tire pressure once a week. I check brake pads often. I check my air filter every three months and clean/re-oil when necessary. I put a shot of Seafoam in my tank once a month and check my float levels every 6 months. If I had a new bike I would skip the 600 mile service, it's a waste. At 1500 miles I would check the valve adjustment and compression. One thing I'm bad about is lubricating the throttle cables and the vboost control cable.

If you want a long-living engine warm up the bike properly. Once the temp gauge needle gets to the first mark, wait an additional 10-15 minutes before riding the bike hard. Keep the rpms below 9500. No reason to go higher, hp/torque start to fall off at 9000 rpm anyway. My max just turned 62,000 miles, it meets or beats the performance of the brand new Vmaxes just fine. :)

I'm sure I'm missing something but will add to this post as things come to me.

Mark

I change oil every 2-3000 miles and change the coolant, brake/clutch fluid and fork oil every two years. I replace the spark plugs every spring and replace the plug wires every 3 years. Fuel filter....I bought a glass Purolator so it's easy to take apart and clean when dirty. I sync the carbs once a month. I use BG power steering fluid for my final drive oil and will never have to change that again. I check oil level before I get on the bike. I check tire pressure once a week. I check brake pads often. I check my air filter every three months and clean/re-oil when necessary. I put a shot of Seafoam in my tank once a month and check my float levels every 6 months. I'm sure I'm missing something but will add to this post as things come to me.

Mark

When the hell do you ride it???:whistlin: :confused2:

Every day!

That's why I only have 1 bike. I only have time to service/ride one!

Mark

Mark,

Is it difficult to sync the carbs and V-Boost? That's the reason i was considering the 7000km service was to have that done.

Thanks

Sync'ing carbs is easy as long as you have a synchrometer. Sync'ing the vboost requires removing the carbs. Both procedures are outlined in the Clymer service manual.

Mark

I change oil every 2-3000 miles and change the coolant, brake/clutch fluid and fork oil every two years. I replace the spark plugs every spring and replace the plug wires every 3 years. Fuel filter....I bought a glass Purolator so it's easy to take apart and clean when dirty. I sync the carbs once a month and sync the vboost once a year. I use BG power steering fluid for my final drive oil and will never have to change that again. I check oil level before I get on the bike. I check tire pressure once a week. I check brake pads often. I check my air filter every three months and clean/re-oil when necessary. I put a shot of Seafoam in my tank once a month and check my float levels every 6 months. If I had a new bike I would skip the 600 mile service, it's a waste. At 1500 miles I would check the valve adjustment and compression. One thing I'm bad about is lubricating the throttle cables and the vboost control cable.

If you want a long-living engine warm up the bike properly. Once the temp gauge needle gets to the first mark, wait an additional 10-15 minutes before riding the bike hard. Keep the rpms below 9500. No reason to go higher, hp/torque start to fall off at 9000 rpm anyway. My max just turned 62,000 miles, it meets or beats the performance of the brand new Vmaxes just fine. :)

I'm sure I'm missing something but will add to this post as things come to me.

Mark

Can I fly you up here so you could do that to mine. Plane tickets would be cheaper than the shop fees for that kind of service. I'll pay you in beer.:cheers:

Back