Sidestand

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Ok I replaced the switch and the relay and the fucker still does not turn off with the sidestand down in gear...any ideas?

Abe:bang head:

Are you checking it with the clutch lever out(fully released)? I believe you will still be able to put the bike in gear with the side stand down IF the clutch lever is still in. I know this is the case on many bikes, just not 100% on the V-max.

If side stand is down the bike will only start/run if it's in neutral regardless of clutch lever position.

Geesh, the V-max has gotta be soooo dang different from most other bikes! Thanks for the info Mark!!

Oh, I don't know, maybe use the kill switch or the key switch to shut the bike off instead of the sidestand???????????/

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
:ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm:
:confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

Oh, I don't know, maybe use the kill switch or the key switch to shut the bike off instead of the sidestand???????????/

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
:ummm::ummm::ummm::ummm:
:confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

Wow your brillant! Not! He is worried about this since its a safety issue which it can be.

Wow your brillant! Not! He is worried about this since its a safety issue which it can be.

I had a good friend nearly die on his ducati 999R a few years ago because he disconnected his sidestand switch. He took off with it down and got the bike up near 90 before trying to go into a left side sweeper. His sidestand caught and he got ejected from the bike. His head hit a speed limit sign and even with the helmet on he suffered severe head trauma and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. His kick ass 999R was totaled and the insurance company gave him hell because of what he had done.

The sidestand on my Max doesn't lock into position when it's down like a lot of bikes do. Maybe it was modified or replaced by the PO on my bike. Does everybody else's stand have that detent to lock into when parked ???

The sidestand on my Max doesn't lock into position when it's down like a lot of bikes do. Maybe it was modified or replaced by the PO on my bike. Does everybody else's stand have that detent to lock into when parked ???
Don't think there's any detent on mine. The spring is designed to create a little tension to keep the sidestand down, then pull the stand up after it reaches a certain point.

def a safety issue. I have an 85 rebel that i was fixing up and it doesn't have a switch, i would say 5% of the time after letting it warm up i'd forget to put the stand up. granted i don't trust the bike over 20 mph, but if I did, i'd def feel weird about it...

I used to ride a 700 Shadow & several times I forgot the sidestand, but as soon as I swept left in a parking lot or wherever it would just pop up into place. No problem. I believe my VMAX would do the same thing. But some bikes ( I know the newer Harleys for sure ) with the locking detent, now THAT could be dangerous. The detent is nice if your parking on a slight grade - don't have to worry about it slipping - but I would hate to forget one of those.

Well the used ignition box from Jeff cured my sidestand problem! I am very pleased about this but I still am having high rpm miss issues.

I feel like it has to be electrical but I have replaced everything electrical it would seem so far!

New coils and wires (waiting on the boots as they are on backorder). Used ignition box, new plugs...

Does anybody have any advice on the next direction I should go?

It appears there is an ignition advance buried near the crankcase somewhere. Could this be the issue and how hard is it to get at?

Thanks,
Abe

Well the used ignition box from Jeff cured my sidestand problem! I am very pleased about this but I still am having high rpm miss issues.

I feel like it has to be electrical but I have replaced everything electrical it would seem so far!

New coils and wires (waiting on the boots as they are on backorder). Used ignition box, new plugs...

Does anybody have any advice on the next direction I should go?

It appears there is an ignition advance buried near the crankcase somewhere. Could this be the issue and how hard is it to get at?

Thanks,
Abe

If you are talking about the vacuum advancer it is pretty easy to get to. Just in front the air box below the gauge pod on the left hand side. Might be not fully advancing at high rpm but dont know if that would cause a miss or not

If you are talking about the vacuum advancer it is pretty easy to get to. Just in front the air box below the gauge pod on the left hand side. Might be not fully advancing at high rpm but dont know if that would cause a miss or not

I'm leaning toward the R/R at this point as it feels like the bike is "dying" out at higher rpm/WOT.

Whats the easiest way to test that puppy?

Yep, idle. Get 1996+ r/r.

Ok...

Voltage at idle is weird...it stays steady at 13.8ish and then drops for a split second down to 11.8 for a moment and then back up....

At 2K rpm steady throttle the bike shows a steady 13.2.

It is cold and snowing here today btw, not sure if that makes a difference.

What do you think?:ummm:

Back