Frame Gusseting?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATMAX

Reaction score
So I am modding an 85 basket case and now need the info on frame gusseting. I am a fatso so a stiff frame may payoff nicely for me. I looked under "suspension" Can anyone lead me in the right direction for this info? I can't powder coat the frame and start reassembly till I weld in the gussets and tabs I need. Thanks PATMAX

Thanks for the lead Max. It is a good start but I could use more info on locations. Best picture I saw was looking toward the swingarm from the rear. I thought there were other areas to stiffen. I also was confused with the discussion of the swingarm misalignment issue. Are they suggesting using a solid rod instead or the swingarm pivot bolts? Making a rod is probably beyond my abilities. A threaded titanium rod sounds nice! Really I could use more discussion or info on the subject. Thanks, I'll start cutting some trial gussets at work tomorrow.:punk:

Thanks for the lead Max. It is a good start but I could use more info on locations. Best picture I saw was looking toward the swingarm from the rear. I thought there were other areas to stiffen. I also was confused with the discussion of the swingarm misalignment issue. Are they suggesting using a solid rod instead or the swingarm pivot bolts? Making a rod is probably beyond my abilities. A threaded titanium rod sounds nice! Really I could use more discussion or info on the subject. Thanks, I'll start cutting some trial gussets at work tomorrow.:punk:

Will try to find more pics on gussets around the swingarm pivot bolt cups. The rod is only temporary to see how bad the alighment is and also used when welding the gussets in place. It does not replace the pivot bolts when swingarm is installed. Can't use a solid rod because of the driveshaft is in the way. As far as more discussion, have a look at this article for some more info.
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/2476/wobble.htm

Mike

I did this to mine. Can't hurt. Frame flex is the worst thing. Frame braces and solid mounts help this to a point. Ride it really hard in the turns under heavy torque and it will still flex some. Brace the swingarm too!

I did this to mine. Can't hurt. Frame flex is the worst thing. Frame braces and solid mounts help this to a point. Ride it really hard in the turns under heavy torque and it will still flex some. Brace the swingarm too!

+1, I added the solid mounts, DW's frame braces and my swingarm is braced. Powering up in a sweeper or a tight corner the flex is gone.

Before it was really noticeable and made the bike a bitch to handle when it kicked in.

Back