Flywheel removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try a moderate application of heat yet as was suggested? I would suggest not doing that under-tension of the puller! A couple heat/cool sessions should do the trick, I'd think. That, and wacking the end of the puller w/a B.F. H.
images
Get her to help:
images

Did you try a moderate application of heat yet as was suggested? I would suggest not doing that under-tension of the puller! A couple heat/cool sessions should do the trick, I'd think. That, and wacking the end of the puller w/a B.F. H.
images
Get her to help:
images

I don't have any heat gun.
I do got a can of Weasel Piss and a lighter... but I don't think thats a good idea

Watch-out with that Weasel Piss!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 25
I used a harbor freight pulley with grade 8 bolts and washers.

This is what I used to pull mind off. base on what I seen, I was kinda chicken to pull it some I seen pop off and going flying, not bad as it seems. Mind I slowly would work the drill impact gun, would go back inside to eat came back out it was on the ground just fill off.

Attachments

• P1040183.JPG
    P1040183.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 44
  • vmax starter clutch puller4.JPG
    vmax starter clutch puller4.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 37
  • vmax starter clutch puller8.JPG
    vmax starter clutch puller8.JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 36
  • vmax starter clutch puller6.JPG
    vmax starter clutch puller6.JPG
    510.4 KB · Views: 41
Get a lead hammer if you ever see one at a yard sale. They are perfect for smacking the center bolt on a puller. Or hitting just about anything hard without wrecking it. Every time you whack the puller bolt,the flywheel moves a bit. Tightening up the bolt between whacks. Trying to just crank it off is asking for flying, broken bolts or a broken puller. The puller must be on straight. Supporting bushings around the bolts make the alighnment easier. PCW makes a nice looking puller. It's not cheap, but looks safe and effective.
http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm

UPDATE: Should have Wonna back tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to Sean Morley, I was able to get a certain needed part at less than half of what the Yamaha thieves parts department wanted. Freaking pulse generator for these bikes is EXPENSIVE! O_O

I do not care if it is a freakin hurricane/Nor'Easter/volcanic eruption outside, I AM GONNA GO FOR A RIDE!!!

UPDATE: Should have Wonna back tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to Sean Morley, I was able to get a certain needed part at less than half of what the Yamaha thieves parts department wanted. Freaking pulse generator for these bikes is EXPENSIVE! O_O

I do not care if it is a freakin hurricane/Nor'Easter/volcanic eruption outside, I AM GONNA GO FOR A RIDE!!!

I assume you are looking for a pick-up coil, or, were, until Sean fixed you up. Here's something that should work: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29714&highlight=pick-up+coil

esp100.jpg

It would take a bit of fabrication, but you could afford it for what the part costs!

That thread you're talking about was for my 91.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread....t=pick-up+coil

I have to tell you, that pulse pickup is still working GREAT!!.

Just be aware that it has a polarity. I had to swap the wires under my seat to get it to work.

The photo above has Red and White wires. My pulse pickup had blue and green.. No instructions to tell you what's what..

I assume you are looking for a pick-up coil, or, were, until Sean fixed you up. Here's something that should work: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29714&highlight=pick-up+coil

esp100.jpg

It would take a bit of fabrication, but you could afford it for what the part costs!
Already got a used OEM PG from Sean. Cost me $200, which is less than half than from Yamaha.

That thread you're talking about was for my 91.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread....t=pick-up+coil

I have to tell you, that pulse pickup is still working GREAT!!.

Just be aware that it has a polarity. I had to swap the wires under my seat to get it to work.

The photo above has Red and White wires. My pulse pickup had blue and green.. No instructions to tell you what's what..
One of the reasons whi I went with the used OEM one. It was test ridden today, and it is all back to perfect.

Already got a used OEM PG from Sean. Cost me $200, which is less than half than from Yamaha.

One of the reasons whi I went with the used OEM one. It was test ridden today, and it is all back to perfect.

Just wondering, did you read the link info? The price was $48.99... all you have to do is mount it to your bracket. Spot welds or pop rivets.

Then again, Sean provided you w/a known good used OEM part, no-muss, no-fuss, install it & go for a ride.

Just wondering, did you read the link info? The price was $48.99... all you have to do is mount it to your bracket. Spot welds or pop rivets.

Then again, Sean provided you w/a known good used OEM part, no-muss, no-fuss, install it & go for a ride.

That and the part I got from Sean was already in the bike when you commented the link lol
Besides, I am willing to pay extra to ensure that it 100% works.

Today. Veteran's Day 2014. I finally got my flipin flywheel off. After several weeks of trying and breaking something:ummm:. Over all it used up several bolts grade 5+ and many washers and in the end the puller tool was toast. It cracked almost an entire section off.

Its all about having the toughest of everything when taking a flywheel off a Vmax! Grade 10 gets er done:punk:.

I have removed 2 flywheels now. The trick for me was to use super heavy duty grade puller bolts and a heavy duty puller tool. Use an impact wrench to tighten it then use a metal tube/torque tube over the 19mm socket wrench and just man handle it off. The way I kept the crank shaft from spinning was to lock a crescent wrench on the front guards holding the puller tool from spinning. If your engine has completely seized, you can skip this step.

My $20 craftsman puller tool has a square chunk that you can hold it still while you man handle the socket wrench. Use a piece of POS carpet to catch everything when it finally lets loose or if you have long enough puller tool bolts, use the bolt loosely in the crankshaft while you crank on it. It allows the flywheel and ring gear to stay on the crank.

I have never had a bit of luck using a hammer to tap it off. Only thing the hammer did was mess up the 15mm head on my puller tool center shaft.

Key tool is the HD puller tool and a socket wrench with an extension tube for added leverage to match.

The key is to have the puller on straight. I've used my old harmonic balancer puller every time. Strong bolts are good, though I'll use what ever is laying around. A lead or brass hammer won't bugger up the center bolt. Just cranking away on the center bolt is going to be dangerous and time consuming.

I use a craftsman and return it when it becomes too heavily damaged. I do sand the mushroomed edges off a few times instead of just running right down each time to exchange it. Also, i sand the od of the pressure head adapter down a bit since the craftsman is just a bit on the big side

Latest posts

Back