Be careful out there!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... being someone who has been hit by a truck who didn't see me and turned left, this hit home to me. I had 10 broken bones, but survived. No matter how defensive you are, it can happen, so live life to the fullest and love whoever is close to you.
Techman

Having had an old man make a left turn right in front of me you really don't have time to think about anything except that you may die. Your life does past quickly before your eyes and if you're lucky you live to tell the tale. In my case I left my bike (Honda 750F) and flew over the car and landed on my back on the sidewalk between a telephone pole and fire hydrant. I don't remember the impact at all, just seeing the sky and the ground. I only had some road rash and broke the big toe (under the shift lever at impact). The bike was pretty much totaled and it seems all the body work on car was offset (none of the cars door would open:biglaugh:). That was about 30 years ago and I still remember it as if it was yesterday. Be safe out there and enjoy life.

According to another write-up regarding this collision, the bike was traveling 97 mph, in a 60 zone.
The car driver was charged with careless driving, and lost his license for 18 months.

According to another write-up regarding this collision, the bike was traveling 97 mph, in a 60 zone.
The car driver was charged with careless driving, and lost his license for 18 months.
Yeah everything I have seen said the bike was hauling ass. I chalk this one up as a little of both of there fault. Its hard to judge distance with something coming that fast.

i know somebody who lost their brother in a motorcycle accident...... i don't know any details, but to this day she hates motorcycles....... motorcycles don't kill people....... it's human error that causes the loss of life. not paying attention, not taking that extra 2 seconds to double check an intersection before pulling out. everybody is always in a hurry, and i am guilty of that to, i'm sure everybody is. speed kills....... nobody would die if we went 0 mph on the roads.

I was on the way home this morning & was approaching an intersection of two two-lane urban streets, which was a traffic light. Suddenly a grey Jeep Cherokee, beat-to-s__t & sporting duct tape holding its body together, came down the wrong side of the intersecting road, and ran the traffic light, about 5 car lengths in-front of me. She passed me with the gas pedal floored, and she was on the cellphone.

Where's the traffic enforcement when it's needed? I bet this driver does this all the time, driving like an idiot, and I bet she doesn't have insurance or a license. Be vigilant on the roadways, we have people like this to avoid.

It's sad the family lost their son, but he was doing stupid speed in a populated, traffic area.

That sucks that this happened. RIP rider. I'm thinking, and I'm sure a lot of others are too, what can I do in that situation, if I even have a chance to react? My normal reation is to go left like the rider seemed to have done. And, hope the cager doesn't continue turning. It's a judgement call. Going hard right might have saved his life if at posted speed. It takes quick reaction and skill to get out of that situation. I don't think brakes woulld get me out of this. Not a lot of time to make a decision. I try to pick my spots for three digit speeds. Two way traffic isn't one of them.

He was traveling way too fast for that road, but I can't help but think, "Did he have his headlights on?" I keep my high beams on just for that reason....if I'm blinding you, then you see me!!!

That sucks that this happened. RIP rider. I'm thinking, and I'm sure a lot of others are too, what can I do in that situation, if I even have a chance to react? My normal reaction is to go left like the rider seemed to have done. And, hope the cager doesn't continue turning. It's a judgement call. Going hard right might have saved his life if at posted speed. It takes quick reaction and skill to get out of that situation. I don't think brakes would get me out of this. Not a lot of time to make a decision. I try to pick my spots for three digit speeds. Two way traffic isn't one of them.
I feel the same, Steve.
Sometimes shit happens when it's not your fault, or beyond your control.... that's bad luck, fate, karma, ying/yang, or whatever you wish to call it.
Sometimes shit happens when it's primarily/totally your fault.....this is when you accept the consequences, and take responsibility for your actions.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Cheers! - and ride safe:punk:

Back