Whats Your Vmax like to Drink

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Max is pretty heavily modified and I'm darned if I can tell any difference between octane grades. No pre-detonation, no nothing. About the only thing I do is add a half pint of Seafoam every few tanks but I can ride pretty much year round here in the state of misery.

Chris.

87 all the time in mine. All of the stations near me have ethanol, so that's what I feed it. No issues for the last 3 years that I have owned it (other than some peashooters immediately after I bought it). Ran some 100ll avgas once cause it would cause the oil to separate out of it. Bought the avgas for a high compression 2 stroke, the leftover went into the max. Best smelling fuel and exhaust on the planet! No difference in performance with the 100ll.

My Mistress likes Shell or Mobile best, 87 octane here. I use some very hot additives, and often. My own concocstion. Stuff that willl grow hair on yer balls. I'm not the only one.....lol

Extra octane will produce less power in any engine that is tuned for low octane fuel. This has been proven over and over on dyno tests.

Higher octane is to make the fuel burn slower, to allow more time for complete fuel burn on engine with more advanced timing. Hard on the valves too on a lower tuned engine for the fuel is still burning as the ex valves open. Also less milage for the same reason.

Someone gets it. ......... I am amazed. Well alot of you guys do. But this was a good explanation. High octane is only good if you need it. You will make less power with high octane IF your bike will run lower octane without a problem.

Gen 1 bikes will run the fastest with low octane. Unless you have done internal work to raise cylinder pressure, than you don't need higher octane. Unless you get detonation your good with 87 octane. Burns cleaner and makes more power.

I ve run enough dynos to nn prove that theory right time and time again.

Todd

I have been removing the ethanol from 93 octane , mostly shell fuel , Canada is luck they gey V-power 94 ethanol free .
I have seen guys that do report good results using pump fuel with ethanol , fuel burns hotter .
Really can't get away from using it on a daily basis , stuff does eat hoses , seals and other plastic parts but the worst thing is the water absortion .
I started removing the etahnol and water from the fuel I feed my bikes and quads .
After the ethanol is removed it usually lost 2 to 3 octane points , I use a marine octane booster .

Last edited:
my max must be an odd ball, i get better mpg with 93. ive run 87, and i have to put it on reserve at 110 miles. i run 93 i use about 1 3/4 gallons to 2 gallons of fuel when i fill up at 110 miles. and to me it feels like it makes more power with 93, than 87. the vboost feels more snappy, it will rock your head backwards, and about dump you off it when it kicks in. all it has is a stage 1, slip ons, and a k&n without the Y on the airbox. you can say what you want, but i proved the mpgs time and time again. with 87 always around 110 miles on the trip, i have to flip to reserve, i ride with 93 i stop around 110, and it only takes 2 gallons tops. and i always reset the trip, it's a habit as thats my fuel gauge. and the extra 15 cents to use 93 is worth it to me. i'm not a penny pincher, and the vmax wasn`t built for the best mpgs, it was built to run. it's not a aircooled v-twin 400 that gets 60 plus mpgs. if thats what you want, a vmax isn`t for you, jmo.

Latest posts

Back