Whats Your Vmax like to Drink

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregoryuw

Reaction score
Just wondering the fuels you guys running . I have been running VP T4 100 octane for the best results .
Real world riding the machine prefer Shell 93 . Its pretty tough to find pump ethanol free fuel these days in my are unless I'm buying in a 5 gallon can .
Really sucks ethanol is really bad stuff .

I started using 93 octane but after reading information on the forum I switched to regular 87 octane. I started using seafoam to help with the ethanol. So far so good.

I started using 93 octane but after reading information on the forum I switched to regular 87 octane. I started using seafoam to help with the ethanol. So far so good.

+1. If you are using your Max daily, buying high-test is a waste of money. Ethanol will do no harm, unless the bike is layed up for extended periods of time. For peace of mind, many folks use Seafoam, as ga-max states.
Prior to putting my bike away for the winter, I run a tankful or two of high-test (all brands of h.t. in this province are ethanol-free) thru the bike, then fill the tank with h.t., together with some stabilizer. I've never had a problem starting it in the spring, and my only carb maintenance done in eleven years of ownership (other than synchronization) has been one "Shotgun" cleaning procedure.
cheers!

87. the cheap(er) stuff.
I hear it's best for the max, though, I also hear it's not. :ummm:

But I run it anyway.

:popcom00:

T$

Just wondering the fuels you guys running . I have been running VP T4 100 octane for the best results .
Real world riding the machine prefer Shell 93 . Its pretty tough to find pump ethanol free fuel these days in my are unless I'm buying in a 5 gallon can .
Really sucks ethanol is really bad stuff .

I bet you get really great mileage and maybe extra horse power out of that 100 octane stuff. How much $$ does it set you back for a gallon? Miles per gallon?

I buy it for the track bikes but at the end of the season the regular bikes , especially carbureted machines I put the left over in the bikes .
I was paying dealer cost on the VP and it was costing $50 for 5 gallons . I did experiment with washing 93 octane from the pump , removing the ethanol and added some octane boost , ran great in the quads and dirt bikes .

87 octane regular for me, 855lbs total weight and still good for 11.70 @ 116.........................Tom.

87 Octane for me with bit of Seafoam or Stabil ethanol treatment every few tanks.
It's Stock and dyno'd at 119 HP on 2 different dyno's, so I'm satisfied. :D

A stock 1st Gen Vmax will do happily on 87. Personally, I feel it is a waste to go any higher unless you need it (due to engine mods) or if you happen to find a premium pump that is ethenol free.

Small marina about 17 miles from my shop sells 90 octane non-Ethanol gas for about 20% higher than 87 ethanol. I don't fill my bikes every time with non-E, but keep a five gallon container at all times in my shop and on my truck. Nothing I own with a carborater gets ethanol in the gas tank , unless I'm multiple miles from shop / truck / marina . When I must buy that crappola , I try to find white gas , premium , and never fill up if the gas station is filling up too.

A stock 1st Gen Vmax will do happily on 87. Personally, I feel it is a waste to go any higher unless you need it (due to engine mods) or if you happen to find a premium pump that is ethenol free.

+1

No point in running higher than 87 octane on a stock Gen 1. I buy Chevron 87 which has up to 10% ethanol but I can drive several miles and get ethanol-free 90 octane but it's not worth the hassle unless I'm going that way.

It is really amazing that the Gen 1 bikes put out the HP they do and the factory recommends only 87!

Higher octane than 87 on a stock Gen 1 is a waste of money and provides zero increase in performance.

Well ... I throw money away every time I gas up Lola. I'm not buying performance, but I do believe I'm buying a superior additive package. I choose Chevron (Techron) or Shell (whatever they call it) whenever possible.

I haven't opened up Lola to see my valve train. But years ago I spent enough time looking at my BMW race motor valve trains to notice they are much tidier when fed with premium additive packages.

I use 87 and every few tanks will alternate between some startron mixed with a tiny dab of mmo, and seafoam. Paracelsus growls like a monster and runs like a pissed off sewing machine. I imagine that for the winter I'll run a few tanks of non ethanol through him then add seafoam, but until then the ethanol only bugs me a tiny bit, I do buy ethanol free when I can but here it's $0.50 more a gallon for 87 non ethanol, which is absurd.

Seafoam is more of a cleaner and Startron is an additive that is great for ethanol. For various reasons I have been unable to ride for over a year but keep both in the tank at slightly higher than recommended amounts. I have gone as long as 4 months without starting and it starts, idles and revs up without any problems. Startron for years was only available at Marinas and boating stores since boats often sit for as much as 8 months without being started. Someone tried it with other motors after ethanol was required and it worked so well, everyone is using it and it is even available at Wal-Mart. Great for mowers, bikes or any motor that isn't run for any length of time.

I run, like most everyone, 87 octane which luckily enough for me is ethanol free from my main stop. If I'm on a trip I don't worry about ethanol since I'm will burn right through it. I'll throw some Seafoam in on occasion in damp weather or it has been sitting for more than a few days, just because. I've never had an issue that Seafoam wouldn't cure, knock on wood!:punk:

I bet you get really great mileage and maybe extra horse power out of that 100 octane stuff. How much $$ does it set you back for a gallon? Miles per gallon?
Extra octane will produce less power in any engine that is tuned for low octane fuel. This has been proven over and over on dyno tests.

Higher octane is to make the fuel burn slower, to allow more time for complete fuel burn on engine with more advanced timing. Hard on the valves too on a lower tuned engine for the fuel is still burning as the ex valves open. Also less milage for the same reason.

Latest posts

Back