Anticipating dangerous situations...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm riding, along on the bypass, to go work this morning when at about 75 to 100 yards from an intersection, I see on the right, an old Dodge truck coming to that same intersection. Now mind you, I have the green light and he's approaching his side which is red. So in my mind, I'm anticipating that by the way this guy isn't slowing, he's gonna blow that light, so I flick my high beam on. Sure enough he does, but instead of going thorough, he turns right, just as I am crossing that intersection. I lay on the horns, do a quick flick around him with my horns still blaring. That didn't phase the idiot one bit and he just putts along as if nothing happened. By this time, I'm thinking, if only I had a pocket full of marbles, I'd have loved to have pelted him with them....anyway, end of rant.

Last edited:
Had an idiot attempt to do a left in front of me a week ago. Trust in my experience as a rider is what got me through safely. At times, it makes me wonder if a good .357 Magnum should be included in the safety gear. Take out the engine block in that POS cage, and it will be a while before he can cut off another driver lol

Where's a cop when you need one? Dipwad probably thought there was enough room for you to move over and go around. Good thing you had room to move around, or it sounds like this may have ended quite differently.

Idiot's are everywhere.Could write a book on the near misses and stupid drivers!Glad you missed him her whoever.That Jackass!

When the day comes that I don't survive multiple attempts on my life, I will know that terrorists have blown up all the cell towers in the area I rode through.

What tweaks me most is the "oops, my bad" cagers display after their attempts at negligent homicide. Why don't they ever pull over and break down completely after realizing they have nearly killed another human? Seriously a half smile and a fake wave simply reinforce my desire to have the state rescind all driving privileges and demand that we demonstrate competence, understanding, respect and attentive capacity before reissuing licenses. FWIW, the costs for this project should be laid in the laps of the multitudes that would fail a respectable examination of their skills/abilities.

I guess being a prior service Air Force member, I almost forgot about Situation Awareness (SA), which involves being aware of what is happening in the vicinity, in order to understand how information, events, and one's own actions will impact goals and objectives, both immediately and in the near future. One with an adept sense of situation awareness generally has a high degree of knowledge with respect to inputs and outputs of a system, i.e. an innate "feel" for situations, people, and events that play out due to variables the subject can control. Lacking or inadequate situation awareness has been identified as one of the primary factors in accidents attributed to human error.[1] Thus, situation awareness is especially important in work domains where the information flow can be quite high and poor decisions may lead to serious consequences (e.g., piloting an airplane[or in our case, riding motorcycles], functioning as a soldier, or treating critically ill or injured patients).

Frank, thanks for that, it has been about a week since i herd or said something about SA to one of my Airmen, haha. SA, keeping your head on a swivel or however you describe your constant vigilance in anticipating worst case incidents while riding has always been my main message when I was an MSF instructor. constantly scanning 10-15 seconds ahead of you for issues is something that must be taught and learned.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Good thing you are a defensive driver Frank.....never trust anyone to stop when they are supposed to and expect the worst ahead of time before it happens will keep you alive in this society of pathetically bad drivers. Stay safe.

In the United States, everyone has the inalienable right to be stupid. Most Cagers take full advantage of it. Especially those driving illegally or,,,,, here illegally.:bang head:

Latest posts

Back