Please help!! After DD won't go into N when running

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laylavmax

Reaction score
Just did the double D clutch upgrade. I left the half clutch in the back so I'd have some slipping not to break any parts. But it won't go into Nuetral when the bike is running. When the bike is off it goes into N without an issue. Had it apart to check 3 times now and I can't figure it out for the life of me. Please help!!!! The ring between the 2 stock springs and the pressure plate is still installed. Is that my issue? Help???? Thank you

Just did the double D clutch upgrade. I left the half clutch in the back so I'd have some slipping not to break any parts. But it won't go into Nuetral when the bike is running. When the bike is off it goes into N without an issue. Had it apart to check 3 times now and I can't figure it out for the life of me. Please help!!!! The ring between the 2 stock springs and the pressure plate is still installed. Is that my issue? Help???? Thank you

The "ring" should not be in between the two plates. The spring plates should be stacked directly on top of each other. There is a thin metal ring that goes between the pressure plate and the first spring. The outside diameter of the spring should fit in it. Then stack both springs on. Then install the retainer.

Check this site for some info. Its very helpful:
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

Make sure all the dots on your frictions line up with the dots on the basket

Make sure your pressure plate is indexed correctly or it won't work right.

That's how I have it. Pressure plate then that small ring with 1st spring on top with second spring directly on top of the first then the retainer. Was fine before I added second spring. I'm stumped

After the last steelie this is what is left. Half disc, metal ring and second metal ring I can't seem to remove

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
Those rings are the seat/cushion (#5 and 6 in the diagram below) for the 1/2 Friction disk and needs to stay in there.
Did you put the wire retainer (#4 in the diagram below) back in ???
The wire keeps that ring/seat in place inside the 1/2 friction disk.
Here is the parts diagram:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1991/V-MAX%201200%20-%20VMX12B/CLUTCH/parts.html

So Unless you replace the 1/2 friction with a full size friction ALL those need to stay in there where they belong.
Honestly there wasn't any reason to remove the 1/2 friction and it's associated parts since you were going to keep the 12 friction dosk anyways.

Lvlheads Guide (linked in a post above) will help:
"Removal of the clutch and friction plates is straightforward. Use a 90 degree pick or bent paper clip to help slide the plates forward for removal. After seven friction plates and six clutch plates are removed, there is a retaining wire that must be removed. A pair of needle nose works ok here. Don't mangle the wire if you are not doing the Double "D", or plan to return things to stock later.
One thing to note here is there is usually no wear on this last friction plate and clutch plate. Removal is only necessary to do the Double "D" or complete clutch replacement. "

Dman999. Are you speaking of the ring I have out or the one I can't remove? They look the same. I don't see a wire retainer. Previous owner must have removed. If you look at the second pic there are 2 rings that look similar. One on and one off the bike. I don't see anything else. Bike shifted fine yesterday before I added second spring

According to the diagram I have the seat plate and spring cushion and half disc. Do they all go back in? There was never that retaining spring in front of last steelie. I'm stumped

Yes there are 2 metal Rings at the back of the clutch pack.
You really need to look at the diagram I linked, It shows all the clutch parts and where they go.
The one you pulled out sits inside the 1/2 friction disk and keeps it from moving around.
The metal ring you didn't take out (but can be pulled out with a bent wire coat hanger or something similar) is what the 1/2 friction plate sits against.
And Yes they are Both necessary if you keep the 1/2 friction disk.
The metal wire goes into a grove and locks into 2 little holes in the clutch basket just in front of the 1/2 friction disk and keeps those parts where they are supposed to be.
If you set the 1/2 friction on the ground and put the metal ring (seat) inside it you will see that it makes the 1/2 friction the same size as a full fiction disk.

And Yes the wire retainer (#4 in the diagram) is needed if you keep the 1/2 friction plate and it's associated parts.

I went ahead and did the entire double D conversion and now it goes into N just fine. Only thing is now I hear a chatter coming from the clutch that gets quiet when I pull in the clutch lever. Maybe it's just me and Maybe it had a chatter before. Not too loud. I put a screwdriver to my ear to hear it better. Is this normal? Sorry for all the questions Im a nubie at clutches. Thank you all so much for your responses

Yes there is some clutch noise at idle.
It should be just barely noticeable.

Thanks so much dman999! Been a huge help! Now I just worry about shifting over 5k rpm. Don't want to break anything and worst of all go down

No Problem.
And yes be Extra careful until you get used to how hard the DD clutch grabs.

You only need to clutch second gear and no powershift second gear and you will be fine. The driveshaft will most likely break before anything else does and that is if you have a sticky tire in back like a shinko. Most of the other tires will just spin, another cushion against breaking parts. :)

Latest posts

Back