My first track day

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waylander

Reaction score
And no it wasn't a drag strip lol.

The Taupo tack here in NZ is a hopefull to be added to the MotoGP sooner or later so it's got a fair few corners and I took my Vmax out.

Got many compliments at how brave I was to be going out in the med fast group and actually keeping up. Managed to get my knee down for the first time ever and also hit 240kmh on the main straight.

Only had one sphincter tightening moment when I down shifted a bit quik comming up to a corner and my back tyre locked up, but somehow managed to stay upright and when the power came back on I rounded the corner in good Motard style drifting.

Hoping someone got pics of that but will have to wait till they post up on my other forum before I can add them here.

Map of the track is here: http://www.tauporacetrack.co.nz/circuit_map.cfm
We were doing track 4.

Man, that track looks like fun, I never took max to any track.
That sphincter moment could have been disastrous, good that you came out of it safely.
I would love to see some photos:)

Waylander said:

The Taupo tack here in NZ is a hopefull to be added to the MotoGP sooner or later so it's got a fair few corners and I took my Vmax out.

Got many compliments at how brave I was to be going out in the med fast group and actually keeping up. Managed to get my knee down for the first time ever and also hit 240kmh on the main straight.

Only had one sphincter tightening moment when I down shifted a bit quik comming up to a corner and my back tyre locked up, but somehow managed to stay upright and when the power came back on I rounded the corner in good Motard style drifting.

Hoping someone got pics of that but will have to wait till they post up on my other forum before I can add them here.

We were doing track 4.

Ibrahim,you should find a local drag strip and see what kind of times you can run.Maybye you'll get hooked.

That sounds awesome! I'd love to see picts too! I thought about taking the Max on a road course as well, but I figure the bike is just too damn heavy for it. I was eventually going to get a maybe an R6 or R1 for that. Until then, I'll probably just keep using my car for road courses.

Here are a couple of pics. Am downloading the file fomr the official photagrapher now and will load that aswell. The entire file so you guys can see some of the other riders out there awell.

The two guys I went down with are on a red 05 R1 and a green 06 ZXR636.

I have to resize all the non watermarked pics I have so will post those later
There are some 600 official pics so I'll just link you to the zip file and you guys can dig through them lol.

http://dl4.ohshare.com/v/3355427/24.11.06_sample_800x600.zip.html

Only four in the zip of me on the bike though.

Waylander said:

We were doing track 4.

Good on ya! I'm a firm believer the only place to really find the potential of a high powered motorcycle is on the track. I've had both my current bikes out on tracks and can't wait to to it again. You definitely have a set if you took a V-Max through it's paces. In the initial review of the V-Max handling at Laguna Seca they said it had all the handling precision of "a puppy on a leash."

Ton of power and a street comfortable chassis had to be a good time on a track!

OUTSTANDING!!! I did my first Track day in April, but unlike you I left the Vmax in the Pit area and used a kawasaki EX500 on the track. HAD A BLAST!!!! I was at Loudon New Hampshire and had two days, Wednesday and Friday so rode around on the max on Thursday.

Hats off to you, and I bet you are looking forward to getting out there again!

outlaws justice said:
Hats off to you, and I bet you are looking forward to getting out there again!
Ohfuck yea.I figure to use it as my testing ground. Do all the suspension and power upgrades one at a timewith atrack day inbetween them.Then a final one to adjust eveything exactly for best performance.

I'll consider the mods done when I can do this.

Attachments

• Vmaxsmall.JPG
    Vmaxsmall.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 16
Totally Kewl!
I went through all 633 pics. And now I have this to say. Besides my finger being soar...
If You want to see the VMAX, go to zip file #'s 299, 337, 369, 370. Those are the 4 Vmax photos I found.
I also noticed the difference in motocross guys putting thier foot out when going through a turn, and Moto GP guys putting thier knee out and learning off the bike into the turn. I also noticed a scooter dude, and double up riders, god I hope they were girls catching a thrill and not two gay guys. LOL!

Waylander said:
Ohfuck yea.I figure to use it as my testing ground. Do all the suspension and power upgrades one at a timewith atrack day inbetween them.Then a final one to adjust eveything exactly for best performance.

I'll consider the mods done when I can do this.

Man nice shot... Doesn't that hurt the knee with only jeans on?

82ndCowboy said:
Totally Kewl!
I went through all 633 pics. And now I have this to say. Besides my finger being soar...
If You want to see the VMAX, go to zip file #'s 299, 337, 369, 370. Those are the 4 Vmax photos I found.
I also noticed the difference in motocross guys putting thier foot out when going through a turn, and Moto GP guys putting thier knee out and learning off the bike into the turn. I also noticed a scooter dude, and double up riders, god I hope they were girls catching a thrill and not two gay guys. LOL!

Don't remember a cooter rider from that day but I wouldn't have noticed. Never pay attention to them anyway. The Motard guys are racers and are known for going into corners fully sideways with only the front tyre keeping consistant traction at the best of times. They can be quite scarry to ride next to when they do that.

Most of the two up were chicks but some were guys. Doesn't mean they are gay, that's just a generalisation. I've carried guys on pillion before just cause they wanted to know what it felt like to be on a fast bike instead of a 250 as they are restricted to only that when first riding here and takes a full year and a half before you can get your full liscence and ride what you want.

Also, that's not me in the above pic though I wish it was.

Last edited:
Track days and riding technique! I actually teach a class here in the states that teaches people proper cornering technique. The right way to hang off the bike and set of for corners. It is a parking lot class with a lot of practice in getting it right and by the end of class most of the students (No matter what they are riding) have small if any chicken strips and many people get a knee down for the first time as well. It is really exciting and most of the students cannot believe the difference it makes in thier riding. See this link

www.totalcontroltraining.net

I would LOVE to do a class for a bunch of the Vmax folks, as I have done one for the FZ1 group already. You can see a thread from that class over on the FZ1 board at this link.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58853

So if anyone wants to work on thier cornering skills before the next rally give me a shout! I am down to dragging knees and hard parts! and I love to teach this program over any others I have ever done! I am really looking forward to getting back to the track in the spring as well.

outlaws justice said:
Track days and riding technique! I actually teach a class here in the states that teaches people proper cornering technique. The right way to hang off the bike and set of for corners. It is a parking lot class with a lot of practice in getting it right and by the end of class most of the students (No matter what they are riding) have small if any chicken strips and many people get a knee down for the first time as well. It is really exciting and most of the students cannot believe the difference it makes in thier riding. See this link

www.totalcontroltraining.net

I would LOVE to do a class for a bunch of the Vmax folks, as I have done one for the FZ1 group already. You can see a thread from that class over on the FZ1 board at this link.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58853

So if anyone wants to work on thier cornering skills before the next rally give me a shout! I am down to dragging knees and hard parts! and I love to teach this program over any others I have ever done! I am really looking forward to getting back to the track in the spring as well.

Any chance you'll have a class in Florida?

Robert,If this is really your first bike,take your time and watch yourself.This bike can get you in trouble real fast.Too quick and heavy for it suspension and brakes.

82ndCowboy said:
Any chance you'll have a class in Florida?

Not at this time, but am looking at doing a couple classes near deals gap for the FZ1 group in early June. These might be weekday classes and then out to the dragon to practice what we have done!

shawn kloker said:
Robert,If this is really your first bike,take your time and watch yourself.This bike can get you in trouble real fast.Too quick and heavy for it suspension and brakes.

Trust me, I already know, The power and weight is more than I should be riding. I've heard all the lectures and all the horror stories. And I keep my riding within my abilities. I ride as though every vehicle on the road is out to get me and every curve is covered in grease.

Robert,I have seen other beginners go down with a vmax.My wife also started riding last summer.I got her riding dirt bikes at first then I restored her an 86 fzx 700 fazer.She took a rider safety course that also gave her her liscense when it was over.The fazer is a good starter bike because it basically has no torque down low and really comes on about 6k rpm on up.No unexspected wheelies or tire spin.

Back