What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie here. Mine died on me while going out and about on Wednesday. Putting a new regulator and battery in. Stator is good, at least for now.

Went for a great ride around sunset yesterday. My favorite weather, hot summer night cooling down. I just super appreciated my bike. Lighting up the road as well as a 10 wheeler, good stopping power, and the tune spot on. Hugging the road in the turns beyond the bike's reputation in the twisties. We've come a long way together from the day I bought her.

Went for a great ride around sunset yesterday. My favorite weather, hot summer night cooling down. I just super appreciated my bike. Lighting up the road as well as a 10 wheeler, good stopping power, and the tune spot on. Hugging the road in the turns beyond the bike's reputation in the twisties. We've come a long way together from the day I bought her.

Days like that are among my favorite "what did you do...today" threads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all, I've been lurking/checking post for time to time but feel like ages since I've actively posted.
Well, today started out washing, spray wax, adjusting my rear brake switch etc. Then noticed a little hard starting when I went to move her out of the sun to spray wax. TBH I noticed a little harder, but not concerning starting most of this week on short trip to and from work. Then yesterday, and Wed I noticed idle was a little "lopey"
Well, when I took off the seat to charge the battery to address the hard starting, I noticed a little corrosion on the Positive terminal. Then I noticed THIS
54f623d86fcaadb7fafb554296ace2f5.jpg
large but not very deep cracks on my left coil pack, when I disconnected the wires I noticed more corrosion inside the female part of the lead. Well, I cleaned up the battery terminal with a sore brush, and a one of those plastic dental picks in the coil ( I don't know if coil packs hold any kind of capacitance when disconnected, but I didn't wanna find out ) after I cleaned everything and battery sat on tender for about an hour I put everything back together. Not only did it fire right up without cranking, but it ran like a different bike! Way more crisp rev response from idle up to 3k. I got so used to the hesitation it was doing, I stopped noticing it.
My big question now is, is the crack superficial if everything seems to be running fine, or do I need to replace sooner than later?

First of all, I've been lurking/checking post for time to time but feel like ages since I've actively posted.
Well, today started out washing, spray wax, adjusting my rear brake switch etc. Then noticed a little hard starting when I went to move her out of the sun to spray wax. TBH I noticed a little harder, but not concerning starting most of this week on short trip to and from work. Then yesterday, and Wed I noticed idle was a little "lopey"
Well, when I took off the seat to charge the battery to address the hard starting, I noticed a little corrosion on the Positive terminal. Then I noticed THIS
54f623d86fcaadb7fafb554296ace2f5.jpg
large but not very deep cracks on my left coil pack, when I disconnected the wires I noticed more corrosion inside the female part of the lead. Well, I cleaned up the battery terminal with a sore brush, and a one of those plastic dental picks in the coil ( I don't know if coil packs hold any kind of capacitance when disconnected, but I didn't wanna find out ) after I cleaned everything and battery sat on tender for about an hour I put everything back together. Not only did it fire right up without cranking, but it ran like a different bike! Way more crisp rev response from idle up to 3k. I got so used to the hesitation it was doing, I stopped noticing it.
My big question now is, is the crack superficial if everything seems to be running fine, or do I need to replace sooner than later?

I've seen cracks in a lot of OEM coils that still worked well. The Bakelite seems to crack over time. A switch over to COPS is cheaper than buying coils, and more reliable and easier to maintain. It's been a few years now and the COPs never a bother. The only time they'll be a performance increase is if the OEM system was faulty.

I've seen cracks in a lot of OEM coils that still worked well. The Bakelite seems to crack over time. A switch over to COPS is cheaper than buying coils, and more reliable and easier to maintain. It's been a few years now and the COPs never a bother. The only time they'll be a performance increase is if the OEM system was faulty.

Yeah, the cracks look superficial and only in the Bakelite not into the guts itself. There was a noticeable performance difference from off idle up to 2.5-3K from cleaning the corrosion. Performing great for ow, but I am def gonna look into COPS down the road.

I finally got new led turn signals working.resistors didn't work had to down adjustable led relay route.

Replaced front and rear tires. Coolant flush and replace. Manual fan switch. Drive shaft splines greased and rear end gear oil changed. I have a few more things for tomorrow.

And so today I did more; I used the '6th dummy indicator' I installed a lens and have that for my manual fan switch on indicator. I installed 2 strips of 6 l.e.d.'s (tiny but bright) on the tail light reflector above the 2 bulbs. This is on a switch feeding through a strobe unit (about the size of a zippo lighter) for an emergency light that uses very little battery power, could be left on for hours without much drain. I came up with the need for this once while parked on a no shoulder curve on a mountain hwy while I was up ahead tending to a couple who had just crashed (didn't know them) but felt my bike visibility was not what it should be. I could put up pictures and video if someone were interested.

And so today I did more; I used the '6th dummy indicator' I installed a lens and have that for my manual fan switch on indicator. I installed 2 strips of 6 l.e.d.'s (tiny but bright) on the tail light reflector above the 2 bulbs. This is on a switch feeding through a strobe unit (about the size of a zippo lighter) for an emergency light that uses very little battery power, could be left on for hours without much drain. I came up with the need for this once while parked on a no shoulder curve on a mountain hwy while I was up ahead tending to a couple who had just crashed (didn't know them) but felt my bike visibility was not what it should be. I could put up pictures and video if someone were interested.

Pics, we all like pics. Do a write-up w/sources/links to where you got your supplies.

OK, so the strobe unit (I didn't take a picture) about the size of a zippo lighter I got from SuperbrightL.E.D. com. around $10. I got the switch from Amazon, even has a 'hazard' symbol on it. The L.E.D. strip came from a friend (work!) but Superbright has them in rolls. Both strips are about 2 1/2 inches and have 6 tiny but bright L.E.D's. They have sticky on the back but I also added some clear RTV. Really small current draw so I used small wire and drilled a small hole in the tail light reflector, under sub fender , under seat and strobe unit under seat with an inline fuse. Handlebar switch wires met up with the strobe unit under the seat. I have actually had this set up over a year but thought it was not bright in daylight. I 'found' another short strip of 6 LED's and put that under the original and paralleled wires to it. The strip has little copper solder tabs to solder onto. I dabbed clear RTV on this for security also. It is as bright as my taillight. I wouldn't leave the parking lights on for long at all pulling on my battery, but on the side of the road, this could be left on for hours.

Attachments

• strobe1.jpg
    strobe1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 36
  • strobe2.jpg
    strobe2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 34
Well with multiple attempts the strobe video will not go. I don't know why. But it's a strobe, so pretty much can imagine what it looks like! sorry

The mod monkey bit hard and would not let go. I would never been able to accomplish any of this without Steve O. This forum has been awesome for me for so many reasons, none the least of which has been meeting and becoming friends with Steve. In the last 4 years we've become riding buddies and brothers. I'm grateful and fortunate. So on to the mods. Full exhaust from Marks SS 12" cans 2.5 openings loud, aggressive, bad to the bone. Gixxer rims from Larry Fitzgerald at LCR Performance in Rochester NY you can read my review below but the short version is awesome. From Sean new superbike bars, turn indicators, bar end mirrors and grips, 2" lowering in front and 12" progressives in the back, Muscle jet kit, plus a bunch of other stuff. I can't add anything else about Sean that hasn't already been said 1000 times. Great guy, wealth of knowledge and willing to share, honest and trusting.....I could go on and on. Steve installed everything including front and clutch master rebuilds, tuning the carbs and many other maintenance needs.

Attachments

• 203494B3-D7D7-4756-B21C-C77C062E3D15.jpg
    203494B3-D7D7-4756-B21C-C77C062E3D15.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 396CF564-6D02-4CDF-937E-C10D60741D2F.jpg
    396CF564-6D02-4CDF-937E-C10D60741D2F.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 68F57D34-80A3-4BD8-9113-1E892C2BD9CE.jpg
    68F57D34-80A3-4BD8-9113-1E892C2BD9CE.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 65
  • A0032089-BA12-4906-95D5-5E63C6F77370.jpg
    A0032089-BA12-4906-95D5-5E63C6F77370.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 162B7936-D0F6-4A82-A34B-BA3A027D657F.jpg
    162B7936-D0F6-4A82-A34B-BA3A027D657F.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 62
The mod monkey bit hard and would not let go. I would never been able to accomplish any of this without Steve O. This forum has been awesome for me for so many reasons, none the least of which has been meeting and becoming friends with Steve. In the last 4 years we've become riding buddies and brothers. I'm grateful and fortunate. So on to the mods. Full exhaust from Marks SS 12" cans 2.5 openings loud, aggressive, bad to the bone. Gixxer rims from Larry Fitzgerald at LCR Performance in Rochester NY you can read my review below but the short version is awesome. From Sean new superbike bars, turn indicators, bar end mirrors and grips, 2" lowering in front and 12" progressives in the back, Muscle jet kit, plus a bunch of other stuff. I can't add anything else about Sean that hasn't already been said 1000 times. Great guy, wealth of knowledge and willing to share, honest and trusting.....I could go on and on. Steve installed everything including front and clutch master rebuilds, tuning the carbs and many other maintenance needs.

Kind words appreciated Brother. But the credit goes to Sean for developing the the carb kit for the Vmax. A perfect addition to Mark's exhaust system. Larry did a great job on the wheels. They look fantastic and are truer than most OEM wheels I've checked. We have been on some adventurist rides for sure. Like the time we were doing around 80 and the road suddenly turned to gravel...lol All good and a blast. I'm glad we hooked up too.

Rebuilt my water pump on my 90, getting the old gasket off took longer than anything else.... also noticed my horns did not work.. Guess the rain from this summer did them in, so I took another part of my 95 so I can get it inspected later this month. Had to call Skip to ask him which way the oil seal went, after calling him I noticed the old one.. and how it was worn thru.... also kind of glad I had an extra gasket since it botched the first one up... Can't believe it was about 95 degrees outside while I was working on it...

Attachments

• IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 21
Got my parts back from jet coat and found a guy to polish the front wheel. Pricey but mirror finish guarantee! So far this winter new rear rim, radials, new exhaust, carbs done, new front and rear suspension, chrome scoops, clutch and braided line and valve cover gaskets busy winter so far. Brakes still to come

Attachments

• C6BB3D80-B2EF-46F3-BB9E-6FB886CC00D5.jpeg
    C6BB3D80-B2EF-46F3-BB9E-6FB886CC00D5.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 17
  • F30807B9-04A8-456A-ADD6-1B0314E8F1FC.jpeg
    F30807B9-04A8-456A-ADD6-1B0314E8F1FC.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17
New sharknados (shinkos), oil pressure and delkevic crash bars, just waiting on Givi windscreen,
And a partridge in a pear tree.

Attachments

• F8F66C8B-F1CE-4442-867C-773F5EA9606D.jpeg
    F8F66C8B-F1CE-4442-867C-773F5EA9606D.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 24
  • D376094C-BB6B-490C-AA76-7A5CB0F7865E.jpeg
    D376094C-BB6B-490C-AA76-7A5CB0F7865E.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 26
  • BD82E2ED-B452-4FF2-89A5-49892C8799F3.jpeg
    BD82E2ED-B452-4FF2-89A5-49892C8799F3.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts