Stock Muffler removal / Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! And to remover the old, can I use a pair of vice grips or is it better to double nut and back out?

Either way would work.. Or apply a little heat to the header bolt area..
BUT,, if the bolts are OK, just clean them up, and reuse. I used my Dremel tool with the wire brush to clean off any surface dirt.. When I put them back in, they looked brand new.

Only reason I decided to re-use them is this.
1) They are discontinued.
2) I didn't trust the quality of the crap they sell nowadays. Since they discontinued that bolt, I'd have to use a newer substitute.
No thanks.. I'd rather use something that was designed for the bike from the manufacturer.
From 1985 to 2017 and still going strong - they did something right....

One of the studs is slightly bent and am worried I will snap it off. They do sell a slightly longer bolt, 95917-08640-00. So just need to fit a nut over it.

What is with the special nut that is rounded? How do you tighten? Will just use a normal 8mm nut.

Those NUTS are round on the outside, but they have a Hex center. So you'll use an Allen wrench to tighten.

One of my studs got a bent also. Way more than slightly that is..

I had Dremel cut that thick aluminum header clamp, then, chisel it off in pieces, to get it freed from the bolts.
Doing this is what bent my bolt.

Since I didn't want to take the chance of over bending the bolt or snapping it off, I used the other hole in the clamp. Positioned it over the bolt, then, with a pry bar wedged between the frame, I gently bent the clamp back into position over the exhaust port (which bent the bolt also). This way, I would not over bend it, and I would know when it was 90' in position.
Once that was done, and everything was cleaned up, I was ready to put the new headers and clamp in place.
It only needed a little push, and it slid into postilion, over the bolts.

NOTE: During all this work, I plugged the manifold openings with round Styrofoam cut-outs, to keep anything from falling into the engine. I could have used old T-Shirts but I had the foam on hand.:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back