Mark’s exhaust..FINALLY!! and questions..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll just agree to disagree on this.

I've run Mark's 4-2 with 2.5 outlets, hindle 4-1, and ufo 4-1. They all sound good but I like marks the best out of those.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Point well taken, I have never heard a 4-2 setup other than on youtube and they sounded louder and more automotive. Not a bad thing but I was liking the one pipe sound. At some point I'll end up hitting a Vmax gathering and see/hear some other rides.

I'm all good to agree to disagree but I dont even want to disagree until I hear a Marks system. I've heard nothing but good things about his work.

I like the Kerker 4 into 1 sound and would have them if I didn't like the balanced look so well. :confused2:
I do love the sound of my Marks 4 into 2 w/ 12" cans that have 2.25" openings. I do have a set of cans I've yet to put on; 12" long with 2 3/4" openings that Mark whipped up for me. They have the gen 2 style exhaust tips that Mark makes that will match up with some of my others accent parts.

Last edited:
Another package today (no pipes yet). In the meantime, I took photo of my nuts..
:biglaugh:

May get to 10 pages before I get my exhaust delivered.. (and installed)..
;)

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
    nuts.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 33
My favorite idle sound is from a Kerker 4/1, but I currently have a UFO 4/1 & Frankencanister. I've had 4/1's from Kerker, Mark's, and UFO.

My favorite idle sound is from a Kerker 4/1, but I currently have a UFO 4/1 & Frankencanister. I've had 4/1's from Kerker, Mark's, and UFO.

Fm, dix u have a kerker can at some point?

My 1st experience hearing a max was a kerker with 2.5 comp baffle..
Gave me absolute goosebumps.
That day..1997 ish..i knew i had to have it.
Since then ive learned of marks..a deeper rumble (my fav part) so had to have IT.

I thi k my memories of the 41 kerk is what helped my decision on the Mark's 4-1 with 2.5 opening.

The wait iz killing me.

I WILL get a professional recording of it ehit finally happens tbo.

T $

Quick update (email from Mark):

"Hi Terry

I should have your exhaust ready to go today so it will ship on Weds.

Thanks for your patience*

Mark"
:eusa_dance: :clapping:

T $

I really like the 4-1, Mark's and Kerker, but retaining my center stand for working is important to me. The 4-2 looks good and sounds good, and performance increase is very noticeable. I rode mine with no carb mods at first and my bike had noticeable torque increase. Like some air under the front tire using throttle only. Mark M. was a former employee of Kerker. His designs rock.

I've had the stock Kerker 4/1 on a VMax, and Kerker 4/1's on a couple Kawasaki inline 4's, KZ750 & KZ1000. Also had a V & H KZ1000 4/1 bike.

I have a Kerker 4/1 in stainless steel for my FZR1000 that I've never installed, sitting, just waiting & a pair of aftermarket carbs for it. But, I really don't have the time to mess with it now, so it sits.

The Kerker 4/1 sounds just great at idle, it always manages to make people turn their heads to see what that bad sound is? It sounds like I'm back in about 1967 at the dragstrip and listening to some alcohol-burning small block Chevy in a Chevy II 2 door body, with a full roll cage, straight front axle and wrinklewalls getting ready to stage.

Those were some times, if you didn't go to college, within 3 months of finishing 12th grade, the POTUS sent you a letter, "Greetings from the President of the United States..." and that usually included a free trip to SE Asia, after boot camp.

Update:
With marjs on the way, started dis assembling the cobras. Wasnt as bad as it coulda been. Most bolts freed up (important ones anyway) bolts on the 'slip ons' dint fair as well.

Found a cool tool to help with the stubby 8mm cutoff (thanks forum). I went to purchase a 8mm ratcheting wrench, all they had was the set for 20$.

Wanderin around har freight, i found this..a 5/16 ratcheting battery wrench. (Who knew..2.99) :)

Anyway, removin gaskets..how do yall clean/treat the yucky surface before puttin new gaskets in?
(Old ones werent too bad actually, but I only wanna do this as many timeas as i have to.

More pics:

T $

Attachments

• 20170713_203045.jpg
    20170713_203045.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170713_201222.jpg
    20170713_201222.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170713_191939.jpg
    20170713_191939.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20170712_193349.jpg
    20170712_193349.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20170713_203131.jpg
    20170713_203131.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 38
Package delivered!!

A box showed up at work today!
:)

Feel like a kid on the best chrismas morning.. ever...

https://youtu.be/lHpHxLZReiI

(Quick movie reference for fun- and i cant be home right now) :(

T $

Attachments

• 20170714_110808.jpg
    20170714_110808.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 18
Just to keep updating..and i will continue.. ;)

Opened box.
There she is , in all her glory (well..as expected).
4 into 1 stainless- 14" can and 2.5" turndown tip. :punk:
Very nicely packed (in plastic as seen, but also crammed full of packing peanuts (not shown).

I will post more pics once i get it home to the garage and layed out on the floor before install. (As reccomended by redbone and others.) Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, the instal may have to wait til monday.. :bang head: ... as my wife has a busy weekend planned for new car shopping. :confused2:

Updates and more photos to follow. ;)
(And sound clips, including the now removed cobras)

T $

Attachments

• 20170714_134330.jpg
    20170714_134330.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170714_134314.jpg
    20170714_134314.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170714_134258.jpg
    20170714_134258.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170714_134157.jpg
    20170714_134157.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170714_134137.jpg
    20170714_134137.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 34
Of course I couldn't wait to play with them..on my office floor insteada working.. ;)

I've heard/read that exhaust sealant is not necessary?.. can anyone confirm or deny this? Definitely slides in easily, yet seems tight.. (that's what she...nevermind)

I feel a touch of the flu coming on ..Monday..

:eusa_dance: :clapping: :punk:

T$

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 36
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 31
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 30
You can put a light smear of ultra copper rtv on the joints. It won't hurt anything. I didn't on mine and never had leaks but every set may be different.

I know I had to use it on UFO and Hindle exhaust

You can put a light smear of ultra copper rtv on the joints. It won't hurt anything. I didn't on mine and never had leaks but every set may be different.

I know I had to use it on UFO and Hindle exhaust

Sweet ,thanks. I pocked up some copper seal.
I thought i read that Morley reccomended just pure silicone?.. (no color to deal with) which i also have.

Should i clean the exhaust port/gasket area any specific way?
Im assuming just to smooth it out and get rid of the crusty crap b4 puttun new gaskets in.. ?..

Thanks, can NOT wait to get this shizzle all hooked up.

And btw, where the heck is erybody that used to be round the forum? Seems that its dwindled down to only like 10 people that are around anymore. :( (10 awesome people at least). Not counting me. ;)

Thanks all.

T $

Sweet ,thanks. I pocked up some copper seal.
I thought i read that Morley reccomended just pure silicone?.. (no color to deal with) which i also have.

Should i clean the exhaust port/gasket area any specific way?
Im assuming just to smooth it out and get rid of the crusty crap b4 puttun new gaskets in.. ?..

I'm sure silicone works but if you already have something make for the specific application, I'd use that (ultra copper)

Before cleaning the gasket surface I'd stuff something in the port to keep particles out. Wet the area down with a cleaner of your choice to help break it up. You could be meticulous and soak a rag and use the rage to wet the area or just spray some shit on there. I have a little dental tool used for mixing filling I like to use for stuff like this. It's got eased edges so it doesn't dig in. Once the majority us removed a small piece of scotch Brite can be used to do a final clean.

Remember to assemble the entire exhaust somewhat loose and then go back and torque everything. You don't want to crank down the flange bolts till all parts are in place and adjusted. Marks pipes go together quite easily. You shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks sooo much for the help.
Cant wait too get underway.
Car shopping today.. baptism and party tomorrow..wedding on monday at 5. (Who gets married on a monday..at 5? :ummm: )
Hopefully i cn finish removin cleanin and installin b4 i have to get ready for this bumbkin day ho-down of a wedding monday. :damn angry:

Thanks so much.
Hopefully post progress monday.

T $

Aaannnd...DONE!!

Just finished install. (Found some time between baptism, freinds /relatives comin over..gettin ready for a grillin feast. ONLY thing left to do is clean the pipes of prints/any debris that may have hit the pipes durin install.

Pics to follow later tonight...test run tomorrow. (I may not even have to take tomorrow off of work now. :) )

Thank you alll specifically those who helped directly (including the entire exhaust thread simce day 1 of this forum)..yes, i read it all. ..thanks for this forum.

See ya soon ..

T $

Latest posts

Back