Where are all the 4-into-4's?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morprime

Reaction score
Hi,

So i've been looking into upgrading my exhaust from stock over the last few weeks and I keep noticing images from Japan of some wicked high sweeping 4-into-4 exhausts systems but thats it, just photos nothing else.

The only ones ever available seem to be Cobras which I do like the look of but infamous power drain puts me off.

I'd appreciate it if you could post some suggestions below and help me on my hunt.

Cheers!

Attachments

• yamaha-v-max1200-stainless-fokker_big103401-01_7db6.jpg
    yamaha-v-max1200-stainless-fokker_big103401-01_7db6.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 57
Have a listen. I paid $9 for the hole saw, and cut the baffle plates out of my cobras. For all intents and purposes I would assume it to at least perform as well as stock while looking totally kick ass. You can pick up cobras cheap since nobody wants them or doesn't want to take a couple mind to gut em. The results are awesome.

https://youtu.be/fHPT3e7yCbY

Attachments

• 20170712_140926_HDR.jpg
    20170712_140926_HDR.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_2017-07-12-15-32-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-12-15-32-59.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 46
They need the scavenging effect, so cutting out the baffles of Cobras will do nothing for you. It will have less backpressure so will lose hp except maybe at the top end. Pretty much like straight pipes. Will be loud.

All of the 4-4's are going to under-perform the stock system. I don't care how much gutting out you do. Louder doesn't guarantee you will make power.

All of the 4-4's are going to under-perform the stock system. I don't care how much gutting out you do. Louder doesn't guarantee you will make power.

Figured it was more or a free flowing thing, rather than a plugged up pipe. I agree with the balance and scavenging effects. Obviously I can't say either way that I gained anything but sound, but being butget/looks minded it doesn't hurt to run what I got for now, and I can't imagine I'm losing a ton of power from the wide open 4-4. I assume it's Like running the the stock headers with no pipes at all at the moment. Like everyone else I would love a full setup but I can't justify the cost at the moment. But, I'm not gonna argue with the resident Vmax expert because I know you know more than I do. Lol

"Make noise if you can't make power," the H-D meme. Throw some 2-into-2 system onto your new $25,000-$40,000 Big Twin, piss-off all your neighbors, and enjoy the rebel affection of all the other Harley guys.

If your Cobras look and sound good to you, in their gutted state, enjoy 'em, and have some consideration when you leave your house at 6:15 a.m. or are in traffic next to a van-driving mother with two kids in car seats. Remember that exposure to 100 db+ sound pressure levels will cost you your aural acuity over time, and just one exposure to a loud-enough noise can cost you some hearing. Just the sound level infiltration from a poorly-fitting helmet can cost you some hearing.

Attachments

• 19731903_1461255137230735_3674374686168871786_n.jpg
    19731903_1461255137230735_3674374686168871786_n.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 19732008_1154521347986919_3934712701181064044_n.jpg
    19732008_1154521347986919_3934712701181064044_n.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 21
It's not that loud, To me anyways. But other people might not like it. Just like anything anyone else does other may or may not agree with. Whenever anyone feels like donating a full header/exhaust setup that's gonna make more power and sounds better please feel free to send one my way. But until then I'm rolling with what I got! Haha and that's the funny thing about them Harleys... Somehow they sell.. Even with stock pipes. I guess a loud vmax is getting stigmatized too, or is it simply because my lack of gained horsepower for the sound level? Lol

And no, I hate getting blasted by loud pipes, and I hated hearing my next door neighbor at 5am with his road king hauling ass by my house waking up my infant and toddler. I ride sensibly. I just like to hear the bike.

And no, I hate getting blasted by loud pipes, and I hated hearing my next door neighbor at 5am with his road king hauling ass by my house waking up my infant and toddler. I ride sensibly. I just like to hear the bike.

I don't think anyone is trying to give a hard time.

They are just letting you know the cobra's are going to under perform compared to a stock system, let alone full system. Cobras are a pretty popular slip on. It seems many new members don't know that they hurt performance. I guess you could say this forum has a bias against them. :biglaugh:

Nothing wrong with a loud vmax either. You'll find plenty of those at any vmax rally.

No matter what exhaust is installed, I'm sure everyone enjoys riding their bike! I've had multiple and enjoyed them al except stock. Too quiet.

We are all on the same team here, I didn't think that were pickin on me. Lol just had to state my case. If I could find a stock muffler for my 85 (even off a newer max) I would jump on it.

Killjoy I think Cobra's look great mate and if you like them that's your call it's your bike.

Looks like I'll have to stick with stock for the time being as I'm not up for handicapping the bike.

Latest posts

Back