Gen 2 pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX_Dave

Reaction score
Good evening Folks,
just a general question, on My 2009 Gen 2, I notice when I first turn the key on that the fuel pump starts up and continuously runs. No problem there only on every other modern big bike like say the Hayabus and FZ1 I would turn the key on, the fuel system would pressurize then then once the fuel system had pressurised the pump would turn off if the engine was not started.
This is not the case with My Gen 2, the fuel pump continuously runs whether the motor is started or not. And before You ask, when I turn the ignition off everything shuts down including the fuel pump.

So then My question is, should the fuel pump be continuously running if the ignition is on and the engine not engaged?

Thanking You in advance

VD

The Gen-2 is a fuel-injected system and requires a high operating PSI along with a fuel recirculating circuit.

Good day Damon, I appreciate the feed back, so then in answer to My earlier question, it is normal for the fuel pump to run continuously when the ignition is switched on and the engine is not in operation?

I thought the pump had a delay timer on it that if it didn't sense a tach signal it would shut off after say 5 seconds? I am not around my gen 2 to verify. I know you can override and turn the pump on with the diagnostics screen which is what I do to empty the tank after my dragstrip day and i wouldn't have to do that if it just stayed on by itself normally.

Good afternoon One2dmax, I guess what I am trying to establish is the normality of a continuous running fuel pump when the ignition is switched to on in the absence of the engine being engaged.

So from what You are saying is that the fuel pump on the gen 2 does in fact shut of if the ignition is switched on without the engine fired up, also that there is provision built into the fuel management system that allows for the control and duration of fuel pump operation when the engine is not engaged.

so in other words, some previous owner has programmed the fuel pump to continually (with the ignition turned to on) pressurise and continually run without the engine having being engaged.

I just wanted to ensure that there was not a short somewhere in the wiring diagram, I mean this has not hurt the performance or anything like that

Thank You VMAX_Dave

The pump should run a short duration when first turned on though I don't remember what that time line is. It should not continue to run without sensing the engine running (in event of a crash or tip over). On the gen 1's it's 5 seconds and i'd suspect the gen 2 is going to be similar.

The diagnostic option I don't think can be set to on all the time. When you turn the key off it goes back to "normal".

Latest posts

Back