How do I increase my fuel mileage?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
I've got an 85 with a ton of mods from previous owners. I'm still trying to sort out what all has been done to the bike internally and probably never will. Heres what I do know

Stage 7 kit
drilled/modded stock exhaust
fan only works with toggle switch

Apparently it only gets 140kms or so on a tank of fuel. I'd like to get this closer to at least 180kms maybe more.

What steps can I take to get closer to my goal without neutering my max?

A stage 7 kit with stock exhaust will not promote good fuel milage and hurt performance, I would start there.....................Tom.

Marks 4-2 Exhaust, Proper Carb Set Up for the pipes. Next, Dyna 3000 ignition set up for a modest setting. My 94 runs 132 miles (212.43km ) before reserve, in town / highway combined. I don't have stage 7 but don't see where that would kill the mileage a great deal unless your really running hard.

what is that in mpg :ummm: I don't speak metric :eusa_dance:
I would either get a full exhaust system to go with the stage seven to let it breath and run better or go back to stock carb jetting and air box to go with that factory exhaust. I have a morleys muscle kit, which is similiar to a stage 7 with a different air box, and marks 4-1 exhaust. I get around 36 mpg with normal driving, with a little Vboosting. Thats common MPG for a set up similiar to that. I don't know what that is in kms though. Also hows it running. Maybe check the plugs and see if its running rich at all as it is.

Ok the P.O. said that he had gotten the stocker exhaust set up for the stage 7 but I'm doubting that as well... seems like he just drilled a lot of holes in the baffle..

Any suggestions on best bang for the buck for a full exhaust. I've got too many projects on the go to drop half of what the bike is worth on a system.

A stage 7 kit with stock exhaust will not promote good fuel milage and hurt performance, I would start there.....................Tom.

+1. put the carbs, air box back to stock. 150 mains will help out. 40 mpg and up is common on a good running Vmax even with some mods. It depends a lot on how you ride. Does your bike have the v-boost unit? I'm wondering if the P.O. switched pipes before selling. Don't underestimate how good a well tuned stock Vmax can run.
Steve-o

As far as i can tell no vboost on the bike. found the controller box but there is nothing to plug it into. I do not have any of the stock parts.

Ok the P.O. said that he had gotten the stocker exhaust set up for the stage 7 but I'm doubting that as well... seems like he just drilled a lot of holes in the baffle..

Any suggestions on best bang for the buck for a full exhaust. I've got too many projects on the go to drop half of what the bike is worth on a system.

I would contact Sean at Morley's Muscle. He is making up hybrid exhaust systems using the Marks head pipes and different cans. He does a great deal of testing and dyno work, I'd bet he could give you insight to the best combination.

If you really want lots better mileage, I dump the stage 7 mods and get a venture rear end A very expensive mod that would also help a great deal would be to install Sean's trans with the very high top gear. (If you ever have a problem with the trans- replace with his his for sure)

Of course the biggest gas saver is to limit the amount of twist in your right wrist... but what fun would that be???

Best mileage we ever got was on a 2005 I owned (and sold to my welder). He got 49mpg on one run between here and Eureka Springs. We were doing in the 90-100mph range for that tank of fuel. The bike had a full header and our jet kit plus our overdrive trans. I got 44mpg on that same bike a few years prior with me and the wife with all our gear going to Eureka Springs.

Typically, mid to high 30's with our kit is good. Some get 40's.

What I'd do if you are on a budget crunch. Get rid of the stage seven, find a stock airbox, needles, and other misc parts like the Vboost and swap it back. Don't worry about the mufflers and run a smaller main jet (say a 147.5 or 150). This should get you back to "normal". We'd give you some trade credit for those parts but I also bet you'd find guys on here that would also trade most of that stuff too and maybe be a better deal.

My "to do" list is getting huge and I've only taken this bike for about a 5 min ride so far.. Full exhaust, all new brakes, powdercoat and paint, fix the temp sensor that turns the fan on and a bunch of little stuff to fix all the jimmy riggin that has been done on the bike over the years.

What I'd do if you are on a budget crunch. Get rid of the stage seven, find a stock airbox, needles, and other misc parts like the Vboost and swap it back. Don't worry about the mufflers and run a smaller main jet (say a 147.5 or 150). This should get you back to "normal". We'd give you some trade credit for those parts but I also bet you'd find guys on here that would also trade most of that stuff too and maybe be a better deal.
That's what I'd do.

That's what I'd do.

Ya but I really don't want to take any power away from the bike.. If anything I want to add more.. just trying to find the right combo and all roads seem to lead to having to save up for a good full exhaust at this point... I'm not experienced at all in messing with carbs in any way so I'll have to pay someone to do all that work and that seems like a lot more work and money to put back to stock than just re tuning for the new exhaust.

I bet by going back to stock carb setup you wil actually GAIN power. Unless you are prepared for the full header.

More power = More gas. Your heading said you wanted to use less gas. The stage 7 is designed to give you more gas into the engine. Plus I would bet you are running way rich at some points in your rpm range. Too rich makes the bike SLOWER. Except in high performance apps, the bike will run better with a stock air box. For best performance and gas milage you need the RIGHT amount of gas, not the most gas. Outside of getting the mixture right, the next way to increase gas mileage is to lower the RPM you are driving at. Simple on a chain drive bike, no so on the V-Max. The Venture diff is the easy way, Sean's overdrive trans is the best way (because you still have the performance gearing for 1 thru 4, then drop the rpm for cursing in top gear)

My guess is that all this talk about milage is worthless because you are going to try to get more power and forget about how much gas you use.

My "to do" list is getting huge and I've only taken this bike for about a 5 min ride so far.. Full exhaust, all new brakes, powdercoat and paint, fix the temp sensor that turns the fan on and a bunch of little stuff to fix all the jimmy riggin that has been done on the bike over the years.

Are you SURE the OEM sending unit has been disabled? From the factory, the fans don't normally operate until the temp guage needle is very nearly in the red zone. Most peeps put that manual switch in the circuit to turn it on earlier than OEM, and leave the sending unit operational.

There is a swap out option for the OEM sending unit, in order to get the fan to come on about mid way on the temp guage. The thread with aftermarket sending unit #'s is here on the forum someplace.

The sending unit is located under the right side scoop.

Latest posts

Back