96 Slipping Clutlch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall some of the aftermarket levers didn't have holes drilled for a return-spring.

I recall some of the aftermarket levers didn't have holes drilled for a return-spring.

These are the ones that I have, and several others on here have them as well. They do NOT have a hole drilled for the return spring, but in over a year, and a trip to Topeka KS, Eureka Springs AR, and Dallas TX, never been an issue.

They are not the cheapest...but not the most expensive either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251006820844?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Do you know where the levers came from, so maybe that way people will stay away from them?

Levers were on it when I bought it. Maybe someone can ID the levers from the picture.

I ground off about 1/16-inch from the face indicated and got about 3/16-inch of freeplay at the end of the lever. Seems To have solved my clutch-slipping problem.

I believe the aftermarket lever was keeping the master cylinder pressed in slightly thus causing the piston to keep the return port covered. Then, the engine heat would cause pressure to build up in the system, partially disengaging the clutch.

100_5702.JPG

Last edited:
:eusa_dance:
Levers were on it when I bought it. Maybe someone can ID the levers from the picture.

I ground off about 1/16-inch from the face indicated and got about 3/16-inch of freeplay at the end of the lever. Seems To have solved my clutch-slipping problem.

I believe the aftermarket lever was keeping the master cylinder pressed in slightly thus causing the piston to keep the return port covered. Then, the engine heat would cause pressure to build up in the system, partially disengaging the clutch.

View attachment 45959

I now have about 300 miles since modifying the aftermarket clutch lever and the clutch is great and has not slipped once.

These are the ones that I have, and several others on here have them as well. They do NOT have a hole drilled for the return spring, but in over a year, and a trip to Topeka KS, Eureka Springs AR, and Dallas TX, never been an issue.

They are not the cheapest...but not the most expensive either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251006820844?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Unfortunately for me, those eBay levers are for 2000 to 2008 VMaxes and mine is a '97. I would like to find longer adjustable levers but the sellers on eBay have very different views of which years use the same levers. Some say 1985 thru 2007 are the same while others say 2000 thru 2008 are the same. I'm confused.

Last edited:
Well first of all...there is no such thing as a 2008 Vmax. When I found those levers I believe that the seller had them marked for 2000 thru 2008....I took a chance..and bought them anyways. It's my understanding that all levers from 85 thru 07 are the same...so I chalked it up to the seller unfortunately having bad information. That's why I trust this forum so much...there is more knowledge here..than at dealerships.

I had a similar issue to this when I fitted aftermarket adjustable levers. The clutch lever was pre-drilled for the actuator pin but not quite deep enough to allow the clutch to fully engage (no slack at the lever). I simply drilled the recess about 1/32" deeper and cured the problem instantly.
Shame the OG poster didn't mention the aftermarket levers sooner in the post, it might have lead to a faster solution.

Chris.

Back