Lane splitting....in VA??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! We can lane split here in Western Australia, and it's great. Basically, because it is legal to ride two abreast, the law doesn't state any difference from a car or bike. If two can fit in a single lane then it's not illegal. If the cops wake up on the wrong side of the bed, they can technically get you for not indicating if you cross the dividing line or if you put your foot down in the other lane when at the lights. Also if your front wheel crosses the heavy line at the stop light like many do to get as far in front of the cars at the red light as they can, it's considered running a red light, same as cars though. If you aren't completely careless, none of these seem to get you stopped, I've been doing it for 19 years now.

Matt

Good luck! We can lane split here in Western Australia, and it's great. Basically, because it is legal to ride two abreast, the law doesn't state any difference from a car or bike. If two can fit in a single lane then it's not illegal. If the cops wake up on the wrong side of the bed, they can technically get you for not indicating if you cross the dividing line or if you put your foot down in the other lane when at the lights. Also if your front wheel crosses the heavy line at the stop light like many do to get as far in front of the cars at the red light as they can, it's considered running a red light, same as cars though. If you aren't completely careless, none of these seem to get you stopped, I've been doing it for 19 years now.

Matt

Lane splitting is perfectly legal in California. I miss it especially when traffic gets from bad to worse here in Kentucky...

I'm all for it but I'm thinking could cause a few road rage incidents . Traffic can really suck around here at rush hour.

Cagers who don't ride would feel that way!!! When I lived in Cali, I'd split lanes when traffic situations started to get bad; on those days when I drove my car, I'd make sure to give bikers extra room, just to be courteous!!!

Back in the seventies/eighties in England it was very common for cars/trucks etc to "part the waves" for bikers when traffic was heavy but that was a generation of drivers who grew up knowing that it was rare for a bike to get in front and then impede traffic flow. Sadly, It's very different in this generation. It seems every cage riding freak takes it as a personal affront when a bike can make progress in traffic whilst they are jammed nose to tail with nothing better to do than follow Aunt Jemima's Birthday celebration on facebook or twitter some dopey prick they've never met before and discuss the average inside leg measurement of a Yoruba tribesman. Either way, folks are just plain ignorant these days and have a completely different attitude to the capabilities of a bike and rider. Most are of the opinion that if they are being held up in a traffic situation then "fuck you", you can damn well wait it out as well and will block off a bikers escape route as best they can.

Chris.

Back in the seventies/eighties in England it was very common for cars/trucks etc to "part the waves" for bikers when traffic was heavy but that was a generation of drivers who grew up knowing that it was rare for a bike to get in front and then impede traffic flow. Sadly, It's very different in this generation. It seems every cage riding freak takes it as a personal affront when a bike can make progress in traffic whilst they are jammed nose to tail with nothing better to do than follow Aunt Jemima's Birthday celebration on facebook or twitter some dopey prick they've never met before and discuss the average inside leg measurement of a Yoruba tribesman. Either way, folks are just plain ignorant these days and have a completely different attitude to the capabilities of a bike and rider. Most are of the opinion that if they are being held up in a traffic situation then "fuck you", you can damn well wait it out as well and will block off a bikers escape route as best they can.

Chris.

Ditto in Massachusetts. I've had cagers block me on purpose and some cut me off. I usually pull way over off the breakdown lane and ride the grass or gravel, or I'd be stuck in tourist traffic. Why some A-holes begrudge us I don't understand. It's illegal here as of today. Maybe they are enforcing the law?

Latest posts

Back