tappet adjustment, new coils, cranckecase preasure release, silicon water pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz1961

Reaction score
In the next month I want to do the following three tings to my 85vmax

1; Replace all the water hoses with silicone hoses. I see some cheap Chinese ones and was wondering if they were any good or if someone has used them and they are ok or rubbish?

2;my bike has a little tappet noise on the rear cylinder on the right side so I want to adjest them all. Is there anything I should be worried about?

3;My original coils on my 85 vmax are looking a bit , well tied but so far are still working okay. I was wondering if there is a good cheap new set available? as I am not a racer or looking for anything special except for my baby to run well

4;Is there a better crankcase preasure relese set up than the one that just plugs under the airfilter? and if yes where do I get it?

Like always thanks for everyones advice in advance. I really appreciate everything you guys do to always help me.:clapping::punk:

1) Don't know

2) A little noise is OK, it's when they are totally quiet you perhaps should be more concerned.
You would need to check and adjust the clearances first and re-assess then.
No point in worrying about a 'problem' that doesn't exist.
You will need the bucket hold down tool & to make the job a little easier one of those extending magnet tools to fish the shims out. Also a large socket (32mm) to rotate the crank and a small, quite sharp screwdriver to break the sticktion between the shim and bucket are useful.

3) I am a great believer in the 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' adage. If the bike is running OK then leave well alone.
If you do need to replace all four then I would have thought that CoP's would work out just as cost effective as replacement coils.
In my experience 'cheap' means you get what you pay for.

4) What leads you to believe that you have an issue with the breathing system?
In my experience it functions well. The only change I made to mine was to replace the flimsy hose which can kink and be a right sod to get back onto the spigot with thicker walled heater hose. Two issues solve in one.

I bought one of those cheap Chinese hose sets, but have not installed them. They look good but I doubt they are as good as OEM. I still have the original hoses on my old 85 and they are still holding after nearly 30 yrs. If you want coils, I have some listed in the Buy and Sell....http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=35501

I have a set of good condition used SAMCO blue hoses if you will but can only post in december.

Back