VMax mechanic in Northern Virginia

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO, the Vmax is a niche bike....and a LOT of stealerships say that they can work on them, but the dont know how to, I would say do all of the work yourself.

IMHO, the Vmax is a niche bike....and a LOT of stealerships say that they can work on them, but the dont know how to, I would say do all of the work yourself.

Spoken like someone who has the tools and the knowledge. I have a little knowledge, and a little skill, which we know is just enough to make me dangerous. :)

I took my last 85 to a guy out in western PA to do a Stage 7 jet kit on her, he did a bang up job, that bike ran great, he did remove the v boost, but she had solid power the whole way though. I think I'd like to get that done to this bike, as I'm pretty sure she's got a nice new exhaust but no jet kit, I'll post pics at some point when I pop the cover off the carbs and one of you fine gents can clue me in. :)

At any rate, I doubt I'll be drilling out carbs, like, ever, so I'll still be dependent on someone who knows what they are doing.

Joe

Well a LOT of my motorcycle specific tools....and the knowledge, I didnt get until AFTER getting my Vmax, and joining this forum.

Welcome to the forum jcmax !! Very few stealerships will work on older bikes like my 85' an -7 might be different. I had some jokers work on mine form martinsburg wva until I found this forum I will attempt to fix or replace when needed and most of all the people here are willing to help with questions .

But there were very few changes between an 85 and 07. Pick up coils, the electronics went from analog to digital, fork size, brake size...and that's basically it.

If you can work on an 85...you can work on an 07. Inversely.....if you cant work on an 85....please dont touch an 07.

Excuse I got from stealerships for not wanting to work on my 85' was it's to old wires are brittle and bolts snap off and most bikes that old are boogered up .

Sorry about that...they just didnt want to take the time for it. Heck all that an 85 needs over an 07, is a little bit more TLC, and I am in the process of buying a friends 86.

Hahaa alittle loving doesn't hurt either sometimes a good ole throw my tool down and walk away works too . Hey jcmax I have a friend that swears by a guy in falls church area I can get his number for you and you can talk with him .

Spoken like someone who has the tools and the knowledge. I have a little knowledge, and a little skill, which we know is just enough to make me dangerous. :)

I took my last 85 to a guy out in western PA to do a Stage 7 jet kit on her, he did a bang up job, that bike ran great, he did remove the v boost, but she had solid power the whole way though. I think I'd like to get that done to this bike, as I'm pretty sure she's got a nice new exhaust but no jet kit, I'll post pics at some point when I pop the cover off the carbs and one of you fine gents can clue me in. :)

At any rate, I doubt I'll be drilling out carbs, like, ever, so I'll still be dependent on someone who knows what they are doing.

Joe

happen to remember his name?

Latest posts

Back