Kuryakyn done me right.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Last year at Thunder, the throttle grip on the Roadstar broke, at Jim & Jimmies parking lot. A group of the guys descended on the bike, and we were able to modify the grip to work again. Well, the modification failed earlier in the week, and the throttle seized up at idle. Unfortunately, I was 20 miles from home. I wound up raising the idle speed to about 1500 or 2000 rpm, and nursed it home. There were a few hills on the route, which slowed me to 12 mph in first gear.

Taking the grip off, it was obvious that it wasn't repairable. A new set from Kuryakyn was almost $80.00, and copies off EBay were around $20.00.. I decided to call Kuryakyn to see what they'd do. Well, they apologized profusely for my problem, and immediately sent me a new set of ISO grips, which came yesterday, and are installed on the Roadie.

They did me right, and I thought they should be recognized here.

Bill, when you got home after the 'flying fix,' at Thunder in the Valley, why didn't you replace the failed parts? Just wondering.

Hey Bill, glad they took care of you. It wouldnt make sense for them not to step up considering their pricing. I consider it a worthy investment to support businesses/vendors that do the right thing. Its really not uncommon to have to pay 3-4x more for a quality item over the Chinese version, and THIS is why its usually well worth it. Thanks for propping the good guys.

Phil, what happened originally was the little hole that held the cable end that pulled the throttle open fractured. We wound up attaching the cable into the hole that the close pull cable hooked into. We then cut a slot for the wire to run through. Worked fine, and it looked stronger than original. I had removed the pull close cable, so the hole for it was free. I honestly thought it was better than new, as there was a lot more material around the point where the cable inserted into the plastic. When I had the grip apart yesterday, I did the old trick to lube the cable, rubber banding a plastic bag at the end of the cable casing, then filling it with a bit of 3 in 1 oil. It runs down the entire cable, oiling it well. I did notice a definite lessening of effort to pull the cable with my fingers after oiling it. Roadstars have a strong return spring on the throttle, but I saw no way to replace it with a weaker one, to lessen the stress on the plastic parts of the grip. However all is well now, and the grip turns very easily and smoothly.

Well, that sounds reasonable. I just tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to brakes and throttles. That's how we get to be 'old'-time bikers, yes?

You never bought one of those thumbscrew clamps that has a rubber block inside an anodized aluminum extrusion, to insert a red spray can wand into, for a cable pressure-lube? Man, I think I've used that little fella on every bike I've owned, since that and a manual impact driver were probably the first tools I bought with my first bike. I already had a Wright metric socket set and open-end wrenches from working on the family VW Beetles in the mid-1960's.

Good on Kuryakin for making it right!
You never bought one of those thumbscrew clamps that has a rubber block inside an anodized aluminum extrusion, to insert a red spray can wand into, for a cable pressure-lube? Man, I think I've used that little fella on every bike I've owned, since that and a manual impact driver were probably the first tools I bought with my first bike. I already had a Wright metric socket set and open-end wrenches from working on the family VW Beetles in the mid-1960's.
I use that very product to great effect, I always have smooth throttle action. I also have replaced the factory upper cables with a set from Barnett, who made a set in my choice of SS covers to match the rest of my bike. I had an issue at thunder but was able to "fix" it well enough to get me home, some 500 miles.

Last year at Thunder, the throttle grip on the Roadstar broke, at Jim & Jimmies parking lot. A group of the guys descended on the bike, and we were able to modify the grip to work again. Well, the modification failed earlier in the week, and the throttle seized up at idle. Unfortunately, I was 20 miles from home. I wound up raising the idle speed to about 1500 or 2000 rpm, and nursed it home. There were a few hills on the route, which slowed me to 12 mph in first gear.

Taking the grip off, it was obvious that it wasn't repairable. A new set from Kuryakyn was almost $80.00, and copies off EBay were around $20.00.. I decided to call Kuryakyn to see what they'd do. Well, they apologized profusely for my problem, and immediately sent me a new set of ISO grips, which came yesterday, and are installed on the Roadie.

They did me right, and I thought they should be recognized here.

Glad to hear Kuryakyn was able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back