Power outage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
There was a power outage at my web host facility, and the servers went down, so the Cycle-istiC web site is temporarily down as of last night, Monday July 1st. Hopefully it will be back up by end of today. In any case, we are still here, and can be reached by phone at 866-342-9253. Thanks for your patience.

Edit: Site is back up now, it was only down a little over 18 hours.

Wow 18h must have been an eternity. I'm surprised they didn't have power failover.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I guess it knocked out some of their server hardware, many sites were affected. I don't know that much about how the servers work. I'm more of a nuts & bolts guy, not so much electronics.

They should of had a battery backup system but sometimes even those get overwhelmed sometimes. We recently had a transformer blow up/ catch on fire and it took out one of our APC 3000 units, but we have each server with dual power supplies with each power supply on a separate UPS (4 UPS's per rack/ 7 servers in this rack) to prevent all but catastrophic events taking down a server.
We are in a rural area and most of our buildings have diesel generators auto failovers so the UPS's generally have to cover the surges/ brownouts and the 3-4 sec gap before the generators kick in. Most times you hear the generators kick in after a very brief power loss with the lights just flickering before returning to full brightness.

Yeah a proper datacenter has a row of monster UPS and generators. UPS for the instant cutover and for power regulation, and then a generator to go for the long haul.

Datacenters and bunkers will be the only things with power after the end of the world. Sounds like your host is co-located in a bum location, but if they're cheap enough then whatever. Assuming they're in a major metro power failures should be quite rare.

In fact just Google datacenter katrina and you can read all kinds of stories about datacenters that ran through that entire deal. Some were even converted into ops centers for aid and military because they were the only things with filtered air and power to work in.

Latest posts

Back