VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammed68

Reaction score
hello all,
I am the new owner of a 1993 w/ 6k miles. She has garage stored her entire life and up until I rescued her she sat unridden for around 2 years. Under my care she now has a new battery, fully broken down and rebuilt carbs, tank removed and cleaned and fresh oil and fork seals. After having the carbs synced I took her out and tacked on another 100 miles and then the rain hit. So after a day or so in the garage I went to start her up and.... nothing. Turn the key and everything clicks, but no go vroom.:confused2:
After breaking out the ol service manual and testing everything i could, no dice
starter relay resistance is good, ignition coils read 3.2 ohms at the wires and 13.4 in the boot wire. Battery is like 13.2V and has over 400 cold cranking amps and all the fuses test good.
So it says that i should be able to out the spark plug in the boot and ground it to the frame and click the start button and i should see spark... but i don't.
I've been probing all around and just can't figure this out:bang head:, please assist!!

Are all your ground wires clean and tight - at both ends? Are you saying the battery still shows 13.2V as it's sitting right now? Sometimes even a new battery will shoot craps, and could possibly show good voltage, but still not have enough umphh to crank a motor if the innards have broken. Perhaps you should pull it out and have it load tested, or at least put the volt meter across it and see what the voltage does as you are hitting the start button.

There's a main connector just under the main fuse panel that has been known to loosen, burn and cause grief too.

If none of the other suggestions work, your ECM may have a bad connection. It's kinda pain in the ass but you need to get to the connections on the the ECM and unplug them, spray some contact cleaner on the connectors and plug it in and out a few times. Then see if you have spark. If you have spark unplug the connector one last time and put a dab of dielectric grease on both connectors. If you still have no spark check the PU coil connector and check the olhm reading to PU coil, it should read 115 -+15% if I'm not mistaken. Worst case scenario is your ECM has gone South on you.........

Latest posts

Back