Marks 4-2 HP Gains?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
So I've been eyeballing exhausts and so far I like the looks and sound of the Marks performance 4-2 the best. It has a nice deep rumble and it doesn't seem deafening from what I've seen on the videos of it.

What can I expect in terms of performance gains from these? How do they stack up against, say, a Kerker 4-1 in terms of HP gains, or against other 4-2's?

I've read that 4-2's tend to be heavier and less efficient than 4-1's. Is this true? I much prefer the symmetrical look but not enough to pay $900 just to make it sound better.

Anybody have the cold hard facts on the Marks?

Thanks,

Connor

HP gains, no idea. Weight wise the Marks exhaust is VERY light, especially when compared to the stock exhaust system. I have the 4:2 and I would imagine the weight different between it and the single can would be negligible since the whole system is very light.

Captainkyle could enlighten you a bit more as I know he has experience with both versions.

Sound wise the 4:2 is amazing. I personally picked the Marks 4:2 for the sound and looks, performance was just icing on the cake for me.

Sent from my LG G3

The power will be pretty much the same for any full header (4-1 or 4-2) and is more defined by the mileage on the bike (higher mileage makes more power). The Marks is among the best quality of the pipes available and is why we use his primaries for the systems we offer (we use different mufflers).

Sean

I know that when I went to a Kerker 4-1, and dyno'd inbetween, I gained 3 hp. That being said, I had also installed a HEAVY RC 18 inch wheel, so I probably lost 1-2 hp right there. You can swap exhaust and dont have to rejet....or tune but to get the most hp....you wil need to tinker just a bit.

I have a dyno by my house, so everytime I would swap something, I would redyno.

Here is the thread.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=32875

Give Mark a call and tell him what you are looking for in your exhaust, he will hook you right up. I like mine, and haven't heard of anyone that didn't like theirs either!

The power will be pretty much the same for any full header (4-1 or 4-2) and is more defined by the mileage on the bike (higher mileage makes more power). The Marks is among the best quality of the pipes available and is why we use his primaries for the systems we offer (we use different mufflers).

Sean

If I were to invest in an aftermarket exhaust system, it would be the Marks or the Morley Hybrid 4-2. Fantastic sound and looks!
As per the power thing - why do the higher mileage bikes do better? Does this apply to bikes with stock systems as well? If so, can higher-mileage engines with stock systems benifit from carburation tweeks (jet sizes, needle positions,etc) to take full advantage of this available extra h.p.?
Cheers!

They are just getting broken in! The only 2 bikes we've had dyno over 130 rwhp had 60K plus miles on them. One tested with a Kerker one year and then the Marks the next year and only had a 1HP difference. BUT, this was different years so not a 100% valid comparison though the rest of the bikes tested both years were fairly consistent too.

We had a 1300 with home porting (bowl blending and radius work) make 133 rwhp with STOCK exhaust and NO jet kit. This did have 96k miles on it though.

Give Mark a call and tell him what you are looking for in your exhaust, he will hook you right up. I like mine, and haven't heard of anyone that didn't like theirs either!

I guess I'll do that. It seems like there's a lot of length and opening size options for the muffler itself and I want to make sure I get just the right one for what I want.

Anybody got a vid of theirs? There were only a few on YouTube and most had poor sound quality.

It is very difficult to get good sound both recording and playback.

They are just getting broken in! The only 2 bikes we've had dyno over 130 rwhp had 60K plus miles on them. One tested with a Kerker one year and then the Marks the next year and only had a 1HP difference. BUT, this was different years so not a 100% valid comparison though the rest of the bikes tested both years were fairly consistent too.

We had a 1300 with home porting (bowl blending and radius work) make 133 rwhp with STOCK exhaust and NO jet kit. This did have 96k miles on it though.

If that's the case, Bill's '85 stocker, with 130,000 miles, must be approaching Gen 2 HP numbers!:eusa_dance:

Longer tubes usually mean a bit quieter and deeper with marks I think. Also the turn-down caps aim the sound a bit.

Larger opening = Louder
Longer Can = More Sound Dampening available
Larger Diameter Can = Deeper Tone

So, a 12" can with 2.5" outlet will be louder then a 14" Can with 2.5" outlet. The 12" can with 2" outlet might still be louder then a 14" can with 2.5" outlet (or very similar) due to the reduction in sound dampening available. The diameter of the can has everything to do with tone. Smaller diameter cans are sharper while the larger are deeper.

Our "Big Gun" hybrid systems have large diameter cans and large diameter openings. The length keeps the sound under control though still loud. When compared to some of the the VooDoo (UFO) short "cans" ours are deeper and quieter because theirs have virtually zero sound dampening abilities (virtually a straight pipe).

I want a 16x5 carbon can with a 2" opening. I think the only way to do that would be to frankensteing something onto my Hindle like Fire-Medic did with his UFO.

Probably the Kerker/Supertrapp universal high flow muffler. Not cheap but well made. I don't know if i can still get one anymore but I had a few at one time (and can't remember if i sold them all).

The one pictured I think was 18" long at the time and 2" core with turndown tip (standard).

Attachments

• DSCN0345.jpg
    DSCN0345.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 83
My 4 into 2 w/ 12" can and 2.25" openings. This video is not a real good reproduction of the sound, so much better in person! Go to a Vmax meet to hear them all and you'll then know what sounds best for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEexwfjAisU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-X2tbrqmxo
I spent a lot of time behind this bike ("Redbone"), I can agree that it's one sweet sound!
And the dual exhaust - just looks SO MUCH better than the 4-1 ! Just my opinion, but look at any advertizements for new bikes with single-side exhausts.... most of the pics show the side with the exhaust can. Just looks SO MUCH better!
Cheers!

It was actually these two videos^^^^ that sold me on the exhaust. Is the sound pretty accurate in these?

Also, can you guys tell if these are the same spec pipe with different colors?

If anything I like the top one more but they sound pretty similar.

Thanks,

Connor

It was actually these two videos^^^^ that sold me on the exhaust. Is the sound pretty accurate in these?

Also, can you guys tell if these are the same spec pipe with different colors?

If anything I like the top one more but they sound pretty similar.

Thanks,

Connor
The black cans look to be 16" long whereas the silver pipes (Mikes) are 14" long/ 2.5" openings, I believe. Mike has different pipes now (Hindle) which are a 4 into 1.
I do like the look of those black cans though!

Back