Starter upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverado6x6

Reaction score
I have just started a full restoration of my 85, it does have a 98 motor, took out the starter and found first off both mounting bolts loose, top one backed off completely, I bought the bike late in the season, rode it 20 miles home and put it inside the house, stopped off for fuel and had issues starting, has a new Odyssey battery, so more than likely it was the loose bolts but I am definitely going to go with a 4 pole starter.

I see many selling on ebay, the Ricks Motorsports 61-412 is the 4 pole starter.
But I also see 4 pole rebuild kits at just $30 for the xvz13 Venture Royale, I have another 85, basket case, an 83 and an 85 Venture, both run so those starters are staying and an 89 xvz13, and no its not for sale :biglaugh:

Does anyone have a tried and true experience of using the later model Venture Royale starters in the older vmax 1200 engines? As far as I know they all interchange with the Vmax after going 4 pole in 2001.

I'm on a fixed income right now, if the 4 pole plate assembly would work then why not? Beats spending $200 And there are more Venture Royale starters at a cheaper price than Vmax starters.

I got a 4 brush starter from pinwall cycles on ebay. Total with shipping was under $30 and worked great.

I am also finding after some research that often if it's labeled " Vmax "it cost more i think I might try to save the two poles startet first.

Talk to Morley. I feel 4 brush is the way to go. You have to spend a few extra bucks. It beats being stranded!!

I have been starting the bike with a totally cleaned out 2 brush starter, plus I soldered tabs on the tabs on the brush plate to give more surface area for grounding, also added a dedicated 6 gauge wire from a mount bolt straight to negative side of the Odyssey pc680 battery, so far it's working great, maybe later I will get a newer 4 pole.

I emailed Rick's a couple months ago and asked if I could install their 4 brush plate n' stuff on my 89' 2 pole starter. They said it would not fit. Great idea, just won't work, I guess.

If maintained properly, the old two brush starters work fine. The original on my 85 is still cranking strongly.

Back