WORKING Gas Gauge (Sneek Peak)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentsvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys, here it is. You can go to youtube, "Working Vmax Gas Gauge" for a short developmental video.
Ill be posting many more step by step pics and phase 1 and 2 gauges.
The low fuel light sender and circuit are still intact, the light is now L.E.D.
as are all the rest of the pod lights. That cut tank is the R&D donor.

Attachments

• IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 159
  • PC130006.jpg
    PC130006.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 173
  • PC180018.jpg
    PC180018.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 163
Definitely flatter sensor design then we've been using so no seat modifications but more mods to the tank look like had to be done?

Thank you! and as for the tank, the only mod ,ONLY mod was an 1 1/2" hole to drop the sendig unit in through and 4 # 10s
to hold it down..The tank shown is my swiss chees donor tank.
The tank I run is a Mad Max 5 Gal. with a cutout for the offset, same cutout as needed
for chain drive. Trust me on this when I say there was no experimenting when I started
poking holes in that tank.
No tank mods and the low fuel sending unit is in its stock location.
Even at a higher than stock fuel capacity the tank still has that rear wheel cavity in it, that serves as a baffle at this point, the extra capacity is behind that.
Pictured is the inside of the stock donor tank with the rear wheel cavity.
A G.M. gauge matched the ohms range for that sending unit but I ended up
using a SpeedHut, their programmable, which would have saved a lot of my early research time had I known such a gauge was out here.

Attachments

• IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 99
So to date, I haven't seen a working gas gauge on this or any forum, Otec and Exactrep
say not being done over there either.

You've done a dandy job, but personally a gas gauge has never been a priority mod .
I find that the warning light and trip meter work just fine. Providing you know how far the reserve amount can take you. On my bike, I've gone over 50 kilometers on reserve several times.
On the other hand, your temperature gauge mod is interesting. Sooo much better than the OEM, with it's infamous red line and no actual numbers! If you do a search in the database, you will see that "overheating"(??!!) issues have given a great number of folks concern, resulting in many override switches and lower-temp thermostats.
My opinion is that if the bike had an engine temperature issue, Yamaha would have corrected it during the Gen 1 production run.
What has been the max temperature that you have observed, while riding your bike?
Cheers!

So to date, I haven't seen a working gas gauge on this or any forum, Otec and Exactrep
say not being done over there either.
You've done a nice job with your Vmax and I'm sure you'll not find many with an well thought out design.
There have three that I know of; KJShover's and RagingMain and possibly Lankee Yankee.
I have a 5 gallon tank and the sensor is mounted, but I have not purchased the gauge since I'm still searching for the right speedo/ tach/ fuel gauge setup.

We've had a working gauge for a number of years. I guess you just didn't look hard enough lol.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank - Gauge Instal 1.jpg
    Fuel Tank - Gauge Instal 1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Fuel Tank Inside View.jpg
    Fuel Tank Inside View.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Sending Unit Placement.jpg
    Sending Unit Placement.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Sending Unit Bend Angle.jpg
    Sending Unit Bend Angle.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Guage Cluster.jpg
    Guage Cluster.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 199
Nice work but for myself I have never seen the need for one on my bike . I just set the trip meter when I fill up & its good for me.

This works great until the trip knob breaks off xD

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I jut had a conversation with my nephew who rides a an R1. We were discussing mileage and gas gauges. I've always wanted a real gas gauge on my max. I'm not sure how the R1 alerts you to a low fuel level, but while talking to him, I've come to the realization that many times, I'm studying traffic and having too much fun and to keep looking down, to see if that little light is starting to glow (if you can see it at all in daylight). BUT.. I've come to appreciate the warning system.. Make the bike start to stumble. This forces me to look down to see what might be wrong.. I'd rather that, then having too much fun, and then everything comes to a complete stop when I'm out of fuel.:bang head: After flipping on the RES, my mind is now at "Find a gas station"
Just my humble thoughts.. Happy holidays everyone.

Good job on the gauge sending unit, Just me mind you, I gas gauge working a must have for me. Ran out gas 2 times not a nice feeling. Got in my zone riding and forgot to look at the red light/ reserve light.

This is the next thing I'm looking at. My to do list.
I'm looking at Sean unit and few others.

My old kaw ZL1000 had gas gauge on it. I use to have.

Got in my zone riding and forgot to look at the red light/ reserve light
How did that happen? Were you riding normally with the switch set to RES? Your fuel pump should have shut down, causing you to take notice..

Sean, that's a nice clean unit, had I seen it out here I would have ordered one, the tank too.
I wanted a working gas gauge long before my 300 mod came along.
I searched the archives of this forum , google and alot of other Vmax mod links and never saw a Morley gas gauge, infact I was all over facebook for Morleys Muscle, none there
oh well, master mod monkey would have been on me for something else anyway.

Miles Long, thanks and good question on the running temp, which stayed consistant at 210
between the first gauge Bosch (mechanical sending unit) and the Equus all electric.
I just got a new Klien tools infrered thermometer at work, Im going to shoot the thermostat housing and see if the motor really is that close to 212 which is the boiling point of water,
I think this was a long idle during a leak check and not road conditions yet, I didn't turn the fan on to see if there was a cool down temp, so Ill keep an update between now and Christmas
And by the way Merry Christmas everybody and Happy New Year, keep your powder dry and be safe!

I do like the flatter sender you used if it reaches the bottom of the tank. As you see on ours it's all the way down and is programmable to some extent depending on the gauge used. Both setups will do the job!

I do like the flatter sender you used if it reaches the bottom of the tank. As you see on ours it's all the way down and is programmable to some extent depending on the gauge used. Both setups will do the job!
When I had the sensor out I thought for sure the sensor would bottom when I put it back in but it does not. I had to do a little seat base mod for clearance so it would fit properly.

Latest posts

Back