Help on installing rear wheel.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
I am installing a 17" wheel , a welded up radial. It is pretty heavy.

I can't seem to.get the wheel to engage with the pumpkin. Any advice as it's a bitch to move around. I got the axel.to.go thru but won't extend past the pumpkin as the gears won't align.

I am installing a 17" wheel , a welded up radial. It is pretty heavy.

I can't seem to.get the wheel to engage with the pumpkin. Any advice as it's a bitch to move around. I got the axel.to.go thru but won't extend past the pumpkin as the gears won't align.

Has any other work just been done? Does the axle go through the pumpkin without the wheel?
Go through the wheel uninstalled?

I took the old wheel off and it was fine. If I take the pumpkin off and try to connect to the wheel off the bike, should it just slip on easily?

You should be able to move the wheel up & down a bit and the splines will align. Rotate it slightly as you try and push it onto the splines. You shouldn't have to remove the pumpkin to check fitment, but of course you can if you choose.

Sometimes it just takes some fiddling around to get the splines to engage.

For me, a little lift up and spin typically works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, a good point, holding the splines stationary with the bike in-gear, while you lift the wheel up and down, and rotate it slightly, should make it easier to align. Also remember that you do have some weight there, it's not like it will fall into alignment, you have to use a bit of force to push it onto the splines once the splines on the mating pieces align. Think of how much easier it is to put a car or truck wheel onto the brake hub studs if the car wheel is immobile. And, just the act of alignment doesn't automatically draw them together, as if they were opposing-pole magnets.

Question, is the bike in gear?

Thanks for the advice. Read on another post to put in gear, which I did not do, and try fitting without the brake caliper in place just to get it aligned first. Will try again tonight.

Yes, it has not been possible for me to mount a widened wheel without removing the rear caliper, even w/the tire deflated. You can leave the hose connected, just remove the caliper from the carrier, and use a baling wire to hold it secure and out of the way, w/no strain on the hose.

Thanks for the advice. Read on another post to put in gear, which I did not do, and try fitting without the brake caliper in place just to get it aligned first. Will try again tonight.

Latest posts

Back