stupid question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboom

Reaction score
I have read nearly every thread in this forum....
I can't find anyone who has come up with a way to keep the stock "dump box" for lack of a better term, and add different cans.....

Has anyone tried to cut off the stock megaphones and attach different cans???

Is it possible???

I hope this makes sense.......:ummm:

I think if you have ever taken off the stock exhaust you won't want to put it back on. Not that it is hard to take off/ install....it's just once you have that puppy in your hands your eye are gonna light up just thinking how much it would bring as scrap metal. IT IS HEAVY!
davidon is correct that slipons are way to go if your not going to either keep it stock or replace with a full exhaust.

I may be mistaken.....but I thought slipons replaced the stock megaphones and the big box that the head pipes feed into.....

Do they retain that stock box????

Do ya know what I mean???

Headpipes go into big hidden box that I thought was one piece with the megaphones.......am I wrong??

I ain't had this thing apart yet.....but it seems if you could keep that box and replace the megaphones you would have a 4 into 1 into 2.....

Is this what the slipons do?????:confused2:

If I am wrong I apologize for my ignorance:ummm:

No, you are correct. The stock cans and the "big box" are one unit. They weigh around 15-18 lbs.
The slipon's connect into the 4 stock "headers" so they are 4 into 2 and they replace the stock cans and "big box".

All the slipons I have seen replace the collector and the mufflers which knocked off probably at least 30 pounds. Each slip-on attaches to two head pipes directly. I have had Jardine, Kerker and Supertrapp which are the most common I think and they were all the same in how they attach.

All the slipons I have seen replace the collector and the mufflers which knocked off probably at least 30 pounds. Each slip-on attaches to two head pipes directly. I have had Jardine, Kerker and Supertrapp which are the most common I think and they were all the same in how they attach.

are you sure?

i thought slip ons only replaced the stock cans and collector remained

are you sure?

i thought slip ons only replaced the stock cans and collector remained

Yes he's sure. And I second it.
When you take off your "megaphones" which are called mufflers... the "hidden box" which is called a collector...
Will both come off in one piece. Unless you use a hacksaw to separate the mufflers from the collector.
I have one sitting right here on the floor, so I am certain of this.
Slip-ons, no matter what brand will connect to your exhaust pipes where the Collector did. Therefore eliminating both the collector and the mufflers!

Yes he's sure. And I second it.
When you take off your "megaphones" which are called mufflers... the "hidden box" which is called a collector...
Will both come off in one piece. Unless you use a hacksaw to separate the mufflers from the collector.
I have one sitting right here on the floor, so I am certain of this.
Slip-ons, no matter what brand will connect to your exhaust pipes where the Collector did. Therefore eliminating both the collector and the mufflers!

Yeah ok now i remeber. ive had a full exhaust since 99' so i couldnt remember

i do recall the cans and collector that big ass conglomoration

The reason I am asking is there seems to be universal agreement that the stock system, though heavy, works fairly well....

And that a 4 into 1 into 2 will perform better than 4 into 4 or 4 into 2.....

So.....if a person was not looking for a weight reduction, was happy with the stock performance, but wanted a better sound.....

They could try to keep the stock collector and ditch the stock mufflers for something else.....

Has it been tried??

Why wouldn't it work??:confused2:

Kaboom....It sounds like you want slip-ons with a collector or crossover.
Look on the Exactrep website at the Marving's...they have a crossover.

Yea....I like the Marvings.....:worthy:

sorry to kinda hijack the thread, but if I was to take off my collector/mufflers and put a pair of Supertrapps on (have a pair on my spare bike), considering my only intake mod so far is a K&N air filter, and that I'm a sea level, would I be looking at needing to re-jet?

sorry to kinda hijack the thread, but if I was to take off my collector/mufflers and put a pair of Supertrapps on (have a pair on my spare bike), considering my only intake mod so far is a K&N air filter, and that I'm a sea level, would I be looking at needing to re-jet?

To get perfection, then yes you MAY need to rejet.

But you should be fine without rejetting. youll have to see how it runs with the mods

alot of people who put on trapps and filter never rejet and typically dont have issues.

The reason I am asking is there seems to be universal agreement that the stock system, though heavy, works fairly well....

And that a 4 into 1 into 2 will perform better than 4 into 4 or 4 into 2.....

So.....if a person was not looking for a weight reduction, was happy with the stock performance, but wanted a better sound.....

They could try to keep the stock collector and ditch the stock mufflers for something else.....

Has it been tried??

Why wouldn't it work??:confused2:

your making this out to be to complicated.

If all your looking for is a better sound then find an exhaust you like the sound of and go with it. any exhaust full or slip on.

yes the stock system works fairly well as you stated but when you add slip ons or a full exhaust you get an improvement with power, weight and most importantly to you sound.

why are you concerned about keeping the collector?

you arent going to gain anything by keeping it, except weight.

you arent going to lose anything or have any adverse affects by taking it off. Unless your trying to meet some emissions standards

your making this out to be to complicated.

If all your looking for is a better sound then find an exhaust you like the sound of and go with it. any exhaust full or slip on.

yes the stock system works fairly well as you stated but when you add slip ons or a full exhaust you get an improvement with power, weight and most importantly to you sound.

why are you concerned about keeping the collector?

you arent going to gain anything by keeping it, except weight.

you arent going to lose anything or have any adverse affects by taking it off. Unless your trying to meet some emissions standards

No......I am trying to make this cheap....

I can buy a set of turnout mufflers with removeable baffles for $100.00...or less if ya shop right....

Yeah I know.....save your money......I can't save money.....

I used to work for GM......if I could save money I probably would not need to work now......or I'd be riding a $50,000 custom.......

Mute point anyway......it's for sale:damn angry:

Latest posts

Back