PCW in Schenectady, NY

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
My Vmax has had the infamous "speed wobble" since I got it. I'd tried everything from adjusting the head bearings, new tires, adjusting tire pressure up and down, furbur fix, ect. Nothing seemed to make an appreciable difference. I'm fairly handy, but have a very limited "shop" and tools to work on things, so I was kind of hesitant to change the actual head bearings.

I called up PCW and described the issue, saying I thought I probably needed new head bearings ('97 with about 24k on it). They asked a few questions about the bike, mileage, year, what tires, any mods to the suspension, where the wobble occurs and if anything else seems to trigger it. They initially quoted me about $200 to just change the bearings(which I provided). We talked a bit more about their "complete control" kit, which is 1" lowering blocks in the forks, Progressive fork springs(which I already had), and front end inspection/adjustment. They said based on past customers with the same issue, this kit cleared up the issue every time. Set up an appointment to bring the bike in. Brendan was very friendly and knowledgeable on the phone and we talked for probably 20 min about the specific problems and price options.

Dropped the bike off on a Tuesday and got a phone call Friday morning saying the work was done and they were just waiting for John to take it for a test drive and give it his a-ok before it went out the door. Got another call about 2 hours later saying it was ready for pickup, and a chat about the final bill and recommendations. They said the ebay special shocks on the back were 1/2" shorter than the originals to start with, and compressed about an inch when you sat on it, making the bike squat in the back under load and reducing weight on the front wheel, causing the wobbly handling. They sold me a set of like new stock rears for $40. Seemed very concerned about my satisfaction, said to call back if there were any issues or questions. On the way home I took it up to 130 and not the slightest hint of a wobble...it had never felt so solid. The 1" lowering is slightly noticeable sitting on the bike but it makes the initial turn-in and overall "confidence" in corners a lot better...no more wiggle when hitting bumps while cornering either.

I swapped in the stock rears anyway when I got home, I'll put the old ones up on ebay.

Anyway couldn't be happier with this shop and won't hesitate to refer friends to them or for any future work I don't feel comfortable doing myself. They don't try to sell you stuff you don't need, keep you involved with good communication, and stand behind their work 100%

Highly recommended.

i THIS IS GOOD TO NO " RA " , ALSO I NO " DANNYMAX " DEALS WITH THEM AND THEY ARE DOING HIS VALVES ON HIS FJR IN A WEEK OR TWO ! .. :punk:

i ALSO " RA " NOW THAT YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT , I HIGHLY RECOMMEND PUTTING 7 THREE INCH SPIKES ON YOUR AIR BOX LID ! . :biglaugh: . :biglaugh: . :biglaugh: . :rofl_200:

Nice to know,my MABLE is there now. I WONT let the Mod monkey in my shop,I take her to the monkey!

Yeah, I saw your bike parked out front when I dropped it off...we actually talked about the maxgasser seat on it for a bit

I'm still not sure about the spikes Tim...that's like saying you put harnesses in your car so now it's OK to put a big spike on the steering wheel to hold your donuts.

Plus you originated the spiked out look....two vmaxes with spikes at brownie run would just be too much.....

Yeah, I saw your bike parked out front when I dropped it off...we actually talked about the maxgasser seat on it for a bit

I'm still not sure about the spikes Tim...that's like saying you put harnesses in your car so now it's OK to put a big spike on the steering wheel to hold your donuts.

Plus you originated the spiked out look....two vmaxes with spikes at brownie run would just be too much.....
i :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: YOUR ARE ONE FUNNY DUDE " RA " . :rofl_200: . :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

PCW did my 1500 Tourmaster motor and in 12,000 miles not one problem. The scary thing was they did this in 60 days! I had bought a spare 2000 Vmax motor for the Summer with little hope to have my 1200 converted to a 1500 back for the seasson. Well. the spare motor was totally not needed.

rickrash

I switched bikes with Dave T.(alias the yellow blur) one day last season and took his 1400 + through the gears. Bad idea. Now I'm determinned to hand the Mistress over to the mod monkey. Plan on riding alot this year, wear her out some.
Steve-o

Last edited:
John does incredible work for sure!! Toxic's 1428 has run flawlessly for the past 2 seasons and over 45,000 km. Problem is that hp is addicting and the Mod Monkey has made a recommendation that a 1570 conversion from PCW may be in order:biglaugh:

John does incredible work for sure!! Toxic's 1428 has run flawlessly for the past 2 seasons and over 45,000 km. Problem is that hp is addicting and the Mod Monkey has made a recommendation that a 1570 conversion from PCW may be in order:biglaugh:
i THATS ALWAYS THE PROBLEM , RACE CARS , BOATS , BIKES , NOTHING IS EVER FAST ENOUGH ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT ! .. :confused2:

TIM , you forgot women in there:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
i " RICK " FOR WOMEN I HAVE A 30 DAY RULE THAT 99.9% OF THE TIME I WISH I HAD ADHERED TOO MYSELF , AFTER 30 DAYS NO MATTER HOW - HOT - HOW GREAT IN BED - HOW NICE - HOW FUNNY - HOW DOWN TO EARTH THEY SEEM , " ITS ALL BULLSHIT " , SO WITH THAT BEING SAID , NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE TO DO IT , JUST SAY " I'M SORRY BUT YOU GOTTA GO " ! .. :biglaugh:

Yes sir i had John build me a 1500 tourmaster this year, he and Brendon know the vmax inside an out,just finished up the final chrome pieces for my max today cant wait to get her out on the road to see what she does then off to the dyno for bigger hp #s with the marks 4 2 1 system.

I had PCW do work on my heads and had there HD starter clutch mod done this winter, Great people to do business with. Friendly and professional. Highly reccommend them!

I still dont have mable back,couple weeks "over due", but im not pushin...........yet. I know it will be right when I do get it back.

Looks like Mable and I will reunite tomorrow,Ive missed her so! Spoke with John this afternoon and there were a couple minor clearence issues but he says she's all set ready to go. to bad its going to be raining:bang head::bang head::bang head: maybe even some snow,sleet and freezing rain through the berkshires in the morning........but the afternoon might clear out :clapping:And I can get in a ride :biglaugh: to my sons stealerships open house

Hmm, hope it was worth the wait! Are we in for another BR "big reveal"?

I got a bit of wobble again last time I was out and overall it just felt "looser" than when I first got it back. I gave it another little tap of tension, figured the bearings were "settling it" and it seems to be better again.

Back