Full exhaust question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJimi

Reaction score
I am looking at a full exhaust or slip on's. If I put a full system on do i need to rejet my carbs? I am thinking I have to, the bike is stock at this point with the oem air filter.

Thanks.

Well it's always better if you rejet the carbs.....but not necessary. If you do rejet.....you should go leaner. Because the exhaust flows more air out...it will pull more air in....and with it more fuel. Usually with slip on. ..you go 1 jet leaner....and with full exhaust 2 jets leaner.

Wow! Traumahawk. That is twice in the last two days that you must have posted 2 seconds before me. It makes it look like I'm not reading what you say, but believe me, your post wasn't there when I started typing mine.

Matt

What's your goal ? Performance or sound ?

If it's performance , a full exhaust needs a Stage 7 kit or Morleys Muscle jet kit to take full advantage of your exhaust system.

If it's sound there are slip on exhaust cans that can give you the noise you want , but not much for a performance upgrade.
:punk:

Wow! Traumahawk. That is twice in the last two days that you must have posted 2 seconds before me. It makes it look like I'm not reading what you say, but believe me, your post wasn't there when I started typing mine.

Matt

LOL....I understand, and believe me.....its happened to me as well.

Thanks for the info, at this point its mainly a sound thing so I think I will take the less expensive route and just do slip ons

Nah, go big or go home.

The jet kit isn't that much more $ if you are gonna buy a new exhaust. It will run better, tuned, and then, sound and more pow-ah!!!

Keep it stock until you can do it right.

You can always start with slip ons and then add the other components as you can afford to. Why live with a boring quite stock sound. The other alternative, if it is really just a sound thing is to drill your baffles out a bit. I did this and really liked it until I upgraded the whole system. If my stock exhaust wasn't dented I would have just kept it that way. Just drill out the 5 rivets that hold the end plate on, I drilled 6mm or 1/4 holes exactly between each rivet hole and then went and bought the next size up rivet, spaced them with a Teflon washer and reattached the end plate. Look it up on youtube, there are some examples. The other choice is to just drill the original rivet holes bigger and leave the end cap off.

Matt

Unless you just want increased noise from slip-ons, save the cash until you can afford to mod the intake and exhaust sides and gain power and an increase in sound.

Slip-ons don't increase power, they weigh less, look different, and sound different. In some cases, they cost you horsepower! (Cobra 4 into 4's, no scavenging) If I was going to spend hundreds of $$ I would be spending it on a performance increase, but your priorities may be different.

Picked up a set of Supertrapp slip ons from a member today, hopefully I will have them on by the weekend

I've been looking into slip-on's and the Supertrapp are always an inexpensive choice. What's the turnout? Do you like them? Does your Vmax run well without rejetting?

Picked up a set of Supertrapp slip ons from a member today, hopefully I will have them on by the weekend��

Black or Stainless ? I have a set of satin black ones under a blanket in the garage if you or anyone else is interested.

I've had the black Supertrapps with stock jetting on my Vmax for 4 or 5 years now and it runs well and sounds great but it is a little bit rich.
I run Open Caps around town and 8 discs with closed caps on longer/group rides.
I am going to tear my carbs down this winter for a rebuild and I plan on throwing some 150 Mains in to lean it out a tad.

Im running Kerker 4-2-1, drop in K&N and it had the stage 1 jet kit installed and was so rich it was stumbling after 4k. Im down to a 145 jet and still playing with needle position but it finally runs properly at 3500'.

Nah, go big or go home.

The jet kit isn't that much more $ if you are gonna buy a new exhaust. It will run better, tuned, and then, sound and more pow-ah!!!

Keep it stock until you can do it right.

words to live by , GO BIG or GO HOME

Unless you just want increased noise from slip-ons, save the cash until you can afford to mod the intake and exhaust sides and gain power and an increase in sound.

Slip-ons don't increase power, they weigh less, look different, and sound different. In some cases, they cost you horsepower! (Cobra 4 into 4's, no scavenging) If I was going to spend hundreds of $$ I would be spending it on a performance increase, but your priorities may be different.

You talk about scavenging open headers are your best bolt on HP no scavenging. :ummm:

Dave

I'm gonna defer on this to someone like Sean Morley to list the many reasons from his personal engine building experience why this is a bad idea. All open headers is gonna do is piss-off your neighbors, the local police, and everyone you meet on the road. Open headers may be a 'good idea' if you're running an engine on a test stand trying for a high HP # at close to max RPM, but the engine doesn't live in regular use at that RPM level, and it would be tuned for high HP, and likely not respond well at part-throttle, which is where you ride probably 98% of the time.

If you look at pics of engines on test stands where they are running until the exhaust systems glow orange-red, they are running scavenged headers.

You talk about scavenging open headers are your best bolt on HP no scavenging. :ummm:

Dave

Back