Face-lift

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decter

Reaction score
Hello all,

So, looking to finally have some down time to customize my bike the way I have wanted to. I was hoping you guys could provide some good feed back on the goals, as well as cost/feasibility. Long term goal is maximum performance, handling, and similar appearance to the bike below.

Goals:
1. Want to get the bike up to around 125 rwhp:
- Carbs
- Custom jetting
- Custom exhaust
- Any suggestions?

2. Get the bike's wet weight down to around low to mid 500's:
- Remove center stand
- Custom exhaust
- Custom front and rear wheels (cant remember the suggested brand, around 1000-2000)
- Possible replace the triple tree and front forks with r1 or equivalent

3. Better handling:
- Upgrade brakes (I have heard Busa brakes are good?)
- Custom front and rear wheels

4. Aesthetics:
- Looking for this overall look!

screenshot program

Thanks,
Nick

Well first of all for 125 RWHP, your looking at either a stage 7 kit, or Seans muscle jet kit, and a good aftermarket exhaust. Me personally I prefer The muscle jet kit,. and a kerker 4-1 for sound. Some people dont like it because it is just a 4-1, and so is on the right side only.

The tires that your thinking of are probably the carrozzeria wheels that Sean sells. They are lighter than stock, and with them you can run radials. Depending on the forks you use, will denote your choices in brakes.

Getting the weight down to mid 500's will be a little on the tough side. Getting it down to 600 is do able, but the other 50 will be tough.

An r1 front end won't be lighter...
Sean's wheels, no center stand, and exhaust will probably drop 50 pounds. Most of the rest of the weight is gonna have to come off you.

Do the single 320mm rotor from Sean as well to cut a couple pounds. You can also make a fiberglass rear seat section replacement. The motor, frame, and swingarm/final drive aren't light. You might actually lose some weight going chain drive, but that's $$>benefit for most of us.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

To be honest, the cost/effect ratios will not add up to what you desire. Not with this bike, anyways. Mid 500's may be a possibility while keeping it in cost, but beyond that, it will take some hefty chunks out of your wallet for the last few ounces.

Replacing the exhaust is going to be one of the most important things. You will most likely save a lot of weight, and if you buy the right exhaust, it shall give you better flow out, and retain scavenging of exhaust gasses in the upper RPM ranges. Combine that with the jet kit Traumahawk mentioned is the way to go there. Also to consider is an aftermarket ignition setup. Ignatech (not certain of the spelling) is an outstanding choice I hear, and if it can work with a coil-over-plug setup, thats even better. If you REALLY want more power, you could consider contacting Sean Morley about a big bore engine. There is truth to the adage of, "there is no replacement for displacement." I am positive that will cost you a huge wad of cash though.

Lightweight wheels such as the ones mentioned above are definitely another must consideration. Not only will they save weight, but the bike will handle better for that, as well as the huge handling improvement from going to radials. Suspension upgrades do not have to be a full USD setup from an R1 or similar bike. Going to Progressive or Racetech springs will net a noticable improvement, and you can include one of Racetech's valve emulators for further improvement. Lastly, frame braces and solid motor mounts will help by stiffening the frame. This will help as well in the handling department.

Personally, I would not recommend going to a single rotor on the front, only because at those power levels, I would want to do everything possible to improve braking. Braided Stainless lines and premium HH rated pads will do wonders, or you could move up to either R1 or Busa (depending on the year of your bike) calipers.

Chain drive would help in reducing weight, as well as helping get more rear wheel ponies to the ground. As Dave said, though, that will be possibly more costly than it is worth. Only you can decide if the benefits outweigh the high price.

To be honest, do you have enough desire to do all of that to the V-Max? If you want the power and lighter weight, combined with better handling, and you WANT it to be the V-Max, then I say go for it. Otherwise, there are multiple other bikes out there that would probably serve the purpose considerably better for the task. (I have run into a similar problem, though I am going in a much different direction. For me, my love for the V-Max is enough that I have not given up on making the bike I love to be the bike I want her to be.)

We can help with all of it and depending on the budget I think you can do everything you want. The big weight savings are of course the exhaust and wheels. From there it's much less per swap but still each lb or oz will get you there.

I have a limited about of the wheels remaining (5 sets I think) so might want to consider looking into that first.

The 320mm brake upgrade was more then enough stopping power for the turbo dragbike so don't sweat that too.

Sean

Lots of great suggestions. Good luck in your quest. Here is my version of your description of a possible goal. Bring $$$

Attachments

• Rollies '98 Vmax 10.jpg
    Rollies '98 Vmax 10.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 95
The difference in weight between OE and my Dymags was 3lb front and 7lb rear which included tyres and disks.
You could save another 1.5lb by fitting CoP's.

I would have thought a USD set-up wold weigh more than OE. Also the cost/ benefit is at best marginal.
Racetech emulators and springs, replaced rear shocks and solid mounts + 17" wheel will give you a bike that will handle better than most riders need. If you need more then you are probably riding far too fast and shouldn't be on the road!

Once you have done any fuelling mods then also budget for set-up time on the dyno.

Looks are a personal thing but the wheels on the Hardly you show don't seem to be conducive with weight loss?
As for the final effect just keep looking at other peoples bikes and take the elements that YOU like, After all it's your scoot so go ahead and do whatever floats your boat.

So, would I be better off selling the Gen 1 and just upgrading to a Gen 2 then?

How well do Gen 2s handle?

Gen 2 definitely handle a LOT better than a Gen 1. But with the right suspension mods a Gen 1 will handle well enough for most riders.
I personally have no trouble keeping up with most riders in the curves and all I have is Progressive Fork Springs and a Shinko TM 230 rear with Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V front Bias tires.
I did just add RMSportmax weld on frame braces so that should help stabilize my Gen 1 in the curves even more.
Personally I'd throw in some aftermarket fork springs and a Shinko TM 230 rear with a good sport touring front tire and test it out.
You will be amazed at how much better it handles with just those small changes.
I'd bet money that Marcus Hickman has out run a few Gen 2's on his heavily modified Gen 1 at the Dragon a time or 2.

Attachments

• VMax_Marcus_Hickman_cornering_3.jpg
    VMax_Marcus_Hickman_cornering_3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 52
Hm. You guys have given me a good bit to think about. Seems like I have three options:

1. Invest the money to make my current Vmax completely unique (down side is if I ever have to sell it I lose to 3000-4000 I put in upgrades on it)
2. Sell my current Vmax and buy a Gen 2 (cost around an extra 7000-8000 but holds its value)
3. Sell my current Vmax and buy a Sportbike and a touring bike each to meet a different niche (I may get divorced with this option!)

The option 1 is the way many chose because they get the custom bike that is different then anyone else can just go buy.

Sean

Truth is it will never handle like a sportbike no matter what you do it has Piggy back shocks so all depends on how deep your pockets are an once you start modding the bike you will never stop and a vmax is a nasty expensive bike to mod. You might be better off looking on ebay for a bike that has the mods already done cause we all know you lose your ass on resale . I think there are a few on ebay now also one here on the forum its a mad max chain drive and would be a good deal

So, happily, the wife just said she is fine with me keeping the Vmax and getting a sport bike as well. Looking at maybe getting an 09 1125CR if I cant get my hands on one.

Side bar-Knowing the that Gen 2 handles far better than the Gen 1, how do they handle compared to say a Vrod or a sportier bike (FZ1)?

Nick

If I could justify another bike I would find a used gen2 and see whet I could do to improve the easthetic issues. A vrod is a real improvement over other HD models but its no max.

I am leaning pretty heavily towards the Gen 2. My only concern is that given the much larger size it wont handle very well.

Any thoughts?

Also, anyone have any experience with a Ducati Diavel?

I am leaning pretty heavily towards the Gen 2. My only concern is that given the much larger size it wont handle very well.

Any thoughts?

Also, anyone have any experience with a Ducati Diavel?

The Gen2 Vmax handles quite excellent!
The fuel range is the major downfall of that bike

I can't speak about the Diavel other then they look great IMO!

Hm. You guys have given me a good bit to think about. Seems like I have three options:

1. Invest the money to make my current Vmax completely unique (down side is if I ever have to sell it I lose to 3000-4000 I put in upgrades on it)
2. Sell my current Vmax and buy a Gen 2 (cost around an extra 7000-8000 but holds its value)
3. Sell my current Vmax and buy a Sportbike and a touring bike each to meet a different niche (I may get divorced with this option!)

3 is exactly (apart from looks of course!) why I like the Vmax so much: it's two bikes in one :punk: (three in fact, if you count "dragster" as a separate breed:biglaugh:)

Back