Interested in the Vmax as a second bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoChet

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thank you for having me at this forum.

I am currently just looking around at possibilities for a second bike to play with at home. I'm no stranger to power on a motorcycle, I've had everything from Ducati 1098 to Yamaha MT-01, Suzuki M109 and currently ride a 2012 Rocket III Roadster.

I was kind of just playing around with the idea of having a second bike to play with at home, to customize a little or just enjoy something that doesn't weigh 800lbs like my Rocket...

I had a couple of questions.. I did some research and found that the design of the Gen 1 Vmax has mostly not changed except for a few small things, I would probably prefer to buy something in the 2003-2006 age range (this fits around my budget around $5000 or so)

Does the Vmax strike you as a reliable bike? My only concern is that I don't like Carbd machines because of the maintenance requirements.. I really like fuel injection because theres no real need to do any work on it... and because where I live I have to store the bike for months at a time during winter I worry about the carbs getting gunky and stuff. I did have a 1981 CB900F at one point that I bought, reconditioned it to working condition and then sold because I couldn't keep up with how fussy it was with the brakes and the carb was always leaking and stuff.

What kind of fuel mileage does the Vmax Gen 1 get on a full tank of gas?
What kind of modifications do owners of Gen 1 typically do to their bike when they get it?
I understand this Gen 1 model has been around for about 20 years.. would the later model years be considered "Rock solid" as far as their design goes? Im talking about parts that are reliable and any maintenance issues associated with these bikes... What kind of mileage is considered high for a Vmax? I would assume that if it was a rock solid bike, even one thats used with 20,000km on the clock still has lots of life left?

Thanks guys!! I'll be reading the rest of the webdsite in the meantime gathering info.. :punk:

If you don't like maintaining carbs, a Gen 1 might not be the bike for you. The engines are near bullet proof ridden normally, but carbs do need cleaning and sync checked periodically. 100k and up isn't uncommon. I've gone 150 miles on a tank a couple of times. I'd estimate 100 to 120 miles and we're starting to look for a gas station, on average. Feel free to search the threads on mods. They are endless.

If you don't like maintaining carbs, a Gen 1 might not be the bike for you. The engines are near bullet proof ridden normally, but carbs do need cleaning and sync checked periodically. 100k and up isn't uncommon. I've gone 150 miles on a tank a couple of times. I'd estimate 100 to 120 miles and we're starting to look for a gas station, on average. Feel free to search the threads on mods. They are endless.

+1, You might want to save your coins up for a Gen 2 Vmax, price seems to be dropping slightly every year.

Thanks for your quick response! I was afraid of that. I don't have the tools or the knowledge for that type of maintenance, I am not afraid of learning it but I just don't have the time... I am sure many can appreciate being able to just get on the bike and ride... Which is why I like FI, even after 6 months of storage just put the key in and go. I think the mileage also worries me a little bit, my Rocket can get me up to 400kms on a single tank so looking for a gas station after 160kms or so might not be for me... A little disappointing, this bike looks like a lot of fun from what I hear.

I do think that the gen 1 is a reliable bike. I have had no qualms hopping on it, and riding 300 miles away.

If the bike SITS...thats when you will start having carb issues. Once they are tuned and in good shape, then you will only need to do a carb sync about every 8000 miles....if I remember right.

Usually one of the first mods is changing out the stock seat. With the stock seat in place....you will be GLAD that the fuel light comes on around 100 miles (on average) and you can get OFF.

There are several seat options to pick from.

5000 will DEFINITELY get you a nice Vmax.

After you ride one.....and you feel Vboost kick in.....you will be hooked.

All changes (except cosmetic) occurred before the 2003 model year. Probably the #1 mod is aftermarket fork springs , that improve the handling considerably.
As for the carbs - yes they do have to be synced occasionally, but this is only a 15 minute job, once you have done it initially. Adding a conditioner (such as Seafoam) to the gas during riding season will generally keep the carbs clean (its the idle circuits that usually clog up first, resulting in rough idle).
A big advantage of the Max is that it uses regular grade gasoline. Certainly a cost saving, if you put alot of K's on your bike in a season. Of course the disadvantage of using regular is that most brands contain ethanol. This is where the conditioner comes into play.
I live in the Great White North as well. I've never had a problem with winter storage. For the last couple tanks in the fall, I use high-test (no ethanol). Then for storing (in a semi -heated garage), the tank is filled with high-test, and Seafoam as well as a fuel stabilizer is added. The battery stays in (another popular upgrade is a AGM battery), with a trickle charger attached.
In the spring, the bike starts instantly (sometimes quicker!)
Welcome to the forum!:punk:

Thanks again for the responses everyone. I do like the Gen 2 vmax as well, but its out of my price range for now and i think its too similar to what I already own (Rocket III) I wanted something that would compliment it nicely... the Gen 1 vmax seemed to fit the bill but I've got to think about it, the mile range and the carbs are the things on my mind right now that make me want to reconsider... I was hoping that a Gen 1 would be a potentially good touring bike but apparently not so :( Im sure you can travel for a while on it but its got a small tank.. I'll keep reading through the forums though and see what information I can gather about all the other cool stuff. IT looks like there tons of upgrades and customizations for this bike which does appeal to me!

Do you have one that you can test ride? I would suggest that before you decide to buy....or not buy....ride one.

The Vmax has its plus's.....and minus's...like all bikes. The thing that truly sets it apart, is that it is like NO OTHER bike out there.

I would suggest putting out an invitation on this forum for someone close to you, and see if you can go for a test ride?

Thanks again for the responses everyone. I do like the Gen 2 vmax as well, but its out of my price range for now and i think its too similar to what I already own (Rocket III) I wanted something that would compliment it nicely... the Gen 1 vmax seemed to fit the bill but I've got to think about it, the mile range and the carbs are the things on my mind right now that make me want to reconsider... I was hoping that a Gen 1 would be a potentially good touring bike but apparently not so :( Im sure you can travel for a while on it but its got a small tank.. I'll keep reading through the forums though and see what information I can gather about all the other cool stuff. IT looks like there tons of upgrades and customizations for this bike which does appeal to me!

:rofl_200:You think a Vmax Gen II is too similar to a Triumph Rocket III! :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Sorry, I've never heard that one before, and it struck my funny bone. :biglaugh:

OMG, still lol.

Not gonna try to convince you either way on owning a Gen1 Vmax, but can offer the following info.

Carbs are not that big a deal if they are maintained properly. Run an additive and high grade fuel before storing and drain the carbs. This way, you will rarely have an issue with gummed up carbs.

Need to do a carb sync every 5,000 to 10,000 kms depending on how crisp you want the bike to run. Buy a syncronizer and watch the tutorials, very easy to do.

Gas range is 160 to 190kms per tank and that can't be changed easily. So you may or may not be able to live with that.

Balance of the bike is pretty much bullet proof and run for 160,000 kms + as long as you don't over rev the engine.

Upgrades are endless depending on your wallet and what you want the bike to be.

Have a look around the forum as there is tons of info and pics on our beloved Vmax and if in the spring/summer your still interested in the Vmax, we could meet up in the Muskokas and go for a ride.

Mike

I was hoping that a Gen 1 would be a potentially good touring bike but apparently not so :( Im sure you can travel for a while on it but its got a small tank..

It CAN be done, but it will be costly. I know, cause I have an end goal with Woona in turning her into a touring machine.

A good windshield/fairing can be fitted, but with some, it will require relocating the turn signals. It was a bit of a PITA finding clamps for the turn signal relocation, but some searching did pay off.

Carrying stuff with the Max will require a luggage rack and backrest. While I have that, I was thinking of mounting a trunk to the back rest, and finding the means to put mu current travel bag on the pillion if I decide to tour. (might as well, cause I will be traveling solo lol) I have also found some decent hard saddlebags, which will be mounted over the winter. They will not work with the stock turn signals, but they have built in turn signals, so that issue is taken care of.

With the issue of fuel range, this is gonna be the really expensive factor. One solution would be to swap out the Max motor for a Venture motor. Might as well use the venture rear while your at it. Yes, you will lose the hard hitting acceleration but it will definitely give you better fuel economy, as well as more relaxed engine speeds while cruising.

To further increase range, you will want an extended fuel tank, which will require an extended swingarm. I believe a +3" swingarm will give you room for another gallon of fuel capacity. Lastly, there are companies that make auxillary fuel tanks for this bike. My personal choice would be one that replaces the air box cover. I have seen increases between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 gallons from this.

In the end, you have to decide what you desire from the V-max.

Conversely, you can simply use it as is, for it''s intended purpose.

I bought a 1999 as a second bike to my M109R and I rode the VMax for the majority of the summer. It's a great fun bike, perfect for my 30 mile (each way) commute to/from work, and for casual riding. I did add 18" wheels, radials, I have been playing with exhaust, and I am replacing the stock headlight with one from an M109R2. Overall I like it just the way it is, as a hooligan / streetfighter. :D Also, so far, I have not had to do much to the carbs, but I fear I must re-jet for my 4 into 1 exhaust now.

There are a lot of people here who will help you to succeed with whatever you need to do with the bike. Many caring and giving people here on the site.

:rofl_200:You think a Vmax Gen II is too similar to a Triumph Rocket III! :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Sorry, I've never heard that one before, and it struck my funny bone. :biglaugh:

OMG, still lol.

I dont find it that funny! At least I didn't think it was that funny.. I guess im a joker! Lets look at the similarities. They're both huge, they're both powerful, they both sport a 240 back tire, and they're both heavy. Why have 2 bikes so similar in that department? sure the motors are different, but I doubt the Gen 2 Vmax can nearly get the mileage a rocket III can with a 25L gas tank (400KMS on a single tank on highway) Thats one of my issues, since I am becoming more and more concerned with the direction of my riding since I like to do a lot of long distance with my wife, I don't think we'd both fit comfortably on the back... Just doing my research.

Don't fear the re-jetting. The results , with the headers and 4-1 full exhaust will wake your ride up big time. S.O.B.s still scare me a bit when wide ass open . Another factor for the Gen I , is lots of custom / modding can be done , and it seems to always put a smile on my face , despite having other options to ride.

Stage 7 Carb Kit - - - - Morleys Muscle Jet Kit

Attachments

• Rollies '90 Big Blue Antique - Collectibles.jpg
    Rollies '90 Big Blue Antique - Collectibles.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Rollies '98 Vmax 10.jpg
    Rollies '98 Vmax 10.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
It's kinda funny! You are right the Rocket beats the Gen 2 VMax in the range category, but comes up short by a LOT in any performance comparison. Acceleration, handling, braking are not close.

If you are looking for long range power cruiser you are barking up the wrong bike when looking at any year Vmax. The Rocket is you best choice.

I dont find it that funny! At least I didn't think it was that funny.. I guess im a joker! Lets look at the similarities. They're both huge, they're both powerful, they both sport a 240 back tire, and they're both heavy. Why have 2 bikes so similar in that department? sure the motors are different, but I doubt the Gen 2 Vmax can nearly get the mileage a rocket III can with a 25L gas tank (400KMS on a single tank on highway) Thats one of my issues, since I am becoming more and more concerned with the direction of my riding since I like to do a lot of long distance with my wife, I don't think we'd both fit comfortably on the back... Just doing my research.

It's kinda funny! You are right the Rocket beats the Gen 2 VMax in the range category, but comes up short by a LOT in any performance comparison. Acceleration, handling, braking are not close.

If you are looking for long range power cruiser you are barking up the wrong bike when looking at any year Vmax. The Rocket is you best choice.

That's the thing I love about yamaha. They make really nice bikes. Yes you are right about the brakes and stuff, I really wish I can compare directly. I, speaking about the gen 1 bikes. Probably would make for a good commuter bike wouldn't it!

Conversely, you can simply use it as is, for it''s intended purpose.

For 99% of riders, this would be my recommendation, that or get a bike that already fits your needs.

Then you have that bat-shit crazy 1% like me, who just HAS to do things way outside the box...

If you use the Max as it was designed to be, an incredibly fun bike for shorter rides, then the max is perfect.

How about a nice condition low mileage 1989 for only $2500! Leaves room for shipping and a lot of upgrades! I can even preinstall them before we ship!

Sean

If you happen to be in the NE area(PA) in the spring, you are welcome to take both a Gen 1(85 mildly modded) and a Gen 2(Stock at the moment, but not for long :biglaugh:) for a spin to see the difference. There is a HUGE difference, but neither one would make a good long distance cruiser. I have done 2200 miles/week on both, but it's not something I'd want to try to make a living at, LOL!

I am a vintage Goldwing and Yamaha collector, most are touring bikes like two Gl1500's and three Yamaha Venture bikes, even a very low mile 2009 Star 1300 Tourer fuel injected V Twin with gobs of power but one of my most recent bikes is a running 85 Vmax, I have another but it's a long term project as the crank is busted and it sat under a tarp in Alaska for 15 years.
But anyway the running 85 is like an old Corvette that had mediocre handling and brakes but neck snapping power, and unique looks. I don't want to compare it to anything as its in its own class, it's a bit cramped compared to say a Venture or a Goldwing and unless you use saddlebags no storage at all. It's bare bones brute horsepower with its own cult, and not just any person owned one so having one is again unique, I love mine to death, it constantly wants to be unleashed or to just do its impetuous snarl at a stoplight taunting the cagers and intimidating other less endowed bikes.
By all means get one! Treat it right and it will become an investment bike, just like a stock classic corvette.

Latest posts

Back