Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After taking carbs off to clean and re jet i find 2 jet block gaskets cracked and twist ties keeping the choke from closing.
I order complete rebuild kit along with new intake manifolds and correct clamps.

welcome nice bike, some 1 no not sleeping this morning. i no who....

New member. I have been riding and building bikes for over 40 years.
Traded a 2002 buell x1 lightning (10,000 miles) for an '85 vmax with 10,000 miles and some musical instruments and cash. Was told only thing wrong with it is a leaking fork seal that just happened. At the scene he show how he starts the bike (full choke and wait 45 secs then 1/4 choke for 15 secs) i rev it up to around 4 g's. Slow coming back down and i say "it needs syncing" and he agrees.
Bluebook on the buell was $4255 and the vmax $2700.
The buell had a racing eci box and header with racing canister so another $1000 ahead in the trade. Made sure i got that in the difference on the trade.
Riding it home (88 miles) and temp goes up to the "h" so pull off the freeway and into a station for water. Fan comes on and starts to cool down. It was 110 in palm springs that day.
The first thing i do when i get home is remove the faux tank, front fender, rear fender, side covers and air horns- IT WAS GREEN.
I purchased a pro motion carb sync on ebay for $75 and wait for arrival- start to do some painting. Motion pro arrives 2 days later go to sync the carbs and #4 tube has tons of air bubbles so i go with sound. 3 more attempts and manometer fluid in sync tool will not come down. Send it back to seller on ebay as the screw on #4 will not back out. Order carbtune.
Now it starts without choke and just idles perfect. A little lean on top end so i decide to change main jets and do a complete cleaning.
This is what i find-Radiator hose for intake manifolds and 2 cracked coils.
No heat shields on the motor and exhaustClick image for larger version

Name: SANY3505[1].jpg
Views: 6
Size: 61.3 KB
ID: 46414

Click image for larger version

Name: SANY3543[1].jpg
Views: 6
Size: 49.3 KB
ID: 46415

Click image for larger version

Name: SANY3648[1].jpg
Views: 5
Size: 28.6 KB
ID: 46416

Greetings from Pennsylvania!! Been wanting to drop in and start my first post and figured tonight was a good night to do it. I don't currently have a Vmax, but back in 1985 I bought one brand new off the showroom floor. What an awesome bike it was!! I put open element K&N's on it, along with Vboost removal, Kerker 4-2-1, custom carb tuning and an MRE air shifter. I ended up selling it when I got married....DOH!!! That bike has been in my memories ever since, and although I have had other bikes since then, none have had the impact that my Vmax had on me. My friends don't mention any other bike, but they always talk about my old Vmax. Almost 30 years later and they still talk about that bike:biglaugh:

Well, the Vmax bug has bitten me again, and I have high hopes of picking up a new 2015 Gen 2 this coming year. This past week I stopped by my local showroom just to see if they had any of the new 2015's in stock. It turns out they had just rolled out their very first one that morning! SWEET bike, and I love the color!! I spent the next hour sitting on that bike, walking around it, taking pictures and telling the salesman my history with this awesome machine. I told him that almost 30 years ago I had walked into this same dealership as a 19 year old kid and bought a new '85. I then bent his ear about how much I loved the Vmax. It defines my personality in so many ways. I remember telling him that a lot of Harley owners say their bikes are the only ones that feel alive and have a soul, but if you talk to most Vmax owners, they would probably disagree:punk:

WELL did you walk out with the keys and the bike ? Welcome to the forum !!!!

No, not yet. My first step was to make sure the seating/bar position was ok for me on the Gen II. Well it it's fine so at least we got that out of the way. I'm hoping for a late Spring purchase. But it was tough walking out of there without dropping a deposit....

Welcome!............I love that line "Defines my personality"........That certainly rings true with me and probally many others here!...........:punk:...........Did you know that one of the largest gathering of Maxes happens during the Thunder In The Valley event at the end of June every year?........Days Inn in Somerset is the happening place!...............Be sure to drop in and meet/ride us!..................Tom.

No, not yet. My first step was to make sure the seating/bar position was ok for me on the Gen II. Well it it's fine so at least we got that out of the way. I'm hoping for a late Spring purchase. But it was tough walking out of there without dropping a deposit....

Took me a year to find the gen II that I wanted .. Good luck and Hopefully we'll see ya at THUNDER IN THE VALLEY !!:punk:

Hi everyone my name is Ian I'm from Glasgow in Scotland. The rock is a nickname I've had for over 35 years by others so I'm not full of myself lol. Had a vtr firestorm for 3years and got my first vmax just a week ago. I didn't realize what I was missing! I've always liked the noise of the vtwin but this is another level. It's a 96 black and I love it. Great forum guys and great info so thanks for having me. Cheers!!

Happy holidays all. I just came home with my present. ... A '95 with 25k miles. Guy who sold had already done some upkeep but I plan to be here quite often for tips. Such as how to. On inces people I'm not mad for buying it!

Happy holidays all. I just came home with my present. ... A '95 with 25k miles. Guy who sold had already done some upkeep but I plan to be here quite often for tips. Such as how to. On inces people I'm not mad for buying it!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the getting the VMax! :punk:

Hello all.

Thought I’d take the opportunity to introduce myself as I’ve been lurking and learning for about 6 month now. This is definitely the place to visit when you’re trying to figure out the intricacies of the Vmax.

I bought my 2001 max in June of last year and it had been sat in a friends shed in Louisiana for about 8 or 9 years. I had been chatting with him asking what he planned on doing with it and before I knew what was happening I heard a voice saying “I’ll buy it” and it was my voice. I always wanted a Vmax and was very close to buying the gen 2 in 2009 but somehow managed to avoid the purchase being as I had three bikes at the time. A fourth just seemed to be greedy and anyway, I didn’t have the space!

I’ve been riding since I was a teenager, so that would be 30+ years. The first 20 years was somewhat of a blur but the last 10 have been sober so I actually remember stuff. However, now I’m getting older and tend to forget stuff! Phew, how time flies when you’re enjoying yourself. Originally from Scotland, I moved to Louisiana in 1997 and then to Houston in 2003. I arrived in the US in 1997 to do a 3 week job and I just never managed to leave! I been lucky and had a few bikes, to name a few, RD 400, XJ750 Seca, GPZ900, VFR750, Ducati 916, Road Star Warrior and currently a HD Electro Glide with a Jims 120 and, of course, the Vmax.

Always been into bikes but I’ve been known more for breaking and wrecking them as opposed to fixing them. Perhaps I’m now finally growing up…………..but I doubt it!

It is unlikely that I’ll be getting into any heavy technical discussions with you experts but did want to voice my appreciation and thanks for all the knowledge here. This forum helps me tremendously and I’m sure it will continue to do so.

Thank you very much for a great forum.

Donald
Richmond TX

Hello all.

Thought I’d take the opportunity to introduce myself as I’ve been lurking and learning for about 6 month now. This is definitely the place to visit when you’re trying to figure out the intricacies of the Vmax.

I bought my 2001 max in June of last year and it had been sat in a friends shed in Louisiana for about 8 or 9 years. I had been chatting with him asking what he planned on doing with it and before I knew what was happening I heard a voice saying “I’ll buy it” and it was my voice. I always wanted a Vmax and was very close to buying the gen 2 in 2009 but somehow managed to avoid the purchase being as I had three bikes at the time. A fourth just seemed to be greedy and anyway, I didn’t have the space!

I’ve been riding since I was a teenager, so that would be 30+ years. The first 20 years was somewhat of a blur but the last 10 have been sober so I actually remember stuff. However, now I’m getting older and tend to forget stuff! Phew, how time flies when you’re enjoying yourself. Originally from Scotland, I moved to Louisiana in 1997 and then to Houston in 2003. I arrived in the US in 1997 to do a 3 week job and I just never managed to leave! I been lucky and had a few bikes, to name a few, RD 400, XJ750 Seca, GPZ900, VFR750, Ducati 916, Road Star Warrior and currently a HD Electro Glide with a Jims 120 and, of course, the Vmax.

Always been into bikes but I’ve been known more for breaking and wrecking them as opposed to fixing them. Perhaps I’m now finally growing up…………..but I doubt it!

It is unlikely that I’ll be getting into any heavy technical discussions with you experts but did want to voice my appreciation and thanks for all the knowledge here. This forum helps me tremendously and I’m sure it will continue to do so.

Thank you very much for a great forum.

Donald
Richmond TX

Troosers, welcome to the forum, and dont hesitate to ask any questions.

Hey guys, I'm not new but I have been gone for a while.I was in an accident in 2011 and I was down for a while.
I sold my bike to "captain Kyle" but I am thinking of getting another one. I had alot of old friends here and I will be chiming in here and there.
<Dave>

Back