mini speedometer / odometer?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtoebaert-5311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi! I finally decided to move the giant tach to the center of the cowl, and want to get rid of the large speedometer. I`d simply kick it out but that would leave me without the odometer, which is a bit tricky on a vmax with its huge fuel tank :rofl_200:.
So, does anyone know of a gen1 compatible tripmeter that ideally would fit in place of the small tach in the instrument panel? Could be a speedometer/odometer combination, but the trip distance is all I really care about.
Nothing to "add to the look" - something as inconspicuous as possible, just need the reading ; the giant tach fixes the "look"
thanks
David

Attachments

• move rpm.jpg
    move rpm.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 96
I had a Bicycle computer connected to my M109R for some time. It was a speedometer / odometer and records max speed, accurate up to 199 MPH. It ran about $20 as I recall. I'll try to find the make/model and post it up when I do.

OK, it was a Sigma BC800. They have other models too. I can vouch for this one, though. It uses a small magnet and a pickup coil. You program in the wheel circumference to set it up.

431191288_719.jpg

attachment.php
<-- My top speed on the M109R

I've actually thought about removing the factory tach from its location on the faux tank, fabbing a housing for it, and relocating it to the right of the speedo. Then I'd find an automotive clock and install it in the spot where the tach sat...

I'm getting ready to set up with a new gauge company. Might be willing to let the first one go at my dealer cost once I get that done. They offer the gauge to be build any way you want it. I would suggest the dual setup with the tach and speedo. The speed portion is even available as a GPS signal so perfect speed reading every time.

SpeedHut.Com is the place.

Sean

I'm getting ready to set up with a new gauge company. Might be willing to let the first one go at my dealer cost once I get that done. They offer the gauge to be build any way you want it. I would suggest the dual setup with the tach and speedo. The speed portion is even available as a GPS signal so perfect speed reading every time.

SpeedHut.Com is the place.

Sean

I find that VERY interesting!!! Where would this go? In the original speedo place like the SPA Tach/speedo?

Please keep us informed.

I put speedhut oil pressure and water temp gauges on my pod. Very good quality gauges. Even had yamaha and vmax printed on the face of the gauges. They have sales every so often. Got mine for 20% off the web pricing. Looking forward to what you are doing Sean.

Here are some crude pictures I took when I was doing it, forgive the crappy phone quality but you get the idea.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415552091.385086.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415552107.905624.jpg

Very nice gauge setup! You could fit a gear indicator in that center section!
That is good news Sean, I want to finish up my gauges as it's one of the few things I want to do to Redbone before I get a small adventure tour/ enduro type bike.

Very nice gauge setup! You could fit a gear indicator in that center section!
That is good news Sean, I want to finish up my gauges as it's one of the few things I want to do to Redbone before I get a small adventure tour/ enduro type bike.

Hmm. Interesting. Might have to try and find a suitable gear indicator to integrate in there. And here I thought I was going to slow down with the mods. Lol

I may have an indicator around here BUT it might be pretty easy to do if you wanted to get the Venture sending unit that has the positions to complete the ground for each gear (and neutral) without having to do any mods. Simply replace the stock neutral sender.

Hi Sean, I`d be interested in a speedometer/tripmeter, size fitting the hole where currently the factory tach is, would that be possible? Dial color to match existing. If that doesn`t work I think I`ll go for the bicycle stuff.

Looks like they make them in their small stuff. Not sure if the little ones have the trip meter though.
http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/GPS-Speedometers-2-1-16-inch/1:3|37:1

No, the small ones don`t seem to have the tripmeter ; I mailed them, see what happens ; anyway, if they could put something suitable together I suggest going through you so you can test co-operation? Nice site, if they are as professional as the site looks, seems like a good company to partner with.

I am not sure if I can get a chance to do the testing but if you have time and patience I can sure do it. The "GPS" versions are no brainers since it doesn't require anything driving it from the bikes current senders.

Shoot me an email and we'll see what we can sort out.

Sean

Only issue with the gps senders is if you go through a tunnel or under a bridge you will lose the signal.

The other brand we're looking at also has a digital version but not sure if it's a GPS or what it used to drive it. Plus lifetime warranty. Dakota Digitals are very nicely made though not sure what warranty (especially when used in a motorcycle application). The sending unit is sold separately for it.

Sean

Latest posts

Back