Winter plans..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
So, for a lot of us, the season's over.. Bikes stored, how's the time to think about winter projects. I'd like to get steering head bearings changed, and maybe a set of Delkevic slipons installed, money permitting... I have no plans to do anything to the Roadstar over winter. Adding the headlight relays to both bikes was a good move, specially for the Max. Some of you with the older Gen1's might want to think about it. Here's a quickie for those who are thinking of soldering the stator connections, but aren't blessed with soldering skills - Get yourself 3 Posilock connectors and use them to replace that stock connector. Really simple to do, and Posilock connectors are as good as soldered, if you install them properly. I heat shrink tube all 3 connectors, and they come out great. Easily removed to replace any compowent that may fail later.

So what ya got planned over the next 122 days till Spring?

Ho oiler kit from sean, probably get his shim kit and spring compressor, may get into my starter clutch (although it hasn't made a peep since I fixed my charging system), and a good deep cleaning. New fork oil if I have time to disassemble my triple tree to inspect the steering head bearings. I have a full extra set of tins, so maybe even change the color if I start getting cabin fever.
If my car doesn't need parts every week this year I may just get it all done. Last winter I did 2 front wheel bearings (fwd), suspension (including all bushings and joints), drive shafts, turbo actuator, alternator, inner tie rod ends, radiator, heater core and a couple other little things that slip my mind atm. Every damn week something else.

Bill makes a great point about adding relays to brighten up the lights without taxing age old wiring, I did this back in 2009 and have enjoyed great lighting ever since!
I'm not doing much save maybe for a few cosmetic upgrades this year. I have to fix a persistent leak at the driveshaft output at rear of the engine and may look at a gauge upgrade so I can have a fuel gauge and a tachometer up top.

Fabrication, fabrication, fabrication. I was supposed to pick up some industrial clay today but I my PS3 died and wasn't in the mood to do anything.

Carb rebuild, some work on my tail section, clipon mounting with all necessary fab work, cleaning, belly pan installation and if im lucky some tires for my Carrs so i can finally see what switching to radials is all about(was hoping to get an extended, braced and notched swingarm first but its getting hard to just look at mu rims sitting in their box), lol. Maybe a few other things if work hrs and luck permit, lol. Plus the normal maintenance routines.

Try to get this home addition to the point that I don't need to worry about rain or snow!

I have a torpedo heater in there trying to dry it out. You can see the whole tarp lifts up from the heat and looks like a circus tent.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416244896997.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416244896997.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 16
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416244910725.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416244910725.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
Well let's see....

Some maintenance is needed now that the bike has 45,000+ miles on it.

Rebuild front forks, new bushings, fork oil and oil seals. Change steering stem bearings too. Change brake and clutch fluid and front brake pads.

Need to get better lights for the Exactrep headlight. This is a must do, as the current lights in it are crap.

Still thinking of getting a new paint job on it too and do gauge upgrades.

Also, have some upgrades to do on my wife's Radian too.

Mike

Latest posts

Back