HOW TO: Remove/Inspect/Replace your Starter Clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did fix my starter clutch. Like others sad, removing the flywheel was harder than I thought. Sean makes it look too easy on his view :)

Regarding the bolt that holds the flywheel, it is a 12mm X 1.25

Best,

They can be a bitch to get off. I've used heat. You should whack that center puller bolt to make the puller do it's job easier. A decent size lead hammer makes this a snap. Good luck finding a lead hammer, but a soft faced heavy hammer should work almost as well. Sometimes I'll see one at a yard sale. My father in law turned me on to the lead hammer about 30 yrs. ago. The old swamp Yankee used to make them for me. You'll find many other uses for them once you get your hands on one. Whack then tighten. Just cranking away on the center bolt tends to send the broken puller bolts across the garage with some force. If the crank shaft is coming out, I've put the crank in a press. That works slick.
Steve-o

Hello to all, and THANK YOU for all the great info and detailed guides and pics! =) I am seeking HELP!!!

I just boght an '85 VMax early September, but only able to ride for about three weeks...on 05, Oct. 2016 I got off work early that morning and when attempting to leave, the bike would not start!?! I eventually push started it just to get it home and keep from walking. I had thought it may of just been being temperamental from the heavy rainfall we experienced over night, but it still would not start next day! =(

Instead, it makes an awful noise, and sounds as if something is spinning freely without an attempt to even turn over! I stopped after a couple failed attempts and made a video (will not let me upload) to keep from creating any further damage (IF possible).

Based on research (many Google searches until I joined forum to read more), I believe it to be the starter clutch!? IF that is the case, I am curious where is the best place to buy, and what all else do I need, or should consider fixing while in there!? I know many have said new bolts.

Unfortunately, it seems all of the auto stores near me said they do not have starter clutch components, or are even able to order!?! =\

When I had bought the bike I was given a receipt of nearly $2000 worth of work just a week before, including: ALL new seals and gaskets, battery, starter, carbs cleaned and jetted with new needles, shocks, tires, water pump, and some small things. It ran absolutely amazing, even on the 40min ride home from meeting the previous owner.

Feel free to text (319) 470-3271 with any thoughts and/or opinions. THANK YOU! =) Sorry for the story.
-Jacob.

THANK YOU, but I already purchased this: "ebay.com/itm/231611523125" earlier today before sunrise.

The link you directed me to mentioned buying a stator and middle gear cover gasket, as well as a crush washer...I do not wish to sound like an idiot, but pieces (ref no.) are those, and must they also be replaced? When doing so, should any type of gasket sealer be used?
Barely know any mechanics or way around tools even, but am more than willing to learn, just as I am with riding! =)

BTW when posting a video, the simplest thing is to post it on youtube, or photobucket, and post the link here.

Harbor Freight is having a big sale starting today through Sunday. For occasional use, their electric impact is ok. I'm still in air impact mode. That big shock is right there to get stuff done. Electric tools have come a long way. I have a Boch 3/8 portable impact that is decent for bike work. And a little Snap On 1/4" drive that is my go to. It's small and light. Not the most powerful, but it locks automatically, and can be used like a ratchet to break stuff free before spinning it off.

So I began attempting the disassembly after receiving/buying all the necessary parts, and have a couple concerns that I am hopeful to get some opinions on please!?

After removal of the cover I see what I assume is a guard, and it appears to be damaged!?! 8O
I still continued with removal of the flywheel bolt, and also cam across a flat piece that I fear is broken or sheared, despite not finding any traces of the piece!?

I attached a pic to highlight areas of concern.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20161029_173605.jpg
    20161029_173605.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 30
So I began attempting the disassembly after receiving/buying all the necessary parts, and have a couple concerns that I am hopeful to get some opinions on please!?

After removal of the cover I see what I assume is a guard, and it appears to be damaged!?! 8O
I still continued with removal of the flywheel bolt, and also cam across a flat piece that I fear is broken or sheared, despite not finding any traces of the piece!?

Thank you!

That is an oil separator #10 on this guide.
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50044025f8700209bc78e3f1/generator

It is supposed to look like the photo i attached.
It also looks likes someone has tried to remove the rotor assembly with a large hammer.That piece is in there attached to the magnet or in the bottom of the pan.

Attachments

• stcltch.jpg
    stcltch.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 22
I used this guide to do pull my flywheel and replace my Starter clutch and it went Great.
I used a different puller though.
I borrowed the AutoZone OEM/Harmonic balancer puller kit (Part Number: 27019)
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool.../oem-harmonic-balancer-puller-kit/555524_0_0/
attachment.php

And bought 3 - 8mm x 1.25 x 110 mm class 10.9 bolts (stronger than grade 8) from Advance Auto:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...85110/9060219-P?searchTerm=dorman+8mm++x+1.25
And bought washers to match from Lowes.
attachment.php

I did tie my flywheel puller to my crash guard and frame as advised by a post I saw on this forum.
And I'm glad I did, my flywheel literally jumped off my bike and would have flown across the garage if it wasn't tied to the bike.
attachment.php

No compressor or Impact Wrench was needed.
I put a 1/2" ratchet on it with a 2' foot pipe for a cheater and slowly turned it then tapped it with a 3 lb. hammer, then turned it ,then tapped, then turned again.
And then the SHOTGUN went off !!! It popped off with a lot of force and a Huge Bang.

And I bought this Ideal Engine Parts 6 roller HD starter clutch for $69.99 with new bolts included:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-...2-1982-2007-/381785581545?hash=item58e431a7e9
NOTE: The Bolts included with this HD starter clutch were too short to be properly peened.
Be sure to use OEM Bolts instead.
91317-08014-00

I bought the stator and middle gear cover gaskets and crush washer from Ron Ayers:
http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/500442faf8700209bc78ee32/crankcase-cover-1

attachment.php

How did that puller get turned around between photo 6 & 7?

Like this:

Attachments

• DSCF5528.jpg
    DSCF5528.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF5529.jpg
    DSCF5529.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 38
If you look at the 2 pictures of the starter clutch and puller above in the second picture the puller is reversed and the flat side is now out. The first picture the flat side is on the inside.

THANK YOU for info. Should I be concerned with replacing separator? Also, is there an easy way to replace the part for the flywheel bolt, or would it be fine to leave as is!?

I have chose an awful wkend to attempt this fix, as my parts store already had both pullers rented out, have been called into work almost everytime I open garage door to start wrenching, but I have had some success.

I just managed to fabricate and put something together to pull flywheel with big thanks to brother in law, but fear I have discovered a HUGE issue!?!
After popping off the flywheel (THANKS for all the advice and warnings to pad area around me and zip tie gear to flywheel, as I used pillows and more than grateful I did), I discovered what looked to be a sheared piece before, now seems to be a broken chunk and would really like opinions as to what I should do!?!

Is this bike due for it burial, or can it be fixed/repaired/replaced at a decent cost and not too difficult to do!? It did run great for month before starting problem, and am bother to see it like this knowing I have a receipt for $2000 worth of work when gone through...why would this not be mentioned or given more attention!?

Will attach pic to show what I see.

Attachments

• 20161030_132430.jpg
    20161030_132430.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 46
Okay, so despite what appeared to be damage, I did reassemble and took it for a ride, started without hesitation and could not stop smiling!!!

However, upon returning home my wife showed up and wanted a ride, and when I attempted to start this time, it made a very noticeable knock before starting...my mind was on that knock the whole time we rode, and I did not hear any knocking or concerning noises while riding, but after stopping to get gas and start it again, it made the knock again!?!

Anyone have any suggestions? Hoping all is well, and I am not looking at a bigger problem here... especially since we rode it after hearing it! =\

Thank you!
email Sean Morley ([email protected]) and show him that pic.
IFRC that is just a guide/guard and can be bent back into shape, But he is MUCH more familiar with the interior of a Vmax motor and will know for sure what is possible/necessary.

Check on Boats.net. They have parts diagrams for these engines. It looks to me that the part is called an oil separator. Jan gave you good advice. I'd replace that part. It's a bit too close to a rapidly spinning flywheel to take a chance on it cracking or something..

THANK YOU, but I already purchased this: "ebay.com/itm/231611523125" earlier today before sunrise.

The link you directed me to mentioned buying a stator and middle gear cover gasket, as well as a crush washer...I do not wish to sound like an idiot, but pieces (ref no.) are those, and must they also be replaced? When doing so, should any type of gasket sealer be used?
Barely know any mechanics or way around tools even, but am more than willing to learn, just as I am with riding! =)

If you had this all apart to replace the starter clutch, in my honest opinion, you should have bought the upgrade. They sell a heavy duty one for $30 more.

https://www.ebay.com/i/381316412272

Well worth the money, unless you have deeper pockets and can go with the really good one offered by a member on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back