Gixxer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
Off topic fellas but I have this real cocky guy at work who insists that the 2009 GSX1100 Suzuki has a handlebar controlled system that allows the bike to be switched from four cylinders firing and the progressively from three cylinders and then just two, (essentially a 750 triple or a 500 twin at the mere flick of a switch) I'm calling complete bullshit but I have to confess that I like my gun loaded with information before I verbally fire back and I'm not familiar with the 2000 era GSX. Any information on this subject would be appreciated

Chris.

Off topic fellas but I have this real cocky guy at work who insists that the 2009 GSX1100 Suzuki has a handlebar controlled system that allows the bike to be switched from four cylinders firing and the progressively from three cylinders and then just two, (essentially a 750 triple or a 500 twin at the mere flick of a switch) I'm calling complete bullshit but I have to confess that I like my gun loaded with information before I verbally fire back and I'm not familiar with the 2000 era GSX. Any information on this subject would be appreciated

Chris.

Never heard of anything like that on any bike. Why would you even want to do that? An economy mode on a performance bike? :ummm: Bike would run like hell. I think he's probably pulling your leg.

You can tell him a 2009 VMax will walk away from his bike just to aggravate him. It will, I know first hand. ;)

If it's an 09....I'm pretty sure it's a 1000 BTW. I think they stopped making the 1100 in 2008.

They have an A,B and C mode selector switch. It dosent shut off cylinders though. A would be full power, B is slightly detuned and C is more detuned than B. They did this for a couple of reasons, one being to help new riders step right to a literbike and switch power modes as skills increase, another being having the ability to detune the bike if you get caught in the rain or are on some other less than ideal surface, itll be harder to give too much throtttle and get into trouble. Personally i think the switch is stupid, your right hand is all the detuning you need!

That would not kill cylinders though, I am sure it's just changing timing to decrease the power. Might even have something to do with the exup type exhaust restrictor valve too. Would need to research that a bit more.

Tell him it downloads an ignition curve and other electronic 'instructions' via satellite from Japan and it doesn't cut any cylinders, but that as Sean said, it has a different ignition curve, plus other proprietary methods to limit HP output. Let him try to find that out!

Chris.

Gun away you already know more about the bike than the guy that owns it! Here's a shot from the owners manual. It just "detunes", it doesn't drop out cylinders.

Attachments

• drive mode selector switch.jpg
    drive mode selector switch.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 32
I know a couple different automotive companies offered engines that actually did cut out cylinders (Chrysler and Caddilac, I believe) but I would think that if this was something that actually worked any decent, they would offer it in a lot more vehicles.

I say the guy knows about the switch, but actually has no clue how it does the job...

Ah the Caddy V4-6-8, a design best forgotten as an example of early cyl deactivation to seek better fuel economy. Borne of the same thought as the Cadillac Cimarron, a Chevy Cavalier at near-double the price. The quest for alternatives which landed far from the best in class.

If your riding skills are good you will take him in a straight line. In the curves if the rider can ride a gsxr 600 will walk away from you. the only engine cyl shut down that i know of is a truck and maybe a car. my dodge hami 5.7 has it and you have to drive it right so it will kick in.

1998 was the last year of the GSXR 1100. It was replaced by the awesome GSXR1000 but after a few years, not until 2001 did the mighty 1000 come out. The 1000 weighed as much as a 750 back then with a ton more power!

And power modes? I don't have that on my ZX and I ve ridden that in the pouring hard ass rain at 90 mph on the highway with no issues. But give it some juice and it will get squirely on you. But again its about throttle control. But honestly on a wild animal like the Gen 2 ZX, traction control ( not power selection ) is awesome. I watched a guy on a bone stock Gen 2 ZX14 with very little drag strip knowledge run a 9.97 to my 9.90 and he just simply dropped the throttle and held on the whole way. How much fun would that be? When you don't want to have traction control on.... just turn it off for more fun. But it would be nice to exit a turn under power without the rear sliding around and smoking the tire up lol.

Todd

Thanks for all the replies folks. Yesterday turned out quite nice here in the Ozarks so I decided to brave the sub 50 temperature and ride the the Max to work to show the kid what "A Cruiser" (his words) was all about. Dropped jaw would be an understatement lol. All his tire kicking bravado evaporated when I rolled onto the job site and he could actually see first hand what the legend of the V-Max was all about and damn it, the bike made feel proud glowing in the Missouri sun all day long :) Not to shabby for a twenty plus year old design and it's fifty plus year old owner !!!!!!

Chris.

The GSXR 1000 has a manufactures power commander that has 3 programmed maps on, changes fuelling rates and Air mixtures ect it dose not drop cylinders. My friend had a k6 with this on he never used it.

Ah the Caddy V4-6-8, a design best forgotten as an example of early cyl deactivation to seek better fuel economy. Borne of the same thought as the Cadillac Cimarron, a Chevy Cavalier at near-double the price. The quest for alternatives which landed far from the best in class.

Believe it or not, GM, in it's infinite wisdom, brought this concept back to life in 2007 with something called "Active Fuel Management", or AFM for short. Was used on alot of full size Silverados and Suburbans, basically any 5.3L motor from 2007 to 2011. Well, as it turns out, it wasn't such a great idea. Something to do with the effect of the "cooling" on the non-running cylinders, caused many of these engines to burn oil BADLY, and resulted in more than a few grenading. My 2009 started burning oil right around 100K miles, and even though Chevy never recalled them, they have a "fix" that involves replacing the rings, but only if you can PROVE your vehicle is burning oil, and of course, only if it's still within warranty. Mine was not when I found out, and it was burning about 3 quarts every 5K miles. It now has about 120K on it, and I'm going to drive it until it blows up! I found by changing to 20w-50 oil, it's now burning much less, about a quart every 5K miles. There was a class-action lawsuit against GM for not doing a better job of fixing this mess, but I'm not sure it even went to court. This will probably be my LAST GM vehicle because of this, and I have been buying GM's my entire life. There's tons of information on this problem if you Google it, in case you have one of the effected vehicles and want to read about it, all kinds of horror stories about how GM has gone out of it's way to avoid making good on such a SERIOUS design flaw! BASTAGES!!!!!

Here's one of several threads about it: http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/chevy-gmc-afm-oil-consumption/

After reading what you had to say about cyclinder shut down TT im glad i leased it for 2 years. I hope it dont happen to the dodge because if you keep your eye's open you will see them everywhere.

I've been the owner of a 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T and there have been "0" problems with the motor---other than a couple of speeding tickets:biglaugh: Because of the mods I've done to the motor ---- the cylinder deactivation makes a just noticable noise when crusing( with the stereo OFF.)

Lew

Back