Repack exhaust?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8898

Reaction score

Attachments

• New Vmax 002.jpg
    New Vmax 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 50
Cycle Gear carries pretty good stuff too.... If you happen to have a store around you...

I bought mine from summit I think, the regular fiberglass. Made a big difference in sound.
Theres a ton of how to's on the Internet.

Well, the non-race baffle makes the bike sound neutered. :( I'll try the race baffle with packing this evening.

The packing I have is too thick for the race baffle - I cannot get it back into the can. I guess I will try the stuff for 2-strokes if it's thinner.

I ran the standard baffle with packing yesterday. Not only is it very quiet, it's down on power. Theres an uphill right hand turn near my work where I usually open her wide up from low RPMs in first and she typically breaks free with the stock exhaust and supertrapps. This did not occur yesterday with the Kerker and the packed standard baffle. It's a noticeable loss of power in my opinion.

I am going to get this kind of packing material and try to pack the race baffle next week to see what happens and how she runs. It looks as if I can run a thin layer with this stuff. If I am unable to, or it's still horribly loud, I may return to the stock headers and supertrapps. They sounded great and gave me decent performance. I assumed that the Kerker 4 into 1 would give me better performance. So far it's not looking that way.

ImageHandler.ashx

That looks quite similar to the stuff by FMF which I can pick up locally. I'll try the FMF first (It's only $10 and change) and if I am still dissatisfied I may order this stuff from Amazon.

Thank you for the input!

Also, just changing to a full exhaust like your 4/2/1 should be accompanied by a little carb changing. Supertrapps on stock carbs should run just fine but the Kerker breathes a little better and may be enough of a mismatch to the carb set up that precludes getting the performance you are wanting.

I agree with the carb tuning fully Patmax, but I did not think that I would LOSE power. I presumed that it just would not gain as much as possible.

I agree with the carb tuning fully Patmax, but I did not think that I would LOSE power. I presumed that it just would not gain as much as possible.

Here was my stock jetting, stock head pipes....and kerker slip-ons. yep..I was running a bit rich.

Attachments

• Scan0001.pdf
    318.3 KB · Views: 8
I got some packing in around the race header with the new loose stuff I picked up. It's quieter, but I won't know if it's tolerable until I ride it, probably next Monday. It does not have the very hollow metallic/raspy sound it did without the packing.

Well, I rode to work this morning. Although it's still loud, the packing made a huge difference. It's tolerably loud now. I wish I had made a recording beforehand so I could post a comparison, but I didn't.

If you have a Kerker and the race baffle is just too loud, I would encourage you to try the loose packing. I like the way it sounds now, it's loud, but not brutally so. It's also a totally different sound from the stock headers with the SuperTrapps. I like both, but if this gives me better performance once I tune the carbs I think I will stick with this setup.

Latest posts

Back