VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading one of my many moto-magazines and there was a question on what to do when a replacement slide was not available. The first option was replacement rubbers which most of you are already familiar with. The second option was to use Loctite roofing sealant. It sounds like others have used this and it works great. It sticks to rubber and remains flexible. There's the added bonus where it's pretty much impervious to fuel including ethanol.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl...-S30-Polyurethane-Roof-&-Flashing-Sealant.htm

Mark (Jeff)

That is excellent information. Replacing slides and/or rubber just sounds spendy and we know these parts arent going to become more common as time goes by. I'm preparing to dig into my Venture and I almost expect the nearly 30 year old diaphragms to have something going on.

I pasted that info to my master Vmax file. Thank you suh!

One tube of that stuff would be enough to do a reseal on everyones diaphragms.... I assume you just lightly rub a bit on the offending area of the diaphragm? How flexible is the stuff? I've got some 25 year old diaphragms in my carbs, I'm afraid to go in there to have a look! I'll be sure to have a tube of this stuff handy when I do..

Bill, I haven't tried yet. My originals on my 99 are still in great shape. It can't hurt to try and would work on coasting enrichener diaphragms too. The magazine tech said it is pliable/rubbery and fuel does not break it down.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Has anyone here tried this Loctite PL S30? Anything else that is known to work well?

I did just get into my Venture and as I suspected there are some pinholes in 3 out of 4 of the diaphragms and I'm not looking to replace them.

Thanks.

Edit: I have read that Elmers Probond might work also, anyone try that out? I'm going to pick up an 85 parts Vmax tonight but the carbs are the reason it's being sold so not counting on good spares there.

Edit again: I got the Permatex PL S30, it feels like its going to work, definately sticky stuff, but just a heads up to anyone fixin' to use it. This shit takes like a week to cure. I wont be assembling the carbs for a few more days.

Last edited:
Nrp carbs and diaphragms sells the vmax diaphragms cheap they are in the uk.
Hope this is helpful.

Nrp carbs and diaphragms sells the vmax diaphragms cheap they are in the uk.
Hope this is helpful.

That may be indeed. I see a couple sources stateside here but prices are absurd. If this fix fails in any way I'll be replacing all 4. It looks like the have them for just under $50 before shipping.

Edit: I got in touch with him through ebay, if its the same UK based guy and I think it is, all 4 shipped for $99. Also heard from a ventur rider that hes a decent guy and the diaphragms are very nice quality, he makes them himself so its not Chinese junk. My patch job seems to have worked, time will reveal how well but Im planning on picking up a set of these in the coming months regardless.

Last edited:
Back