running on 3 cylinders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to youtube and look up how to check the resistance on the coils- it should be 5.2 and higher.

Thanks Blaxmax, I've managed to do all of the work on my bike myself but I'm not even close to a mechanic and I don't understand much about resistance. I didn't know where to go to check this which is a bit embarrassing to admit. My question would be, if I find low resistance at the coil and it swaps around, what causes it? The coils or the electronic ignition control that sends the signal??? I'm thinking the if I get the Ignitech CDI box with the vboost controller from Sean Morley that this might fix the problem but I'm grasping here.

Matt

Try calling Sean up tomorrow. I believe he may have a loaner part program that could be useful in troubleshooting this stuff. If not... I digress. :p

O.k. The ohms reading on the input side of my coils is 3.9-4.3 and through the plug side(secondary) is in the 14000 range. From what I can find in the service manual it should be 2.45-3.00 and on the secondary 11000-15000. If all of the coils are higher than this, what might that mean and does it really matter? Baxmax, it seems that the 5.2 or higher that you have stated is a bit higher than mine are or the service manual calls for. have I read the manual incorrectly or do you know this to be the normal or better number?

Matt

Latest posts

Back