Vapor Locked???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJimi

Reaction score
Hello to all, I have had a problem twice now where it didn't want to start, turned over but never fired off, I found last time I opened the gas cap to check the level of gas and tried it and it fired off, this time I opened the gas cap and again it fired off after I let the pressure out of the gas tank, anyone else have this issue and a fix for it? Vent tube?

Thanks
Jim

I believe that means the vent is clogged.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Check the tip over saftey valve in the vent tube, on the front of the battery box. My Vmax was a barn find, with 1/2 a tank of 4 year e-10. My original vent valve was clogged, and the one that came with my nice clean used tank was also clogged. The 3rd one I got from Morley's, was fine.

Also check for mud wasp's nest in the end of the vent tube. I had this problem once when a mud dauber plugged the coolant tank overflow on my old Shadow 1100, causing the coolant tank to leak a 6"puddle after every ride.
I was dreading changing the coolant tank for it is absolutly the hardest thing to remove from an 1100 Shadow, gotta pull the swingarm and a lotta stuff to get to it. Luckily the day I was going to change it, I decided to probe a wire up the tube and found the blockage.

I also had an issue once with the steel vent tube inside the Vmax tank becoming clogged. It goes inside to the bottom of the tank and makes a turn near the bottom. I.used a bicycle brake cable with soldered end to punch out the tube succesfuly.

To check the tank internal vent pipe, with the cap off, use a piece of hose and you should be able to blow on it and hear plenty bubbles in the fuel. tank. If tank ir near full, it will be sorta hard to blow at first.

Thank you all, I was thinking a vent problem myself but haven't look yet, I will check the tube and tank tube, also had no idea there was tip over safety in the vent tube, thanks

Thank you all, I was thinking a vent problem myself but haven't look yet, I will check the tube and tank tube, also had no idea there was tip over safety in the vent tube, thanks��

Have you done anything else before this- sometimes that vent tube get melted or gets pinched and this will be your reason for pressure in the gas tank.

Well had some trouble starting her:bang head::ummm::confused2: again this weekend, I released the pressure in the tank and she fired right up, so I checked the vent tube, was able to blow into the tank and out the tube, could the gas cap be bad? Anyone else have this problem?

I also had an issue once with the steel vent tube inside the Vmax tank becoming clogged. It goes inside to the bottom of the tank and makes a turn near the bottom. I.used a bicycle brake cable with soldered end to punch out the tube succesfuly.

To check the tank internal vent pipe, with the cap off, use a piece of hose and you should be able to blow on it and hear plenty bubbles in the fuel. tank. If tank ir near full, it will be sorta hard to blow at first.

Also looked for the steel vent tube inside the tank could not find it, I think it just vents near the top of my tank?

Well had some trouble starting her:bang head::ummm::confused2: again this weekend, I released the pressure in the tank and she fired right up, so I checked the vent tube, was able to blow into the tank and out the tube, could the gas cap be bad? Anyone else have this problem?

I don't believe it's pressure but a vacuum. Try taking the vent line off at the top of the tank & just put a short piece of hose on so no gas can come out. See if it stops making a vacuum.

Back