Trippy Vboost?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobrules

Reaction score
I have an 86 with an 01 motor. Sometimes shifting to 2nd I get neutral or it pops out of gear, I think thats just me shifting. Is that a common problem? Also when in 2nd gear my vboost seems to kick in and out randomly at various RPMs, sometimes feels harsh on the drivetrain. Only in 2nd gear. Anyone else experience these problems? If so what can I do to fix it?

It is somewhat common to have a bad 2nd gear.

Shift bike fully into 2nd gear. Ride around easy for a bit. Then hammer the throttle and see what happens.

I'm thinking your v boost is ok and 2nd gear is thrashed. When your are getting on it, the gear is slipping, not a boost problem....

Just a guess. Hope I'm wrong cause it's not a cheap fix

I did as you suggested, If I get right on it in 2nd it doesnt slip. If I go real easy or normal it doesnt do it either . Only when I get on it a little bit more than normal . But when it happens it does fell like slipping. Kind of sucks.

I did as you suggested, If I get right on it in 2nd it doesnt slip. If I go real easy or normal it doesnt do it either . Only when I get on it a little bit more than normal . But when it happens it does fell like slipping. Kind of sucks.

Your 2nd gear is going out and it is not your vboost- I read somewhere that the gear will last longer of course of you don't shift hard-Try holding it up with your foot after you shift and it will not pop out.

Options are to deal with it by riding gingerly in 2nd gear and short shifting, or pull the motor and call Sean Morley and be prepared to drop $1K + on parts to fix it.

2nd gear is known to go bad in the older maxes. Mine went at 26k. I used to skip 2nd gear when putting around when it did it 1 out of 5 times. Unfortunately, you have to pull the motor and get it replaced. I replaced the shift cam, shift fork, mating gear and gears 1 thru 4 while it was apart. That was many years ago and I'm at 46k now with no problems. Took my master Yamaha mechanic about 5-6 hours total. I think the parts were about $300-$400 if remember right. It sucks, but common. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back