What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Traumahawk. I am actually doing a slightly different rear upgrade. I am going to a 298mm rear (to match the front) and an R1 caliper. I am currently waiting on the new brake stay to be machined but have everything else (attached photo). Hopefully, this makes the rear brake a little less wooden. Thanks again.
View attachment 51423

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 On the R-1 for the rear . All you need and looks good in Blue as well. Gold are available too.

I put Redbone away for the season in my sisters basement, it's a small area so working on it isn't much better than working in my MC trailer. But I cannot complain it is heated and if I'm putting in a long work session my sister will usually whip up a nice snack or dinner! :punk:
I run a R1 caliper on the rear and use HH pads which works great on the 280 mm wavy rotor. Previously I ran a 298 mm wavy rotor with the stock caliper, again with Hh pads.
I felt that either setup has been a progressive setup in that it would only lock up on very hard application of the pedal, never felt touchy or that it over powered the traction of the rear wheel. With the extended SA and wide sticky Shinko rear rubber it really helps the front brakes in whoa'n up Redbone when needed.

Started thinking about more monkey business to keep me busy over winter... Hayabusa brakes maybe.

Rode it to work last night and then home this morning. 50 degrees, still to warm to put it up. Waiting on the snowboard gloves to do some winter riding, the wife's lab ate one of my old ones. Cranked it up one morning to take it to work, took off down the street and it was running on three cylinders. Brought it home, one of the plug wires had shorted out on the frame but I could not hear the ticking until I took of the seat . Might be time to get some new wires.

Ok. What say you: can I leave these 6-pot Sumitomos blue or do they need to be stripped down and re-powder coated black, silver, pink?

I bought them this color.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449293383.276450.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449293410.608511.jpg

Looks a bit out of place to me but, it's not my bike to pass judgment.

Unless you really want to tear them apart to PC them, I'd consider VHT caliper paint. I used it on my rotor carriers and it has held up great.

Yup. Going with black PC. My wife said the blue has to go...since she approves my budget...black it is.

"Off with your head!!!"

I just pulled my forks off to rebuild with the Progressive springs and new OEM seals I brought back from the U.S.

I could probably manage to do the work myself, but there's a good Hungarian motorcycle mechanic just down the street. Last time, he rebuilt my FJ1200 forks for the equivalent of about $40. At that price, it's not worth my time.

DSC_0003_zpsg88fknux.jpg

Nice unicycle!:rofl_200:

Yes, at those prices, go spend time w/the family or do some other fun activity if you're not a family guy yet.

Got my one of my Holeshots opened up for repacking. Only had about 3" left of full thickness packing, the rest was 1/4" or less. Ill say this, Dale Walker uses some pretty serious packing!

Just pulled both Front and Rear wheels off to take to the shop Monday AM to put my new tires on. Don't want to wait till spring, when everyone is tying up the bike shop..

What tires are you installing ?
Shinko 230 Tour Master Blackwall 120/90V1 Front
Shinko 230 Tour Master Blackwall 170/80V-15 Rear

Late last week, I installed the R1 Calipers, stainless steel brake lines, and an XJR master cylinder. I went with the two individual brake lines, with each going straight to the M/C.

Pros:
1. Aluminum remote reservoir looks cool
2. 4 position adjustable lever

Cons:
1. Even with speed bleeders and a Mity Vac pump, bleeding took a lot longer than other times I've done a full upgrade. Not sure why.
2. Once bled well, the system works well, stopping does seem better than stock, but I was really hoping for a firmer feel. The lever has quite a bit more travel than I'd like, requiring the adjuster to be set on 4 ( farthest back setting). I'll mess with it a while and if I can't improve the feel, I'll probably try another M/C, maybe from an R1?

Opinions welcome!

This weekend I rode around a bit, testing the brakes and riding some curves, and although I don't consider myself an aggressive rider, I managed to touch the sidestand mount to the ground. I laughed a bit after saying Oh SH _ _! Didn't even THINK that I'd be dragging hard parts at that speed!! But I did notice that my 180 tire doesn't have much chicken strip left now that it's lowered!

So Sunday (gorgeous day, no clouds, about 83 degrees) I made another trip to the Rock Store, taking the long way down Mulholland to and from. I have no idea how far the exhaust sound goes out in the mountains, but knowing how many black & whites I have seen on previous rides, I keep the revs down as much as possible. So far, none of the 5 or 6 CHP officers or Sheriff's deputies have even looked at me when cruising past them (gotta thank the Harley open pipe guys for that I guess). But it seemed EVERYBODY was looking when I pulled in to the Rock Store, after decelerating with a blip on each downshift. Harley guys, Ducati guys, even the Adventure Tour guys came over and were checking it out. Most didn't know what it was, but a few smiled a big, knowing smile. And there's always a few that follow me over to listen to the startup when leaving. In a lot that usually has at least 5 or 6 megabucks bike, it's cool to see people freak on the sound.

Kerker 4-2-1 full exhaust: about $1100
Competition baffle: less than $200
Gas to the Rock Store: about 50-70 cents
The look on people's faces upon hearing it: Priceless!

Back