Riding Difference, Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Curious to hear from members that have owned both generations, give us your take on how the ride is different. If we were to test ride a gen 2, what should we expect?

Massive Power. Massive Torque. Smooth.... I have owned a Gen 1 1200cc, 1260cc and 1500cc Tourmaster. My 2009 Gen 2 smoked them all.

rick rasj

Massive Power. Massive Torque. Smooth....

rick rash

Completely agree with you Rick. I've only had my Gen2 for a couple weeks but my Gen1 for 5 yrs .... it's all that and accelleration too ! And there's plenty of upgrades that can be done to make all these descripters even better ! :punk:

Handles very well for a heavy bike...
Compared to a sport bike, it feels heavy, but with a good rider the sport bike crowd would not leave you behind. Compared to ANY other "cruiser" it handles like a dream.
Very stable in the turn once you get it there, It requires a bit more input force to get it down than say a GSXR, bbut once there it just sits until you tell it to do something else. The stock 200 is obviously better feeling than the 240 but the handling I would say is about the same. But if you start modding the ol gurl than you will need the 240 for traction. I still can light up the 240 anytime in 1st and 2nd....

The difference between Gen1 and Gen2... We got lot's of them around, but I didn't drive the 2009 yet, nevertheless I know it's by far the better bike...

...but when I look at Gen1 I feel an emotion that smokes the 2009... :th_rockon:

Expected greater speed and torque and weight. But what about the weight? It is more massive than gen 1. If you are not careful and it leans to one side, might you not have enough strength to pull it up? That happened to me on my gen 1 the other day. Was parking and it leaned over too much to the left. Thought I was gonna loose it but it stopped and I righted it.

What about that weight? Is it a lot to handle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l0yTYFQrZI

Watch the Gen 1 get the holeshot on the Gen 2, and notice how the Gen 2 eats the Gen 1's lunch anyway.

Difference: you gotta hold on tighter on the Gen 2.

Those of us who were around & remember when the VMax debuted in 1985 will get just what an awesome display of acceleration this is. In 1985, there was nothing on 2 wheels or four at ANY price that rolled off a showroom floor that could do this to the then-new VMax.

Add to that better brakes & handling despite higher weight, and you've got 2 very different animals.

Only things that stopped me on my quest for a Gen II. It's like riding a Clydesdale Horse,,, Wide... Really Wide.. And, Mary can't get on the back seat where she's comfortable. It's made for a younger chicky for sure....:rofl_200:Gen II acceleration is almost unbelievable, like a Jet Fighter on After Burner...

Its more comfy on the way to the drags....................and runs a full second quicker! and I think if I tried to take some of the corners on my gen I as fast as I can on the gen II.........bad things would happen, but I had to gain the confidence in the gen II , I didnt think it would lean as much as it does and stick!

Hey! That's me on the gen1 in that video! Taken at rocky mountain raceway in slc. I dunno if its just me but I find on the " holeshot" there is almost nothing that beats the gen 1. I've ridden both and have found I strongly prefer the first gen. It just seems to have more heart. Also, the gen 2 was just too big for me. I was going to buy one but found it didn't fit my small stature nearly as well as the gen 1 so I'm in the process of dumping the money I woulda spent on a gen 2 into my gen1

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk.

I haven't road a jen2 yet.But it's the only 680 pound factory production bike I know of that will get into the 10's with a 200 pound rider. Thats phenomenal !!..........>But I like the look's of a jen 1 a little better.IMHO:biglaugh:

I am gonna stay with my new 2005 Anniversary Edition, #502. Guess I am a romantic.

Gen 2 is a huge pig. A crazy fast pig, sure, but 700 pounds of fast. When motorcycles get that big, they get cartoonish, and the Gen 2 is a bit cartoonish. A B-King will walk it in the 1/4, stock for stock, so it's mostly about carrying the biggest stick rather than the baddest.

I only rode a gen 2 briefly but here's my take, hellish torque and once your moving it is very controllable and feels very easy to ride but at slower speeds you really feel the weight... It feels really topheavy when your rolling slow so I prefer a gen 1 there but the power is impressive. Overall I really don't think I'll ever buy one, they are nice but for the kind of scratch it takes to own one I can build my gen 1 to be pretty damn nasty, and I don't like the idea of having even less range on a tank of gas than what I do now. All in what you like I guess....

I'm now on my 3rd Gen 1 vmax. I up-graded all of them for different reasons. The
Gen 2 just doesn't get it for me....too big, too heavy and the look doesn't appeal to me
either. I've tried to change my feeling about these things since the 2009 model came
out, but no can do. Currently, the 2005 Gen 1 I have has been heavily up-dated and
will run with any stock Gen 2 i've played with. 1500cc's..190 HP..and over 100 lb. less
weight....now you have to spend tons of $$$$ to get there this way, but if you want
a custom show/go bike....let's face it, the Gen 2 is not winning any beauty contests.

I had a 2004 sold it, and bought a 2010. I agree with much all the Gen 2 owners say about them, but no one has mentioned the superior braking the Gen2 has to the Gen1. It gives me great confidence when I'm street fighting because I know I can stop quickly if necessary. Turning is amazing, in a left turn, I sometimes lean it far enough to catch the kickstand and it's just solid. The gas mileage of the Gen2 sucks, especially after the Nash Flash, but what I gained in performance from the reflash is worth 20mpg. The Gen2 has superior torque over the Gen1, as long as the rpm's are 3700 or higher, there is no need to downshift to gain speed when passing on the highway. Acceleration curves for the two bikes are noticeably different. The Gen 2 acceleration curve is more linear of the two, even after 6000 rpm when the velecity stacks split. Any Gen 1 owner knows that at 6000 rpm, after V-boost servo does it's thing, the acceleration feels more like the lighting of an afterburner and is far from lineal, which I actually fine more fun. The last thing, and I've said this before, is the difference between the exhaust note. For whatever reason, I've heard lots of both bikes running with different exhausts, and it seems like the Gen 1's have the deepest sound despite having smaller engines. My biggest miss from the Gen1 to the Gen 2 is that really cool uneven loping sound the Gen 1 makes at idle. I used to love the looks i would get from muscle guys at stop lights when we were waiting for the light to turn red. Lastly, if any of you Gen 1 guys are thinking of changing, try to find a good deal on used Gen2. Mine has 26000 miles on it and engine is just as quiet as if it's newer, they seem to hold up pretty well.

Well said john...the brakes and handling are nice upgrade . The sound is lacking in the gen 2....need that cammed up low rubble idle like a well piped and tuned gen 1....
Guess muffler packing needs to be minimized lol

Latest posts

Back