Riding Difference, Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For about a year I had a 2009 and a 1998. In that time I put about 5000 miles on the 2009 and about double that on the 1998. The fact was when I wanted to go for a ride, I chose to take the 98 more often than not. While all the praise about the second generation is positively true (stops, turns and accelerates better), the second generation misses the mark on the sound, style and range.

The other consideration is that even though the new bike does perform better then the original, the handling and braking aren't even on the same planet as any current standard or naked bike let alone a true performance machine. The acceleration on the other hand is truly awe inspiring.

Bottom line is that if you're looking for a ride to go short distances or take to the drag strip, you can't beat a second generation. But for sheer riding enjoyment, I'll pick the original any day.

I will first say that I do have a gen 1.But I am sure with the technology available today compared to 85 plus what I have heard from gen 2 owners that the gen 2 is a superior bike in many ways.IMO it boils down to personal preference due mostly to styling. The styling of the gen 2 is really bold and not for everyone.Some see it as a naked crotch rocket.Myself,I like more of cruiser style with a more relaxed sitting position.I will wait for the GEN 3.

Hummmm...... I beg to differ :)

I'm now on my 3rd Gen 1 vmax. I up-graded all of them for different reasons. The
Gen 2 just doesn't get it for me....too big, too heavy and the look doesn't appeal to me
either. I've tried to change my feeling about these things since the 2009 model came
out, but no can do. Currently, the 2005 Gen 1 I have has been heavily up-dated and
will run with any stock Gen 2 i've played with. 1500cc's..190 HP..and over 100 lb. less
weight....now you have to spend tons of $$$$ to get there this way, but if you want
a custom show/go bike....let's face it, the Gen 2 is not winning any beauty contests.

Attachments

• 07%20CIRCUS%20VMAXIMUS%20Juli%202016.jpg
    07%20CIRCUS%20VMAXIMUS%20Juli%202016.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 50
I don't know I think mine sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmiNnBKa85wn

But this one sounds even betterer!!:worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQvl-OBqms

And it's a BIG bike so I would not call it real flickable through tight switchbacks.......but it will go around any other kind of corner much better (rock solid) than anything in it's class (no comparison actually).

8177e69c1ea6c6085dbcbb94.jpg

And the brakes are great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a 2000, now have a 2011. Nothing I've owned has made me laugh uncontrollably in my helmet as the gen 2. It's everything everyone says it is, and more.

Hummmm...... I beg to differ :)
I am with Brett on this one. I would have to see that happen, and I will put mine up against yours as far as looks anyday. But I know yours looks good. As I don't have a updated pic. Work computer, not home computer.

Attachments

• DSC_1094.jpg
    DSC_1094.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back