Winter Projects?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs95t

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm there with all of you who are sadly putting your VMaxes to bed for the winter.

We all see the cold coming, and have heavy hearts about the many months that we must now wait until we can ride again.

And yes, those of us stuck in the Northern parts of the country are completely jealous of you guys that can say you ride all year long.

But during our hibernation, we have an opportunity to satisfy the Mod Monkey and get things ready for spring!

I wanna hear your winter plans!

Mine are as follows:

Mount new Shinkos - tires recvd
Mod up a Venture swing arm ( reduce swing arm flex)
Install COPs and spark plugs
Install new brake and clutch levers
Install new mirrors
Install Galfer SS brake lines
Install Engine Guards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are maybe items:
New headlight system
New luggage/aux tank rack
New tail section.

These are definitely items:
Fluids flush
Plasti-dip experiments
Seat mods.

For me its

Check the valves
Install Seans heavy duty oiling kit
Think about painting the engine
Install aluminum motor mounts
Install braced swing arm

That should keep me busy for a while.

I'm going to powder coat a couple of pieces. The pumpkin for sure, maybe the calipers. Look for a right side switch housing, possibly brace the swingarm. Install a brace I configured for the front forks out of a lower triple tree. Check my engine over, make sure the chain adjusters are doing their job. I might have my rear wheel professionally polished, I never could get it to my liking. I'm determined to be ready for the early rides this spring.

Just moved back to Florida hopefully a little more ride time I want to notch and chrome my swing arm and and purchase a 18 inch rear wheel and radial tires

More leds, hopefully new fork springs, possible Koso gauge, hopefully finishing my tail section, maybe a braced swingarm, and all the usual winter maintenance, checks, and cleaning.

Well, it's not a VMax, but an 83 Yamaha Venture:

VMax heads and cams
2002 RSV transmission
Vboost
Ignitech with VBoost control
COP
VMax differential
1986 wiring harness and associated components (IE: cluster switches, etc)
Redo fuse box and relocate to LH fairing. Same place for Ignitech.
CLASS
Venture Cruise
Bi-xenon headlight (Infiniti G37 donor)
1986 forks
monoblock calipers (blue dots)
ZX7R underslung rear caliper
De-unify those damned "unified" brakes
86 side luggage
85 top box
Big Bikes tail lights and LED conversions
17" rear rim conversion (ZX7R Donor and an 86 Hub to be grafted in)
17" rear rim necessitates swingarm alterations and will add bracing at same time
17" front rim (R6 Donor, modified for 17" speedo drive)
Tires undecided but looking at Michelin pilot road 3 or 4

Would like to make solid mounts and a 320mm disc conversion , but probably just won't have the time to get to those this winter.

Finish with paint (Stock 83 burgundy color, black engine, some chrome)

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

This is all assuming that I can actually stand upright to do the work. My back went out and cut the end of my riding season short. It's taking waaaay too long this time to recover. An hour in the shop at the lathe was about all I could take yesterday and it's really making me pay for it today.

Next year I'll be looking at suspension upgrades and refining anything that needs it after running it for a summer.

I was going to work on the FJ1200 this winter too, but that has to be pushed off to next year as the Venture has ballooned into a huge project that will be a challenge to finish over winter....

Just got my Skinko's TM 120 and 170 yesterday..
Now they're upstairs, in the house, next to my shined up a stock muffler I got on the forum.

Still looking for a set of decent headers to add to the spring list..

Trying to come up with a way I can paint my engine without removing it.
Don't have a garage to work in :-(..

Back