New Noise from my Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
The last few time I've ridden my Max I noticed a new noise and I have to idea what it could be. I wear hearing aids so I make a recording with my phone (in my pocket) as I rode. From a stop I accelerate to about 65 and hold it there. The noise starts out low in pitch the gets higher with speed then stay pretty constant. If I decelerate the noise seems to get quieter. I did do the shotgun on one carb before this noise started. The bike runs great and I don't notice ant performance issues. Thanks in advance.

Doug

Attachments

• Noise.mp3
    545.4 KB · Views: 81
I listened a couple of times Doug. I'm not saying it's not there, but I can't here it on the recording. From your description, I thought it would be a front tire.

I can't hear it. From the description maybe a front or rear wheel bearing?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Stock exhaust. It starts around the 27 second mark. It sounds like a whistle. Thanks all for giving a listen. The noise is not present if I just rev the bike, only when moving. I'll put the bike on my lift and check the rotation the wheels manually to see if I can feel any issues. I'm also going to remove an install the air box to make sure it's set into the boots correctly since the last thing I did was the shotgun. This is like Car Talk 8^).

I vote for a little gear whine under load that redonates either in your helmet or from your windshield or something at certain speeds.

Stock exhaust. It starts around the 27 second mark. It sounds like a whistle. Thanks all for giving a listen. The noise is not present if I just rev the bike, only when moving. I'll put the bike on my lift and check the rotation the wheels manually to see if I can feel any issues. I'm also going to remove an install the air box to make sure it's set into the boots correctly since the last thing I did was the shotgun. This is like Car Talk 8^).

I did hear right at the first a gush of air that i thought was an airbox not completely on tight. Sometimes it is easier to see that it is on correctly with the lid off- kinda hard at night also to see if the boots are all the way down on the carbs too.

To me, I think the sound he is talking about sounds more like a whir than a whistle or just slightly higher pitch exhaust note almost like he needs to shift again. I don't know what it would be though, maybe something to do with the exhaust internals, baffle??? Except I would think it would do that on the bench as well as while riding. Or maybe as Dragmaster said, sucking some extra air from somewhere, airbox or exhaust joints maybe. To me it sounds like if you got it like that from new you wouldn't even notice it but because it's different something has had to have changed. I would check the exhaust clamps at each join.

Matt

Have you changed anything on your bike recently or are using different riding gear?

Is it possible that that the way your hearing aids fit has altered and they are now selectively amplifying specific frequencies.

Perhaps you could get someone else who knows bikes to have a ride and see if they can pick anything up?

I think this could be valid. MaxMidnight often has good ideas about things.

Awhile ago I transported a bed/fly 2-piece ladder on the roof of my truck. The rung ends were open, and as soon as I got onto the expressway, it was like a calliope. The open ends of the aluminum rung extrusions set into the ladder rails began sounding a constant cacophony of noise, and it was loud! If I had to go any great distance, I would have either plugged them or taped them over, it was that intrusive.

Perhaps something similar is happening here, a new piece of kit added to the bike, a new prosthetic amplification device, something on your riding gear, a new helmet?

Have you changed anything on your bike recently or are using different riding gear?

Is it possible that that the way your hearing aids fit has altered and they are now selectively amplifying specific frequencies.

Perhaps you could get someone else who knows bikes to have a ride and see if they can pick anything up?

I can't listen to the noise. It won't open for me, but I had a whine noise that increased and decreased with speed. It was my Pumpkin, Gears on the rear wheel. I put it on the center stand and ran it up to speed. used a screwdriver to my ear to identify where the sound was coming from. Have you tried running it on the centerstand, to see if you get the noise? That could eliminate some of the possibilities.

To all that have responded, thanks for you advice. The only changes make where adjustments to my fly screen, the brackets loosened and it was rubbing against the speedo. And I did the shotgun on one of my carbs. I removed the air box and re-installed it. I noticed one of the clamps rode up and was out of it's groove in the boot so I corrected that. I readjusted my fly scrren again but did not have time to take it out for a ride yesterday. I'll take it out today and give you an update. I like the idea of running it on the center stand to see if the noise created then. Thanks again for the input.

Doug

Just a quick update:

1) Ran the bike on center stand (kinda scary), no noise.
2) Went for a 10 mile ride, Noise present but a bit different
3) Pull in clutch, noise stops, release clutch noise come back.

I'm thinking the this is just gear whine and the changes make to the fly screen reduce wind noise to my helmet and now I hear it. Bike still runs great, no 2nd gear issues and it pulls strong. When I've changed the oil I have not drained the crank case but since I plan on working on my starter clutch this winter that will get done by default. I only have 500 miles on the oil I have in there now (Rotella T) What do you all think ?

Doug

Its probably gear whine.. Mine does it, always has. It turned into kind of a joke with my riding buddies... "You can tell Bills bike by the whistle".

I did hear right at the first a gush of air that i thought was an airbox not completely on tight. Sometimes it is easier to see that it is on correctly with the lid off- kinda hard at night also to see if the boots are all the way down on the carbs too.

Damn that Dragmaxster has a set of ears on him don't he?
Glad you found it.

Latest posts

Back