DIY Cutdown Seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the feel of the stock bars, so far. Then again, I don't know any better because I have yet to ride a vmax with drag bars. I'd be interested to give it a try.
For around $20 you can have a brand new set of drag bars from Python Motosports. I run these and have no issues with them other than I'd maybe like to see what wider than 27 1/2" would be like. :confused2:
If you install drag bars with a pull back watch your clearances with the faux tank, it is close!

Attachments

• IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 56
Here are afew pics of the new saddle I picked up from
Sean. I know the seat section has pics but can't control
myself. There are a few before and afters.
Ride On !!! :eusa_dance:
Chris

Weird pics didn't attach,
I'll try again.

Attachments

• vmax stoplite switch 186.jpg
    vmax stoplite switch 186.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 130
  • vmax stoplite switch 197.jpg
    vmax stoplite switch 197.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 138
  • vmax stoplite switch 189.jpg
    vmax stoplite switch 189.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 140
  • vmax stoplite switch 191.jpg
    vmax stoplite switch 191.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 131
  • vmax stoplite switch 196.jpg
    vmax stoplite switch 196.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 132
For around $20 you can have a brand new set of drag bars from Python Motosports. I run these and have no issues with them other than I'd maybe like to see what wider than 27 1/2" would be like. :confused2:
If you install drag bars with a pull back watch your clearances with the faux tank, it is close!

are the pythons really that cheap? why are the flanders around $100 then?

better chrome on the flanders. His drag bars and my bar offerings are around the same price. There is a thread on here somewhere with what I offer and the measurements.

Sean

I run dirtbike bars, fairly straight with little rise & plenty wide. No clearance issues, different look with the crossbar on there.

I had done this exact same modification to my fz1. Once I reshaped the seat, the bike was twice as comfy than it was. It really is easy to do. I cut mine down with a bread knife actually. I tried the sander but I just couldn't go as slowly as i would have liked. The knife worked like a charm. I just forgot to smooth it out before recovering it but overall it was easier than I thought. No great pictures of it unfortunately

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 49
I've done this mod to mine and combined it with the mod I saw somewhere here using a gel pad. Man what a difference. A tip that one of our interior guys at work showed me is to spray you electric knife blade with a silicone spray. He says it cuts so easy with the spray. I haven't tried it but he does it at work all day like that. Once I can save some $ I will still get a Morley but till then I no longer feel like I'm riding a five gallon bucket!

I too cut down my seat a while back but haven`t gotten around to doing my back seat yet, I have the larger piece of foam to do it but I ride solo anyway so I don`t see the point in doing it yet but, now that I have air shocks on the rear I`ll get around to doing it soon I guess.
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:

Cut my seat down tonight. Let me give a BIG +1 to those who have said to just get a seat from Morley. It is not an easy job, and I now appreciate a lot more why it costs what it does. Anyway, I put a gel pad in (I cut it out of a Bell bicycle seat cover from Walmart), and covered everything with some flanel just to smooth it all out (I didn't have the patience to do it properly, which is a pretty good sign that I shouldn't have been messing with it at all). The vinyl doesn't look too bad, but I'm sure it will wrinkle up in the near future. It does make a signification difference, however. I only got out for 15 minutes tonight, but I have a major ride coming up soon, so hopefully it will save my ass a bit. Big Thanks to all the help on this thread!

Coolness - I plan to put an order in with him over the winter. Hey Ghost I'm looking forward to some kick ass pics of your ride!

As soon as I get the parts installed bro ;)
Hopefully I will get it done tomorrow. I'm still trying to figure out how to jack up my max with the jack i have - because the extremely low hindle 4-1 that I have. I built a brace today to fit around the exhaust - we'll see tomorrow if it works!

All in all, it looks like reasonable enough work for minimal budget. Good job.

On a side note, it also works well if you "borrow" the wifes electric turkey carver!

Sean

Sean I was wondering the same thing about the electric carving knife. I have several friends that do upholstery work, and see them use those all the time. I will also agree a very nice job for the budget!

Gannon

Great instructions Sean, I am an avid DIYourselfer but wouldn't have known where to begin, now I'm ready to attempt what I wouldn't have if it weren't for your post,
thanks

Latest posts

Back